The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need dark 47 ish mic suggestion for piercing opera voice Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd agree with the ribbon mic suggestions. Also, a good dynamic eq like the Waves c1 compressor can really help with this kind of thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Brent Hahn made the best recommendations to resolve the subject problem. Trained "Big Voice "singers project much further out that natural voice performers. I used the card pattern AT4060 tube 3+ ft. away from the trained tenor singer Steven Rydell's "Goin' Home" project with great success. I recorded the big voice in a tracking room with 14,000+ cu.ft. of open space. A huge tracking room + Big vocal projection + Good quality card pattern tube mic (place the mic far enough away from the singer to allow for the resonant vibes to bloom) I will occasionally deploy Multi-band compression to reduce soprano spikes such as the OP is experiencing.
( I will try to add an MP3 track this afternoon if I have the time)
Hugh
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
Brent Hahn made the best recommendations to resolve the subject problem.
Thank you, Hugh. But truth be told, all I did was ask questions.

Then again, sometimes a question can be more than just a question. Like when my mother said to me, "So what did the tailor say when you told him the sleeves were too long?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just pull out 2.2k
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The king of all mics is full, not dark lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you want, try the 47 clone that I have developed together with famous mic guru Jörgen Thuresson. We Call it 47M (M for mini). In this video the mic is black. It is a custom color. It will be possible to get them in brown bakelite.
(It is used on lead vocals)

Get for SEK7000 or around USD775 / €680
+ 25%VAT. Possible to buy without VAT aswell.
Shipping from Sweden

It is no plugins in the mix. The sound from the mic´s straight in.
Mixed only with the faders.

The only thing "added" is a Hall from Bricasti M7 patched in on vocals while recording,
And very little TC M3000 program 134, patched in on strings also while recording this live take.

Last edited by Berndalen; 4 weeks ago at 12:22 AM.. Reason: mix info
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
put the mic at larger distance, angle it differently, use a wider pattern, put up a pop filter - but more importantly, use a dynamic eq while mixing, not a 'eq preset' from a mic!

i'm often using either a tlm170r, u67 or even a schoeps sdc at some distance...
"soothe" from Ooeksound works wonders on spiky voices - but getting it as good as you can at source obviously comes first!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndalen View Post
If you want, try the 47 clone that I have developed together with famous mic guru Jörgen Thuresson. We Call it 47M (M for mini). In this video the mic is black. It is a custom color. It will be possible to get them in brown bakelite.

Shipping from Sweden

The only thing "added" is a Hall from Bricasti M7 patched in on vocals while recording,
And very little TC M3000 program 134, patched in on strings also while recording this live take.
Interesting - do you have a link to more info..!?

::
Mads
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Interesting - do you have a link to more info..!?

::
Mads
There is no links I´m afraid. Everything except the capsule is manufactured in Stockholm/Sweden. There will be no advertising, it seem to sell itself The first batch of 30pcs sold out before they was built.

The valve sound is recreated with surface mounted electronics. Old sound achieved with new technology and Jörgen Thuressons cleaver mind.

Just send me a PM if you want to be on the list for batch 2!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Shipping from Sweden

Hi sounds really good in the video. I have never owned a real 47. How close is it to a 47?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Recorded with Lomo 19a18 into a Calrec 1161 and Calrec DL 1656, mic was about a meter away...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Moving say 10-15inches away can help. Sing one inch below the capsule center can work wonders.
Moving 10-15 feet away can also help. When I record Classical music, I try to do it in a performance hall and I set my mics up in the "audience'. Seventh Row Center as they say....

This, IMO is how opera music is intended to be heard, so the idea of recording an opera singer the way you would record a pop or jazz singer seems wrong to me. Once the proper distance is achieved, the mic you thought was 'wrong' may well turn out to be the best mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
Hi sounds really good in the video. I have never owned a real 47. How close is it to a 47?
Thanks! we have listened to our clone side by side with a U47 throughout the development process.
We changed the sound in our microphone until we thought it sounded a little better than the U47!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just went to NAMM Saturday, another line of microphones-along with the mighty U67, I would seriously consider is...

