The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let’s talk M49 clones
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Let’s talk M49 clones

When researching various M49-style mics (especially the cheaper options), there’s plenty of technical info to be found, but not a whole lot in the way of actual user reports, clips, and comparisons/shootouts.

I have an M149 that I love, but have been considering adding in another similar mic for mobile work. I’m aware of the following clones:

Advanced Audio CM49
Barbaric Amplification BA49
Peluso P-49
3U Audio GZ47fet V
Blackspade UM17R
Flea 49
Wunder CM49
Soundelux E49
Beesneez BM49 + Tribute 4

Obviously, the Flea, Wunder, and Soundelux are going to come closest to an actual M49, but I’m really curious to hear samples and user reports about the others, particularly the 3U and Blackspade.

Any and all info welcome, especially clips of loud pop/rock vocals!

Last edited by tkaitkai; 18th December 2018 at 01:05 AM..
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac

i shared this in another thread ....
i've been using Ben's M49 (Beesneez T4) for a while now and it's been wonderful.
fantastic midrange... not overly zingy on the top end... just plain super.
Here's a finished track where it was used on the lead vocal and the sax solo.
In the mix the vocal has a touch of pultec to lift the high end and it's compressed with an 1176 followed by an LA2A. All very standard moves to lock it in place.

YouTube

-pete
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
When researching various M49-style mics (especially the cheaper options), there’s plenty of technical info to be found, but not a whole lot in the way of actual user reports, clips, and comparisons/shootouts.

I have an M149 that I love, but have been considering adding in another similar mic for mobile work. I’m aware of the following clones:

Advanced Audio CM49
Barbaric Amplification BA49
Peluso P-49
3U Audio GS47fet V
Blackspade UM17R
Flea 49
Wunder CM49
Soundelux E49
Beesneez BM49 + Tribute 4

Obviously, the Flea, Wunder, and Soundeluxe are going to come closest to an actual M49, but I’m really curious to hear samples and user reports about the others, particularly the 3U and Blackspade.

Any and all info welcome, especially clips of loud pop/rock vocals!
I'd honestly go with the Flea..they are quality mics..
of course I didn't tried all the mics you mentioned.. although there are some brands that I'm not a big fan of.
The Flea (maybe with soundelux, now Bock and Wunder) is also the one that most likely might keep most of its value in the long run, at least this is my feeling (and looking at the classifieds of the last years).

Regarding the blackspade, I honestly have the impression that it's a much more modern mic than an m49, and to that regard, while I like the M149 you have, it's important to say that has NOTHING to do with an M49 (despite the last two numbers in ist name)..
IMHO the M149 is a nice modern microphone that doesn't have a strong midrange bump, and has a nice classy sound (with an incredible hot output).

I'd try to find a dealer that has some of these and let you do a shootout.. (so that you could send back what you don't like)..
in your room were ideal, but even at the shop is in the end better than reading my or other people blabber..

Cheu
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

I've been using the BM49. It's a fine mic for the price (I picked it up during their tax sale, so did not pay retail). I'm pretty sure I posted samples in the BM49 thread. The only thing I don't like about it, and I can say this about most LDC's in it's price range I've tried - on close vocal work (12" an under), the tone can get harsh when you lean into it.

Sounded great one day when I threw it up on acoustic bass.

I'll probably sell the BM49 when I get my Horch RM2J back from being modded. That mic is darn sexy.
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I've been using the BM49. It's a fine mic for the price (I picked it up during their tax sale, so did not pay retail). I'm pretty sure I posted samples in the BM49 thread. The only thing I don't like about it, and I can say this about most LDC's in it's price range I've tried - on close vocal work (12" an under), the tone can get harsh when you lean into it.

Sounded great one day when I threw it up on acoustic bass.

I'll probably sell the BM49 when I get my Horch RM2J back from being modded. That mic is darn sexy.
Hey Swafford -
you've got the BM49.. NOT the T4? (the T4 has the swivel mount).
when you say "harsh" when someone is on it close... can you be more specific?
i'm interested in the sonics differences between the T4 and the BM49.

thanks!

-pete
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Reach out to Andreas Stenzel.
He goes to great lengths to get his clones as accurate as possible.
Original Neumann KK47 capsules, Haufe output xformers, you name it.

Andreas Stenzel | Facebook
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords View Post
Hey Swafford -
you've got the BM49.. NOT the T4? (the T4 has the swivel mount).
when you say "harsh" when someone is on it close... can you be more specific?
i'm interested in the sonics differences between the T4 and the BM49.

thanks!

