The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Engineering Society @ NAMM 2019
Old 28th December 2018
Audio Engineering Society @ NAMM 2019

As an AES Life member, I really want to be supportive of this program, but it's hard for me to get my enthusiasm up for it. Maybe it's simply that I'm not the right kind of customer. The full program is out now, and, like last year, it leans pretty heavily on the gear manufacturers offering training on their products, and more on the live/production side than on the studio side of things. There doesn't seem to be much about fundamentals, more about specific applications. And it's kind of pricey.

I had hoped that they would offer more of the Project Studio Expo and Live Sound Expo kind of presentations that have been a features of the last several AES shows. They do have a "Main Stage" (it's actually a hotel ballroom) program of hour-or-so presentation, a few of which might be of interest to musicians and personal studio folks, but [email protected] program requires a separate registration from NAMM, starting at $99 for a day. This is different from at AES, where those Expo programs are conducted on the show exhibit floor, and are accessible to anyone with an AES badge, even the (free to most) Exhibits Plus badge.

Even though it's not free, I believe that the AES/NAMM partnership is a good idea. It's beginning to look like West Coast AES Conventions might be a thing of the past, but at least they're keeping technical and hands-on training alive for those who can't come to New York.

One thing that the partnership has brought us (you probably already have heard about it) is that with the new Anaheim Convention Center Annex, they've put most of the audio-related exhibitors together on two floors, and that's attracted several AES exhibitors who don't usually show at NAMM - probably because it gives them exposure to West Coasters who don't travel to New York. Last year it was much like a slightly smaller AES exhibit with the real technical people on hand to answer real technical questions.

You need a NAMM badge to get into the exhibits, but, thanks to the AES partnership, you can get a full NAMM registration for NAMM for $25 using the promo code [email protected] You need to fill out a qualification form, but if you're a regular visitor to Gearslutz, you'll have no problem qualifying. That doesn't get you into the AES technical program (that's where the $99 comes in), but in addition to the audio exhibits, you can bang on drums, make guitars feed back, and stuff your pockets with free flat picks. Don't forget your ear plugs! And NAMM's TEC Tracks, the educational part of the show, has a few sessions that might interest you.

Useful links:
[email protected] technical training program - There are links from that page to register for classes and instructions for registering for a NAMM badge with the AES discount.

AES&NAMM Class Schedule

The NAMM badge gets you into everything but the [email protected] training sessions.
The [email protected] badge gets you into the training sessions but not into the NAMM show itself. You can register for either or both.

See you there. Maybe Jules will buy drinks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search