The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API 512c vs CAPI VP312
Old 22nd December 2018
  #1
Gear Nut
 

API 512c vs CAPI VP312

I know these two have been compared elsewhere, but:

I'm getting the Cranborne 500R8, and need some channels for it. I have the opportunity to buy either a used CAPI VP312 for $400 or a used API 512c for $675. Both in excellent shape.

I do need a DI, and the API would take care of that. So it's got that going for it.

Apart from that, thoughts?

(I should add that the API 512c is normally $1,100 new here where I live, and importing it for a lower new price + import taxes would cost the same).
Old 22nd December 2018
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

The main thing the CAPI has going for it is the output trim, so you can drive it without needing an external pad or trimmer. The API has the DI, of course, and the front XLR mic input, and it'll resell faster for more money. I'd buy the API along with the one remaining UTC H-25 Transformer-Trimmer box that someone might coincidentally have up for sale on Reverb. :-)
Old 23rd December 2018
  #3
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
That's a tough one, I like them both.

I do like having the DI option, that might sway me.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #4
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
I haven't tried the VP312, but I own 512B's (essentially the same as C's), CAPI VP-26's, and VP-28's. I prefer the Capi's usually over the API. And certainly, the output trim is invaluable - especially if you're recording loud sources such as drums, loud gtrs, etc.. That said, the DI on the 512's is very sweet. Love it on Bass and DI guitars.

The CAPI's sound more vintage to me, the 512's a little more modern (even though they are not really "modern".)

If I was starting out and buying from scratch - I'd buy the CAPI's - or something else.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That's a tough one, I like them both.

I do like having the DI option, that might sway me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I haven't tried the VP312, but I own 512B's (essentially the same as C's), CAPI VP-26's, and VP-28's. I prefer the Capi's usually over the API. And certainly, the output trim is invaluable - especially if you're recording loud sources such as drums, loud gtrs, etc.. That said, the DI on the 512's is very sweet. Love it on Bass and DI guitars.

The CAPI's sound more vintage to me, the 512's a little more modern (even though they are not really "modern".)

If I was starting out and buying from scratch - I'd buy the CAPI's - or something else.
I have some synths and drum machines, though, which makes the DI appealing. But no plans for DI guitar, and prob no DI bass for now.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #6
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
If you're not worried about the DI too much the VP312 is a great option.

I haven't tried the VP28 but I prefer the VP312 over the VP26 in my own comparisons. It's my favorite.

I feel obligated to build a VP28 sometime soon though to find out.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #7
Deleted 2915a84
Guest
I preferred the API to CAPI.

I kept my A2D and sold the CAPI red dot.

I know the A2D is a 312 but my 2500 and 200 series rack (filter, line amps) all had a similar special something.

The CAPI sounded “too” vintage for my taste.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #8
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyacier View Post
I preferred the API to CAPI.

I kept my A2D and sold the CAPI red dot.

I know the A2D is a 312 but my 2500 and 200 series rack (filter, line amps) all had a similar special something.

The CAPI sounded “too” vintage for my taste.
Which CAPI did you have?

That was my problem with the stock CAPIs I built

I replaced the input transformers with a more modern Cinemag CMMI-8APC and I got some "keepers" that have been my main preamps for many years now

starting with the VP312

you can get quite a few different tones by swapping different op amps. I really like the various GAR op amps, and Brad's LTL Rogue Five opamps are also great.

Right now the GAR AM10 is rocking my socks in these. Sort of a "quad eight" sound quality, it works on anything for me, that is what I love about these.
Old 28th February 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

I built a couple of the Capi vp312's and I love them! so versatile... I put red dots in mine... Then to compliment them I built a couple of Soundskulptor mp573's...
Old 1st March 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
These CAPIs are calling my name...
Old 1st March 2019
  #11
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL1 View Post
These CAPIs are calling my name...
I can't say enough good things... other than I want more.
Old 1st March 2019
  #12
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
For the record I think I meant to type CMMI-8PCA in my earlier post. The one that is PCB mount.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Curious is anyone is using the 312 Platinums and have opinions to share. Not seeing much on those...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump