The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Screws on monitor stands
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Screws on monitor stands

Trying to figure out if I'm missing something here.

Bought a pair of these.

Nordell' Premium Floor Speaker Stand (Pair) for Studio Monitors and Hi-Fi Loudspeakers - Create Truer Mixes with Optimum Loudspeaker/Monitor Height and Positioning with Rotating Plate for Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

When they came, the screws for adjusting the height were tightly screwed in place.

Talking about this one

WP-20190113-12-19-41-Rich — imgbb.com

I unscrewed them to lift the stands and they can't be screwed back. I have no clue how they were screwed in the first place, since they're not long enough to reach the hole in the metal rod. The thing is, they're not even made to screw into that rod, since they go into a plastic protector that just sits between the rod and the screw, like so

WP-20190113-12-42-56-Rich — imgbb.com
WP-20190113-12-43-04-Rich — imgbb.com

it doesn't have any hole that the screw goes in, and I can't screw it back on. If I use the silver metal rod to stabilize it, it doesn't work, since the stand will just spin out of control.

Anyone know what I'm missing here and how were these screwed so tightly in the first place?

Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
In principle, the metal pin/rod sets the height (one of 5 positions) of the speaker stand. The finger-tightened wing-bolt squeezes a plastic block interposer against the inner metal tube to keep is from spinning and rattling.

The 'feel' of the problem will tell you what the underlying issue is. If the female threads of the wing-bolt are plastic, then you might be working against a cross-threaded socket caused by some factory shortcut. If the female threads are metal, then it's possible that some kind of anaerobic (thread-locker) compound might be in there.

Does that help?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I doubt it's a factory shortcut, since both of these have exactly the same issue. That finger-tightened wing bolt can't be screwed in, since there isn't really a female thread in the plastic thing, it's just a whole that you can't screw anything in.

I'm not sure about the thread locking. Could it be they had been thread-locked since when I first got them out, they unscrewed just like from a normal female thread? But when I tried to screw them back in, it didn't work, it was almost like there was a vacuum holding them in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search