The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No sound from a MA5 in a 4-slot api lunchbox to Apollo Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

No sound from a MA5 in a 4-slot api lunchbox to Apollo

As the normal disclaimer goes, I'm only mildly sure I've posted in the right thread...

Chain is an AT 4033 -> Avedis MA5 in a 4-slot API lunchbox -> Apollo Twin. I'm getting power to the lunchbox and I'm pretty sure all connections are correct and balanced. One issue is that I'm in an older house and none of the outlets have a ground, so am just using one of those plug converters. That being said, I'm getting increased hum from the MA5 when I turn up the Gain it looks like, but no mic signal. I have phantom power on going into the Apollo's line input. Not sure what else to do here.
Happy to provide more info if needed. Very very much appreciative and looking forward to any help. I probably won't have money for repairs for a bit but would reaallyyyy love to be able to use this thing asap.

Thanks very much and all the best
-Price
Old 4 days ago
Try a different slot in the API powered rack. I find that often fixes an issue. If that doesn’t help is this the only module you have to test in your rack, or test the MA5 in a different rack?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchardsmith View Post
As the normal disclaimer goes, I'm only mildly sure I've posted in the right thread...

Chain is an AT 4033 -> Avedis MA5 in a 4-slot API lunchbox -> Apollo Twin. I'm getting power to the lunchbox and I'm pretty sure all connections are correct and balanced. One issue is that I'm in an older house and none of the outlets have a ground, so am just using one of those plug converters. That being said, I'm getting increased hum from the MA5 when I turn up the Gain it looks like, but no mic signal. I have phantom power on going into the Apollo's line input. Not sure what else to do here.
Happy to provide more info if needed. Very very much appreciative and looking forward to any help. I probably won't have money for repairs for a bit but would reaallyyyy love to be able to use this thing asap.

Thanks very much and all the best
-Price
These are my thoughts:

When using an external preamp like in your case you should use the TRS jack input connection on your UA Apollo twin and select the LINE mode in the software. Otherwise you'll not have any signal coming in anyway.
so you have to come out from your lunchbox XLR out and go TRS in into your interface.
Apollo Input Connections Explained – Universal Audio Support Home

Also have you tried to connect your AT4033 with an XLR cable directly into the Apollo interface, selecting the MIC mode (with 48v/Phantom power engaged)? Are you getting any signal? hum? clean?

regarding your specific issues:

1. afaik the API 4 slot is an old API lunchbox, so if you bought it used, that might be one thing to check out (I mean, checking if that used lunchbox works properly). Also how much current (and inrush current) is the 4slot api able to provide? I'm saying this because I don't know nothing of your specific case/situation.

2. it's well known that old api lunchboxes had the "pin1" issue.. the hum you're getting "might" come from this.

3. I don't really understand this: "I have phantom power on going into the Apollo's line input"
do you mean you're getting 48v/Phantom power from the preamp of your Apollo to the output of the old 4 slot api? This "might" be a case of having some issues (I don't know how the 4slot is build and protected).

the only 48v/Phantom power button that you need to engage is the one on the MA5 (going to your condenser mic).
In ANY case what do you want is going into a LINE INPUT on your interface when using your lunchbox as preamp.

4. hopefully all your cables/connections are of good quality and working properly.

5. I'm not sure if it's legal to have electric outlet without ground in 2019.. that might also be something to check out (regarding hum and beyond that for your own safety).

6. the best you could do is to contact your tech and see if he could do something. Eventually contacting Avedis Audio, he might be able to help (and it's usually very helpful). I'd have actually done that first before posting on a public forum.

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 4 days ago at 11:08 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search