The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Resources for learning maintenance/gear construction Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Resources for learning maintenance/gear construction

I've been lurking these forums for over 15 years, but never made an account.

This is a DIY post, but not your typical "which is best/cheapest" post. I'm not interested in pre-designed kits to build gear - I don't need any new gear.
I've got 10 channels of various high quality 1073/1084 (Vintage Neve, Vintechs, original Brent Averill re-racks), 6 API 512c pres, 3124+, several API eqs, a handful of API compressors, an old Nightpro, Distressors, UREI 1176, and more stuff in back storage that I just don't know what to do with.

One thing I have never attempted to learn, out of fear, is maintenance. I've got gear that needs minor repairs that is just sitting around in the back room. I also hate sending out my gear to other shops for repairs. Nothing is worse than wanting to use the vintage 1073s or the UREI and knowing its sitting on someone else's bench for months. Hell my 64 fender twin needed a bit of re-capping and it was out of the studio for over 6 months! Repair rates are climbing and turnaround times are getting unruly. I've moved cross country several times in the last decade and finding reliable/skills techs each time is getting more challenging. I know I will be moving again soon- I've got a PhD and changing universities is just a part of that job. I feel like I need to learn how to repair and troubleshoot my own gear at this point.

I'm no soldering slouch- I've wired and soldered multiple studio set ups in the last 15 years, but these are just cabling set ups. I have no clue how to read schematics. I did mod my old Vintechs after talking to Dallas to upgrade them to their current design, but that was one single tiny mod that anyone could do.

My main question is if anyone knows of any great resources to help me get up to speed on recording equipment maintenance and design? I've got time to spend on this, but I really want an organized approach to learning gear maintenance/repair. I've looked into classes and I have considered them, but I'm not sure how these work (Berkley has an online one, as do others). Are these online classes really effective? How do you even work on gear...unless its repairing your own and I do not want to risk damaging one of my vintage 1073s?

I'd buy a DIY kit if that would help me learn, but I don't want just the mechanical skill (i.e. put this here, solder this here), I want to learn diagnostics, troubleshooting, and theory as well. I want to learn the WHY and not just the how. I've got the time and I don't really spend $ on gear anymore so I'm okay putting resources into this. I know I need to invest in the right tools, but need to know what to buy and what a solid resources to learn from.

I appreciate the help and all of the great knowledge I've learned over the years reading these forums. I really appreciate any recommendations for books, recourses, classes, etc that would help!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Electronics for Dummies.

I'm in the same boat, soldered a buncha cables but never a circuit board. I can read a schematic but no idea why it's built that way. I also have a ton of vintage gear needing a recap. Try not to be offended by the title but E4D is a great learner book, I'm currently reading it. One thing that's surprised me...electronics is actually fun.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

For hands on troubleshooting and component level skills, the best resource on the internet is Mr Carlsons Lab. Very in depth, and if you contribute to his Patreon, he personally walks you thru stuff, step by step. AfrotechMods is another great resource for circuit explanations, and the "WHY" of circuit design and the science behind electronics. If you REALLY want to learn electronic theory and science, The MIT courses 6.002 and 6.003 are the best resources available. The MIT stuff requires time and advanced Math skills. All of these things have helped me, and I fix everything I own, unless I dont have time, and then it goes out to trusted and vetted sources.

The electronics thing is very rewarding, beyond studio and music applications BTW...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I wish I had this ambition. I left my gates sta level and some other gear back in Dayton Ohio and switched to all modern stuff. I miss it.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Good info on the MIT stuff. I actually have a very extensive math background. I wish I had known a few years ago when I was working at another university near there. Are those courses offered online? Thank you to everyone else who has offered suggestions so far as well!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOakwoodRC View Post
Good info on the MIT stuff. I actually have a very extensive math background. I wish I had known a few years ago when I was working at another university near there. Are those courses offered online? Thank you to everyone else who has offered suggestions so far as well!
edx.org...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
edx.org...
Wow. Thanks for this link. Maybe I can finish up my math degree...after 40 years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search