The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hard to believe - This Year - 2019 - will mark 25 years..... DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Hard to believe - This Year - 2019 - will mark 25 years.....

of Pro Tools DAW production for me. Unbelievable as I started thinking about it this evening. It seems like it was just yesterday, and I KNOW there are guys here who have been rocking PT since the Sound Tools years....

I started in with Pro Tools in 1994 : with a purchase of Pro Tools II and those freaking 424 interfaces. And I remember the $3000 650 MB - yeah MB - hard drive. LOL My how hi tech has advanced. I was stoked when those 2 GIG firewire drives matured and we could dump SCSI. Over the years, I must have purchased $70k in drives for myself and clients. Easily. Now we have 8TB+ drives for far less than I used to buy a 1G drive for.

My first iteration of Pro Tools was when I injected it into a traditional 2" analog tape / console based studio -- synchronized with my MCI JH24 and 3/4" Panasonic Video decks via timeline Lynx synchronizers. Later with MDM's (DA-88's and ADAT's and MCI and Video) - that was a synchronization challenge. And eventually ending up to standing on it's own as the backbone of my music production system.

I've gone thru the 424 years, the Nubus Mac II ci years where 20MB of ram cost me almost a grand, on to the 888 and 888/24 years, headlong into HD and now HDX years with the (not so recent) AAX paradigm shift away from TDM.

Wow. If I had to add up all the money spent on interfaces, computers and software.... Still, what a powerhouse of a system PT has always been for me. I've always been DSP based, and never looked back.

What a wild 25 years. Like it or not, Pro Tools has had a major impact on music production (especially in the LA film world where I mostly work), and especially for me as my 120 input D&R console and MCI tape machines are now gone. I'm currently rocking an HDX2 system with 96 i/o for a hybrid analog / digital mixing / tracking workflow - pushing hard toward integrating more and more analog back into my DAW mixing environment via PT's hardware inserts, and happier than ever with a hybrid PT / Analog mixing approach.

Here's wishing for another healthy 25!!! (Don't mess it up Avid.....)

Just a little retrospective perspective for those of you rocking a killer DAW on your laptop. It wasn't always so powerful, streamlined or easy.

Last edited by drBill; 1 week ago at 07:42 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yep was a long time ago. I started on a Session 8

Used it mainly for vocal overdubs synced to a 2" tape machine. I did hated it back then and somewhat still do today, only digital is far more economical these days.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'm a mere tyke, only been on PT since 1999.

First DAW was AMS AudioFile (+ 24-track) in around 1991, then Fairlight at my next job. The head engineer and head tech at that place spent a major portion of each day creaming their jeans over Fairlight while crapping all over the very idea of PT,* which I bought into. But then I got fired and needed something affordable and workable right away. I played around with the little 8-track PT Free and as soon as I discovered that the automation would follow the sound clip, I was totally sold.

* trying to reassure and convince themselves, which I didn't realize at the time.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 1 week ago at 04:58 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I converted in 2007 after the Cakewalk ship began to sink. Not sorry I did. It was so nice not to have a session crash every 15 minutes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Yeah, it's amazing when you think about the amount of "DAW Ground" we've covered in 20-25 years. Very few companies even survive that long in the pro audio field. AVID has made me rethink using PT at times, but then I consider the options, and the time I've got into PT and it's power and say to myself "why change".... I think I'm in for the duration.
Old 1 week ago
n00b

Been rocking Performer since ~ '87.

I remember my band had a record coming out in '94 and we wanted to add some little snippets between tracks, à la Floyd. There was one studio in town (we knew of) with Pro Tools and we dumped the mixes in his system and did it. Seemed like magic at the time.

Wasn't until ~ '98 that I took the plunge to Digital Performer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i started with - and not sure the year ... ProDECK and ProEDIT software / about 1994 - then PTIII with 882 interface / then 24 bit - thank heaven for that .. biggest change that made me get up and say good bye 16bit .. 888/24, then HD .. and after PT9 been using 3rd party hardware for my personal systems ..

now PT2018.12 with Babyface Pro Interface and Logic X for Writing, together make a good powerful small system ..

Happy 25 years here too !!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
n00b

Been rocking Performer since ~ '87.

I remember my band had a record coming out in '94 and we wanted to add some little snippets between tracks, à la Floyd. There was one studio in town (we knew of) with Pro Tools and we dumped the mixes in his system and did it. Seemed like magic at the time.

Wasn't until ~ '98 that I took the plunge to Digital Performer.

Yeah, I was on performer back in that era too. I can't remember exactly when, but I probably came on around the late 80's - or maybe '90. I think my first version was 1.x or something and later, I was running it on a Mac Classic fishbowl.

When DP came out, I had it running on PT hardware almost from day 1. That worked fairly well until Digi and MOTU figured out they were competitors. LOL Then things took a dump.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

and Logic on Digi Hardware Too !!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1994.....protools........ Hahaha.... I picked up saw and dal cards instead.

Lentini had his namm booth in the basement for those first three years while protools, opcode, passport & all those guys had the prime upstairs Hall spots.

I'd go upstairs to my friends at passport and say "wtf aren't you getting in to this?". They'd say they were working on it.... But alas...like arp working on the chroma.....

Lentini demo'd s.a.w like a pirate madman compared to the upstairs guys. I took to his infomercial namm approach right away

As I already had (starting in 1992) a wall full of synchronized/networked 386s/486s/p1/ connected to the console and tape machines, inserting saw/dal in 1994 was pretty easy.

Ran 4 instances of it on several zeos machines at first. While never the power of a protools pile of hardware, it was perfect for me at that time.

1997 saw the arrival of a bazillion new tools beyond emerging daw stuff, so I dove into that as well.

I'm glad I took the hall d route instead of hall b.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search