-pete
Mmm...how to explan. Yes it is the BM49 aka "clone series".

Let me revise what I said a little. It's not so much being close to the mic, but a large volume change that causes the mic eq to have a not particularly flattering bump in (my memory says) the 3000K area, for me that bump comes across as harsh.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Regarding the blackspade, I honestly have the impression that it's a much more modern mic than an m49, and to that regard, while I like the M149 you have, it's important to say that has NOTHING to do with an M49 (despite the last two numbers in ist name)..
IMHO the M149 is a nice modern microphone that doesn't have a strong midrange bump, and has a nice classy sound (with an incredible hot output).
That’s interesting to hear regarding the Blackspade — were you actually able to compare it to an M49?

I’m not sure I’d say the M149 has nothing to do with an M49, as they do share the same capsule and have a similar headgrille. Obviously, the M149 has a different tube, different circuit, and no transformer, but sonically, it does bear some semblance to an M49, IMO.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

i have a flea49 and cannot say enough good things about it. a fantastic mic that sees a lot of use. sounds beautiful.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
That’s interesting to hear regarding the Blackspade — were you actually able to compare it to an M49?

I’m not sure I’d say the M149 has nothing to do with an M49, as they do share the same capsule and have a similar headgrille. Obviously, the M149 has a different tube, different circuit, and no transformer, but sonically, it does bear some semblance to an M49, IMO.
My opinion differs on the M149.. I do not find it resembling (sonically wise, nor from a construction point of view, beside maybe the headgrill) to an original M49. That doesn't make the M149 a bad mic.. I do think it works great on a lot of sources and doesn't have that mid/high push typical of some others Neumann mics.

I never compared the two side by side unfortunately, I've had the chance to work with both, although very shortly with the BS.. That's why I wrote that was my impression.. I thought it had more "detail" than the original M49, more definition.. But that doesn't mean it's a bad mic, at all.

Dunno if this helps,

Cheu
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

FLEA 49 is the true successor to the throne. Buy it today.

It sits up and says, "I am a microphone!"
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post

Looks good.. how much?
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Looks good.. how much?
It's in the €3k range, depending on the exact configuration.
Got mine 2 years ago - super happy with it.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

i love the m149, but it is really nothing like the m49.
Old 18th December 2018
500 series nutjob

my next clone will be a FLEA clone!
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i've been using Ben's M49 (Beesneez T4) for a while now and it's been wonderful.
In the mix the vocal has a touch of pultec to lift the high end and it's compressed with an 1176 followed by an LA2A. All very standard moves to lock it in place.

YouTube

-pete
Just got to listen — this sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 25th December 2018
I've been chasing my M49 style mic for a long time. My first experience with a 49 style mic was a Korby Kat with a custom 49 head. I found it a touch dark on my voice through the mid range, but the best mic for my upper range that I had ever heard. So I started looking at 49 options.

My first 49 style mic was the Advanced Audio CM49. For just under $1000 it is a wonderful microphone for the money, but doesn't quite hold up next to the real deal. When I brought it with me to Barbershop Studios as a reference mic during a shoot out, I found it sonically somewhere between their M49C and their M269. It wasn't quite an M49, but it was still out there with the big boys and held it's own. It's more open on the top end and lacks the super lows of the original M49. Here are a couple of clips of me singing into my AA CM49:

Great American Songbook:

Classical Crossover/Neapolitan Song:

When I started asking around about the best clone of the M49 on the market all of my classical engineer friends and acquaintances steered me toward the FleA 49. I had heard some good things about some of the other's; Beesneez, Blackspade, etc, but I was told that the FleA 49 often lived with real M49s and people felt they were often as close as and two M49s could be. So I went out of my way to try them.

I went to the Barbershop studios in NJ and checked out a bunch of mics including their M49C, M269, U47FET, U67, and more. I was able to demo Vintage King's demo FleA 49. The big difference is their demo has a F49 capsule and not the F7 capsule that usually comes standard. I was also able to drive out to Callistro Music, my usual dealer who is about an hour and a half away from me. He had a FleA 249 (only difference is the cheaper cable connector) with the stock features; F7 and stock tube. He also has a FleA 49 with the F7 and the optional AC701K. I found the AC701k adds the missing component. However, I also found that I preferred the F49 capsule to the F7. Just like in the Korby 49 I found the F7 capsules made my middle voice very thick. The F49 wasn't quite as big in that area and suited my voice better. I also found the top end was very similar the M49C I had tried at Barbershop studios. I ended up picking up the FleA 49 with the F49 and stock tube. I just didn't want to fall into the vintage tube trap..... That said I sometimes debate sending it back to FleA to retrofit it for the AC701k.

