The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noise (high freq) when tracking, why and how to get rid of it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Noise (high freq) when tracking, why and how to get rid of it?

Hello,
In short, Here is a wav file with the noise i have recorded, did it ever happen to you, is there a solution for this?

My chain is a vintage u87-->bae dmp 1073-->la2a--->apogee element-->imac pro running Cubase 10.

1st I thought it was because of the Amphion amp in the rack so I turned it off but the issue remained.
Then I tried pushing the power strip further from the preamp because I thought maybe some electrical saturation was present.
Only when I turned off the phantom power and turned back on the noise disappeared only to return 2 min later.

Thanks for helping.
Attached Files

Noise.mp3 (95.8 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by meymia; 5 days ago at 10:26 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not getting any response from the player here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Not getting any response from the player here.
Weird, it plays on my iPhone but not on my Mac, just download it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nothing here either. So i am gonna guess.

Is the sample rate the same between your devices?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
Nothing here either. So i am gonna guess.

Is the sample rate the same between your devices?
Just right click and download.
The sample rate is 88.2 on both Cubase and the converter.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ok heard something. is it the rythmic ticking sound or the stuff behind that which you are disgruntled by?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
ok heard something. is it the rythmic ticking sound or the stuff behind that which you are disgruntled by?
The high pitched frequncy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
The high pitched frequncy.
Than what would 'clicking (too?) mean? (Suggests 'clocking to me.

player still doesn't run and shows volume muted
Does that (this) player even do 88k?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Than what would 'clicking (too?) mean? (Suggests 'clocking to me.

player still doesn't run and shows volume muted
Does that (this) player even do 88k?

Guess that the issue, Right click would download it...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Ok, changed the audio file type to mp3 now its playable.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I haven't listened, but here's a troubleshooting tip: simplify your chain first!

Plug your U87 into your Apogee Element's built-in mic pre, run a test. Any noise? Yes? Try a different mic. Any noise? No? U87 needs to be looked at.

Rinse and repeat down the line, swapping cables too.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I haven't listened, but here's a troubleshooting tip: simplify your chain first!

Plug your U87 into your Apogee Element's built-in mic pre, run a test. Any noise? Yes? Try a different mic. Any noise? No? U87 needs to be looked at.

Rinse and repeat down the line, swapping cables too.
Yup, was just wondering if someone heard this specific noise before and could save me the test.
I am currently checking to see if this is a feedback sound because it seems that whenever I sing it disappears...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
take that compressor out...that's what it sounds like

edit: sounds like you have boatloads of compression so it's bringing up your noise floor when no signal is present. As soon as you sing it kicks in so noise goes away

Last edited by shobud; 3 days ago at 11:18 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yup, was just wondering if someone heard this specific noise before and could save me the test.
I am currently checking to see if this is a feedback sound because it seems that whenever I sing it disappears...
With all due respect, with that amount of money tied up into your signal chain, you could really stand to learn from this and actually go through the troubleshooting process for yourself.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Hello,
In short, Here is a wav file with the noise i have recorded, did it ever happen to you, is there a solution for this?

My chain is a vintage u87-->bae dmp 1073-->la2a--->apogee element-->imac pro running Cubase 10.

1st I thought it was because of the Amphion amp in the rack so I turned it off but the issue remained.
Then I tried pushing the power strip further from the preamp because I thought maybe some electrical saturation was present.
Only when I turned off the phantom power and turned back on the noise disappeared only to return 2 min later.

Thanks for helping.
I once had something similar happen to several takes that I did on a film set when I was using the phantom power on a location recorder. It turns out it was the phantom power was somehow noisy. Came down to a design flaw in the equipment.

I know nothing about the Apogee Element. But I would first try plugging straight into it and using it with and without phantom power in an effort to narrow down what the culprit might be. Then I'd add one piece of equipment at a time to the chain with and without phantom power.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search