The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Fusion vs Neve Portico II Master Buss / Alts
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Head
SSL Fusion vs Neve Portico II Master Buss / Alts

Anyone who owns either of these units please post your opinions on them, and if anyone has demo'd both, I'd love to hear your thoughts and preference.

And any alternatives that are more worthy of being in a studio rack please open the discussion, not heard much about the Fusion yet.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Fusion vs Neve Portico II Master Buss / Alts-ssl-fusion.jpg   SSL Fusion vs Neve Portico II Master Buss / Alts-ssl-fusion.jpg  
Old 25th December 2018
Gear Nut

Sweetwater is telling me they expect their first Fusion models in around January 10th.
Edit: Now they're telling me a non-specific February.

Last edited by occam; 31st January 2019 at 06:30 PM..
Old 20th January 2019
Here for the gear
I preordered one around 3 months ago and they just shipped it yesterday. I’m expecting it next week and will hit you with review when I try it!
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut
Would love to hear about this!
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusicNY View Post
Would love to hear about this!
Well I’m still experimenting it.
What I found so far that the saturation is sweet. I like the high frequencies compressor. I think the shelf eq is little harsh on the highs.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Head
Its a beautiful looking bit of kit; only issue for me is I much prefer the signal indicator on the Portico II MB

They both are what I would consider variants of the same kind. Im convinced SSL modelled their Fusion on creating a product to rival Portico MB.

It is half the price however, these are the only things atm I would consider to put above my Fireface.
Old 21st February 2019
Have both and for my $ MBP is in another league over the Fusion. Most usable thing about the SSL is the drive and personally I have other gear and plugins that do that.
Old 21st February 2019
I have both units and like them both. BUT if I was starting and only could get one, I go with the Neve MBP (It's my main buss compressor) But I just got the SSL Fusion and for Electronic music is dope. Although you can get a lot of what it does from this plugin: FOCUS ONE | SICK INDIVIDUALS
I attached a quick A/B demo of the Fusion (switching every 2 bars). This is still an unfinished track but I feel the fusion is getting me there faster. But take a listen for yourself and decide. I also attached a Pic with the settings I used.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Fusion vs Neve Portico II Master Buss / Alts-ssl-fusion.jpg  
Attached Files

SSL FUSION TEST.wav (5.19 MB, 3991 views)

Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

Bump! I would like to know this as well. I have the Fusion but interested in knowing how the MBP sounds against it! If anyone has samples A/B both please let me know. Cant find any videos via YouTube considering the MBP is fairly new.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Maniac

All I can say is I was in love with the Neve when I got it and it's still a joy to have that harmonic polish on my mixes. I'm mostly a classic rock guy and it helps take me emotionally from do op all the way to led zep.
Old 30th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
I have both units and like them both. BUT if I was starting and only could get one, I go with the Neve MBP (It's my main buss compressor) But I just got the SSL Fusion and for Electronic music is dope. Although you can get a lot of what it does from this plugin: FOCUS ONE | SICK INDIVIDUALS
I attached a quick A/B demo of the Fusion (switching every 2 bars). This is still an unfinished track but I feel the fusion is getting me there faster. But take a listen for yourself and decide. I also attached a Pic with the settings I used.
SPOILER ALERT: its sounds loud and nasty, if you have headphones on, turn them right down.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

Neve MBP all day. I just got mine last week. I have an SSL XDesk to process my stems before and I still use the x desk. Superanalogue is clean sounding but already adds weight to your tracks. If you are putting your stems through the x desk and have something as simple a an 8 track project you can hear the difference.

This is why I’m in love with my MBP over the fusion.
1. You get a stereo compressor that you can use to sum your stereo project.

2. You can unlink the stereo compressor and use two separate mono compressors. I’m an electronic music and HipHop guy. This helps me if I am designing what snare and what kick to use on a track. Even if you’re doing a rock or jazz song you will get a great outcome from splitting it for mono compression use.

3. This compressor can smash drums at extreme settings and it can do gentle compression for a jazz vocalist or classical music material.

4. The MBP gets your source material loud immediately so watch your input levels. This feature is also good for hearing how good some plugins sound in your mix.

5. The red and blue silk circuits are great for stem processing. I’m still learning what to do with this feature.

6. The SFE is how I can bring in the width of stuff that I have made too wide in my DAW.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

I was on the list for the SSL Fusion but bailed for the MBP especially when my Sweetwater guy (they can be helpful) let me know that had an open box model for $900 off and I haven't looked back since. I've been mastering some songs with this and a Dangerous Bax EQ and really loving the results. The silk, the touch of compression, the limiter is more helpful than I initially realized but the SFE is the surprise MVP. Deep and tight bass plus some airy width on top just sounds so damn good. If you're looking for analog color and polish then this is a stellar unit.
Old 3rd May 2019
The RND MBP II is great. It worked wonders on a sub fuzz 808 and hip hop kicks today. So easy to use but so wide ranging in sound. The Silver Bullet is another obvious choice as are the Overstayer Modular units. We're so spoilt these days for clever inventors.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Heard them both, both awesome units.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried SSL Fusion with a G Buss compressor connected to it via insert send and return ?
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Fusion, Neve MBP on Fusion insert, now that be something!
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

[QUOTE Fusion, Neve MBP on Fusion insert, now that be something!][/QUOTE]

Like about six and a half K and that is slutty for sure.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor For Music View Post
Has anyone tried SSL Fusion with a G Buss compressor connected to it via insert send and return ?
I have this setup, but with audioscape g series bus comp - Zulu tape, amazing sound!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search