The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problem with my tapemachine – help needed (Video inside)
Old 5 days ago
Problem with my tapemachine – help needed (Video inside)

hi, i've got a problem with my teac a3300sx tapemachine. when pressing PLAY the tape gets let down ... same when i try to RECORD.
the right reel doesn't move, so is it's motor broken? it work until the day before without problems any help is welcome.

short video here:

Last edited by zinzin; 5 days ago at 01:42 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Might be the motor on the take up reel. What happens if you fast forward?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
no fast forward, only rewind. yep, must be the motor ...
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Happened to me on a TASCAM with (looks like) the same transport. It turned out to be wear and tear in the clutch assembly, as I recall, the takeup reel clutch no longer engaged. I could hear the motor spinning but the take-up wouldn't work in play. (Can't remember if it would engage in fast wind, though.) [EDIT: I can't remember if that clutch/takeup repair required parts.]

Find a good TASCAM tech who can find spare parts or fabricators. (Mechanical types who understand basic tape deck function might want to explore it themselves but I'm assuming if the OP is asking here, that's not him. Still, it *might* be something as simple as something that's come loose or needs to be tightened; I'm afraid I can't remember just how that assembly is set up. I do remember taking the thing apart a few times to mess with the take up assembly, so maybe I was fixing a recurring problem in that regard. Sorry, a lot of water under the bridge in the last three and a half decades. And more than a few multitracks.)

Also, since that's a solenoid control model, if there's NO mechanical sound when you try to engage it (no 'thunk') or motor whirr, check the solenoid in question (or have it checked). Obviously, it's helpful to find a shop manual online or elsewhere if you're going to be working on it yourself. Unfortunately, sometime in the late 80s, TASCAM cut off non-authorized repair/dealers from parts supply. I don't know if they ever reversed that. But, of course, with a 30 or 40 year old deck, that wouldn't be an option, anyhow.

Good luck!

Last edited by theblue1; 5 days ago at 07:36 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Happened to me on a TASCAM with (looks like) the same transport. It turned out to be wear and tear in the clutch assembly, as I recall, the takeup reel clutch no longer engaged. I could hear the motor spinning but the take-up wouldn't work in play. (Can't remember if it would engage in fast wind, though.)

Find a good TASCAM tech who can find spare parts or fabricators. (Mechanical types who understand basic tape deck function might want to explore it themselves but I'm assuming if the OP is asking here, that's not him. Still, it *might* be something as simple as something that's come loose or needs to be tightened; I'm afraid I can't remember just how that assembly is set up. I do remember taking the thing apart a few times to mess with the take up assembly, so maybe I was fixing a recurring problem in that regard. Sorry, a lot of water under the bridge in the last three and a half decades. And more than a few multitracks.)

Also, since that's a solenoid control model, if there's NO mechanical sound when you try to engage it (no 'thunk') or motor whirr, check the solenoid in question (or have it checked). Obviously, it's helpful to find a shop manual online or elsewhere if you're going to be working on it yourself. Unfortunately, sometime in the late 80s, TASCAM cut off non-authorized repair/dealers from parts supply. I don't know if they ever reversed that. But, of course, with a 30 or 40 year old deck, that wouldn't be an option, anyhow.

Good luck!
yeah, i am TOTALLY no expert, though i have the manual with the assembly parts plan. i will take it to a tech as i am still using it for certain drum tracks and i love it's sound.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
yeah, i am TOTALLY no expert, though i have the manual with the assembly parts plan. i will take it to a tech as i am still using it for certain drum tracks and i love it's sound.
Hopefully it's an easy fix. Again, good luck!
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Connectors: check/deox all of 'em. Plugs/sockets, edge connectors if any, fuse holders. I know of a Studer B67 where the takeup motor wouldn't work in play/rec, but worked in FF/Rew, and it turned out to be a dirty fuse holder.

WW
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Way View Post
Connectors: check/deox all of 'em. Plugs/sockets, edge connectors if any, fuse holders. I know of a Studer B67 where the takeup motor wouldn't work in play/rec, but worked in FF/Rew, and it turned out to be a dirty fuse holder.

WW
gonna try. thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while since I've looked at one), the 3300s used relays to control the reel motors; if that's the case, there may also be a bad relay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search