The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which AKG C414? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When Ty Ford reviewed the XLS, he also had a good opinion of them-And I agree!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
This thread is getting silly. The xls models I use are very nice.

There is nothing about their sound that makes me stop and wish for the 1974 and 1975 models I owned.
Thank you, some common sense finally said. I love the new ones more than any older model of the 414
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

So basically everyone likes the type of 414 they've got.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Either that or we all hate them and they are made in China (0:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Piano and choir? I’d rather have a pair of Audix SCX-25A’s than new 414’s. They’re cardioid only, but lovely-sounding mics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a ULS that I usually like quite a bit.

I have found this article helpful when looking at 414's

Curing Condenser Confusion: An Audio History of the AKG C 414
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Thank you, some common sense finally said. I love the new ones more than any older model of the 414
I don't get it. There's like one post in this thread that kind of goes in the direction of bashing modern 414's. And we have all these people chiming in and saying how silly and off the tracks this thread has gone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Piano and choir? I’d rather have a pair of Audix SCX-25A’s than new 414’s. They’re cardioid only, but lovely-sounding mics.
I'm also going to check out mic's by Gefell.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On a slightly different tack, and an increased budget! any opinions on this?

Studiomikrofon UM 92.1 S

It would give me a much needed LDC as I don't have one in my mic draw.
But, this sector of the market is quite crowded, a new can of worms could be opened.
Old 1 week ago
I actually was thinking of picking up a AKG 414 Gold but as I have several mics with a a boost in the 3 k area, I believe the ULS Silver mic will be the better choice.

I am not against buying older microphones but once it is over 5 years old your taking more of a chance as the opportunity to be dropped, spit into and mishandled increases. The latest 414's have not changed in over 14 years so any older 414 will have some long mileage on it.

Last edited by Jason rocks; 1 week ago at 03:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually was thinking of picking up a AKG 414 Gold but as I have several mics with a a boost in the 3 k area, I believe the ULS Silver mic will be the better choice.

I am not against buying older microphones but once it is over 5 years old your taking more of a chance as the opportunity to be dropped, spit into and mishandled increases.
Yes, I've had awful experiences buying secondhand, especially from EBay.
I'll never do it again with mic's.
One guy sent a Beyer M88 just wrapped in a bit of brown paper! It was totally wrecked, and dented. Another guy sent me an MKH40 that hummed like crazy. I got my money back, but it's just a lot of unwanted hassle. You wouldn't believe what people do.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger View Post
Thanks folks, the XLS seems to be the current one, I need them now and don't want to wait around searching for two good ones. Is the difference in sound between the old and new ones like chalk and cheese?
I have a recent XLS, and it's a very good and versatile workhorse mic.
If a song doesn't become a hit, it certainly won't be because it used an XLS instead of any other ("vintage") 414.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yes!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not against buying older microphones but once it is over 5 years old your taking more of a chance as the opportunity to be dropped, spit into and mishandled increases.
hi Jason. i wouldnt discount a mic purchase due to age.

i have many old microphones and all work wonderfully well.

most real studios know how to look after their gear, especially microphones, and i have not see many vocal sessions, without a pop filter being used.

my last purchase was an RCA-77dx from the 50s and it is pristine.

im happy to buy old stuff if the vendor is reputable. plus they go up in value.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Which AKG C414?-rca-neumann.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thats a good endorsement for a microphone.

everyone loves them.....

great on hi hats too...ha ha....

Buddha
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
hi Jason. i wouldnt discount a mic purchase due to age.

i have many old microphones and all work wonderfully well.

most real studios know how to look after their gear, especially microphones, and i have not see many vocal sessions, without a pop filter being used.

my last purchase was an RCA-77dx from the 50s and it is pristine.

im happy to buy old stuff if the vendor is reputable. plus they go up in value.

Buddha
I agree with you but your always taking a chance, especially on Ebay or Reverb.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with you but your always taking a chance, especially on Ebay or Reverb.
yes i dont buy from anyone who doesnt have at least a 97% posertive feedback.

also i look at the type of things they have previously sold, and if the transaction went well.

also i have found that if communication is not good before the sale, then problems are more likely to occur.

Buddha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Heed Buddha's wise words!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Random thoughts... I have an XLII that does exactly what I bought it for, crisp, clear, full, and real. Most of the time, that's what I want. Not real thrilled with tube pres and color either. Much easier to add it later, than it is to get rid of it, if it doesn't work.

I buy a lot of used, low end mics. Germs? Lol... I did 20 years in construction. My kids each did 6 years in grade school, slurping up cloakroom snot and bringing it straight home to my face when they got sick. I work for a production/rental house, and crew for a busy band, now.

Wash your flippin hands, and don't lick audio equipment. If you don't have a tolerance built up, you'll just get sickER when you do get sick. Then, probably pass your mutated super germs on to ME.