Bock 67 and U99. Both are somewhat "darker", than the Neumann U67. The U99 at around $2600, is on my eventual vocal mic radar.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
We changed the sound in our microphone until we thought it sounded a little better than the U47!
There's lots of mics that sound better than a U47 in certain applications. So what you've ended up with is something that a lot of people will like better than a U47 but a lot of people won't because it sounds different.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
There's lots of mics that sound better than a U47 in certain applications. So what you've ended up with is something that a lot of people will like better than a U47 but a lot of people won't because it sounds different.
It is really impossible to know what people like. But at least it seems we have found something that the majority likes.

Here we have our 67 clone that is still under development.
In the blind test here, about 50% likes our first version, about 30% our second version and about 20% U67 original.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Cool Do you have any soundclip comparisons to a U47? Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I demo'ed the WA47 for about a month, and it's a quality mic that would probably be great for a harsher sounding source.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I demo'ed the WA47 for about a month, and it's a quality mic that would probably be great for a harsher sounding source.
As far as I have heard. The WA has "that china top". Hardest thing to achieve seem to be to tame the high freq in the K47 capsule...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as I have heard. The WA has "that china top". Hardest thing to achieve seem to be to tame the high freq in the K47 capsule...
You heard way wrong.
Honestly, it's one of the most forgiving condenser mics I've ever used (with regard to the high frequencies). I actually considered giving up my R84 during the demo period.

Last edited by Shannon Adkins; 1 week ago at 03:54 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Put the mighty 44 ribbon on your shortlist too!
Chris
Yeah man, i got one last year and vocalists LOVE IT. Gorgeous vocal mic! And not in any way dull or unexciting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Congrats on the 44!! If the entertainment side, of my life ever takes off... Wes Dooley/AEA knows he "has me," for one too!

The Warm WA-47 is my favorite microphone from Warm. No sibilance issues for me also, when singing through it. (Very bright voice here)

BTW Shannon, glad to see you already feel up for singn'!

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I had a 44 on loan from AEA for a week. Amazing mic!
Interestingly, I cut a few vocals with it and my R84 at the same time, and could not tell them apart. I had the 44 back a bit further to account for the extra proximity effect. So if you don't need to mic from a distance, the R84 holds its own against its big brother.
I will add, though, that the 44 was a better performer with lower end pres. When I couldn't tell the two mics apart, they were both going through an AEA TRP. But when they didn't have the benefit of being loaded with super high impedance, it was actually very easy to hear the difference, and the 44 shined.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Congrats on the 44!! If the entertainment side, of my life ever takes off... Wes Dooley/AEA knows he "has me," for one too!

The Warm WA-47 is my favorite microphone from Warm. No sibilance issues for me also, when singing through it. (Very bright voice here)

BTW Shannon, glad to see you already feel up for singn'!

Chris
Thanks Chris! Still not singing yet, though. I was thinking about giving it a go today, just to see how it feels. You don't realize how much you love doing something until you can't do it.
I've been so bored... Yesterday I got one of those Cajon kits where you put it together yourself, at home. That was fun, but didn't last long enough... Lol.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sure, and thanks for the R84 tip!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I had a AEA 44 on loan for a month or so. Amazing mic. I was so jealous of myself. I own a R84 and as much as I love it it didn’t hold a candle to the 44 to me. I had been tracking a vocalist doing vintage style jazz standards. We started with a great old RCA 77dx. It took her a minute to adjust to the 44 because she loved the 77 so much, but damn that 44 won us both over.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I had a AEA 44 on loan for a month or so. Amazing mic. I was so jealous of myself. I own a R84 and as much as I love it it didn’t hold a candle to the 44 to me. I had been tracking a vocalist doing vintage style jazz standards. We started with a great old RCA 77dx. It took her a minute to adjust to the 44 because she loved the 77 so much, but damn that 44 won us both over.
What kind of pre were you using? As I said, when I wasn't running them through the TRP, I heard a stark difference. And I also felt more inspired when singing through the 44. But I'll be darned if they weren't identical on my voice, in my room, through the TRP, with the 44 back about another 12" from the 84.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
What kind of pre were you using? As I said, when I wasn't running them through the TRP, I heard a stark difference. And I also felt more inspired when singing through the 44. But I'll be darned if they weren't identical on my voice, in my room, through the TRP, with the 44 back about another 12" from the 84.
Millennia Hv-3.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
This is my experience as well. The 44 is very much different from the R84.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Somewhere I have files of a vocal shootout I did with both of them. I'll see of I can find them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search