Sack up.

In the words of an old electrician who saw me struggling with a tool that wasn't plugged in...

"Hit doan jump at far, Sonny!"

The cheapos add variety and flexibility, for not much cash. They're fun to experiment with, satisfy GAS jones, and occasionally you find a gem.

Like 4 Crown CM700 SDCs for $70 each. I drove 100 miles a SECOND time to pick up the second pair after I heard the first pair on ac gtr.

The rental house has a pair of B-ULS. Boss won't sell em, but he likes me, so he'll rent em to me for $20/week. You won't get that rate.

I had to bench test a pile of old Shure 6 channel mixers. They have phantom, and I wanted to do a complete test, who wouldn't. Nobody there to say no, so I went straight for the 414s.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.

Thick and rich.

;-)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I would advise you to at least look at the Warm Audio WA-14.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've bought several used mics and have been burned more than once. Luckily, the last two times it was from Guitar Center, so I just took them back.
On the 414 thing, there's definitely nothing wrong with the new ones.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm going to order two 414's, I don't have any LDC's, and two of these is less than the cost of one Neumann. I know they will get used a lot.
I'm also pulling the trigger on two Senhiesser MKH20's, after much recommendation.
These four mic's should give me a lot more options and will be very valuable additions to my kit.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm also pulling the trigger on two Senhiesser MKH20's, after much recommendation.
When Hugh reviewed the Gefell M221 he said that his two favourite omnis were the MKH 20 and the Gefell M 221.

Quote:
I’ll always love my MKH20s, but I fear I may have just become completely infatuated with the M221!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
I bought an aka c414 b-xls as my first serious mic for home recording, and used it as my main tracking mic for about ten years. Was a solid, pretty neutral sounding workhorse mic. Favorite applications were acoustic and mono overhead. It really worked fine on just about everything, though. I sometimes found it a bit flat and uninspiring for vocal tracking, but I'm also not the greatest singer so maybe my vocals were just flat and uninspiring Anyway, never was able to compare it directly to other models, but it always did what I needed it to do, which was deliver accurate recordings of whatever I put in front of it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
When Hugh reviewed the Gefell M221 he said that his two favourite omnis were the MKH 20 and the Gefell M 221.
Stop it John you're confusing me! We all know the answer to these types of dilemmas, get both!

Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Stop it John you're confusing me! We all know the answer to these types of dilemmas, get both!

If you want to compare - I do have both I can lend you.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's a workhorse mic!
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
AKG no longer has any operations in Austria. They have been bought and sold many times over and are now owned by Samsung. They are a completely different company now. You trust AKG to know what they are doing, but do you trust Samsung to make a good 414?

The brass capsules are very difficult to make and they would have to charge a ton of money to make them that way, and therefore would sell few microphones. Samsung wants them to sell products that will move the revenue needle for their giant multinational corporation, so not brass capsule 414s.

The new 414s are decent, but not a very good value and there are lots of compromises in the manufacturing now. I don’t hate the new ones but there are other mics I would rather spend my money on.

well...yes. harman (samsung) took over 2016 i think the xls where in production since 2004. i own a quartet 0f 414 that are definitely made before samsung bought the company.
money is the root of all evil, and capitalism is unstoppable.
on the other hand, i think my next car will be a corean model, (fuel cell)
sadly enough north america and europe oberslept the progress.
in my opinion mikrophones are no rocket sience and why wont samsung
be able to develop stellar mikes also? Over here in germany we dont have a single factory that produces lithium ion accumulators. that says alot!
Old 4 minutes ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. bibber View Post
well...yes. harman (samsung) took over 2016 i think the xls where in production since 2004. i own a quartet 0f 414 that are definitely made before samsung bought the company.
money is the root of all evil, and capitalism is unstoppable.
on the other hand, i think my next car will be a corean model, (fuel cell)
sadly enough north america and europe oberslept the progress.
in my opinion mikrophones are no rocket sience and why wont samsung
be able to develop stellar mikes also? Over here in germany we dont have a single factory that produces lithium ion accumulators. that says alot!
Actually, Harman bought AKG in 1994, and Samsung bought Harman in 2016.

Seems I ruffled a few feathers by calling the new 414s "decent." I didn't think decent was such a bad term.

The only reason I chimed in is because someone mentioned AKG and Austria. I know it's a nice idea of Austrian engineers in white lab coats making boutique audio gear, but unfortunately it's not accurate. Those Austrian engineers were all fired.

The AKG company of today has nothing to to do with the AKG company from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. And the microphones? Well, they still have edge terminated capsules.

This just goes to show the power of a brand and this is the kind of thing that gets used as a case study in MBA classes. "See, as long as you buy the brand you can do absolutely anything to a company and the customers will stay loyal!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search