I also have a BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II. Last year they released some new Caps; B11 based on the U67, which sounds great and the B10 which was based on the M49. In my opinion the B10 was too open and more like my CM49 than my FleA 49. I actually ended up returning it. The B11 was great as a U67 style cap, but that's another story.

I've attached clips of my FleA 49 vs BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II with the B10 Cap, as well as clips of the VK Demo FleA 49 vs my CM49. Sorry there is some processing on that last one. Still it should give you an idea of the quality.
Attached Files

BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II w B10.mp3 (4.78 MB, 2385 views)

FLEA 49.mp3 (4.78 MB, 2429 views)

01 Vin CM49.mp3 (3.61 MB, 2351 views)

01 Vin FLEA 49.mp3 (3.80 MB, 2397 views)

Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear

the blackspade sounds more m49ish when you use a tube pre.. like a tube tech mp1a .. you can dial in the m49 sound. I would like to try the Peluso P49 and the Flea 49... anyone try this guy's m49? Magnetone? M49 Magnetone Microphone w/ inductor controlled Reference PSU with Haufe BV11 | eBay
Old 25th December 2018
I imagine the Peluso is a bit like the Advanced Audio, but maybe a little warmer. My 2247SE was pretty open next to the FleA 47 or Wagner 47 I was able to try it next to. That seeems to be the MO of the under 3k clones/tribute mics. Here are my favorite clips of the Peluso:

Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

I have the Beesneez T4 and 2 x BM49.

They are all wonderful microphones.

Here's the T4 on voc. - YouTube

Here's the BM49 on trumpets, bass and piano. - Cut N Run 2018 Listen 2709 by Stefan Nowak | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Stef.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Addict

I'd get a second M149. Then you'll have a very nice stereo pair that will come in handy for piano, drum OH, vocal group, whatever... None of the others will really create a stereo pair. Now is your chance! You will regret not doing it while you can.

Steve
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

YouTube

-pete
Damn, that dude's voice is amazing! Funky
Old 26th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
I have the Beesneez T4 and 2 x BM49.

They are all wonderful microphones.

Here's the T4 on voc. - YouTube

Here's the BM49 on trumpets, bass and piano. - Cut N Run 2018 Listen 2709 by Stefan Nowak | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Stef.
Really nice sounding recordings. Once you get to this level of replica it becomes more about what you think is the ideal 49 sound and which company gets closest to what you are looking for, be it Bees Neez, FleA, Bock, etc.

I’ve been really itching to pick up a a second FleA 49. I’ve tried it on numerous vocals and on my voice in numerous styles. It just works most of the time on the music I make.
Old 14th February 2019
Another FleA 49 clip.

Here is another clip of the FleA 49. It has really become my go to microphone in my studio for both my wife and I. I really like how this song turned out.

Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post

May I ask if you, or anyone you're aware of, been able to do any type of direct comparison with a well maintained 49. Andreas's 49 work does look good.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
my next clone will be a FLEA clone!

LOL, right. My first flea clone was 2D and B&W. Sounded flat.

Clones duhhhh. Determine the specific signature you're after and buy a mic that has that. Demo them then buy. The majority of the people here giving advise have never heard a genuine 49.

Alternatively, get a preamp that has that quality... Now you just doubled your existing mic locker... Make sure the preamp is a clone.....
Old 18th February 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
LOL, right. My first flea clone was 2D and B&W. Sounded flat.

Clones duhhhh. Determine the specific signature you're after and buy a mic that has that. Demo them then buy. The majority of the people here giving advise have never heard a genuine 49.

Alternatively, get a preamp that has that quality... Now you just doubled your existing mic locker... Make sure the preamp is a clone.....
i would not argue that although i have had my cruby hands on "the real deal", from my perspective i would rather a newer newish mic, i and not a loyal fan of Neumann as of late, that could change the new 67 has peaked my interest.

i have some Neumanns and nice clones so i am in no hurry for anything but the FLE is on my want list.

also i would say the same for those asking, alsway try it first.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i would not argue that although i have had my cruby hands on "the real deal", from my perspective i would rather a newer newish mic, i and not a loyal fan of Neumann as of late, that could change the new 67 has peaked my interest.

i have some Neumanns and nice clones so i am in no hurry for anything but the FLE is on my want list.

also i would say the same for those asking, alsway try it first.
I was actually just messing around a little bit there about the Clone. Two dimensional, black and white and flat meant to be a photocopy joke. I actually have a 47 inspired microphone, but I bought it by accident. I didn't think I was going to win the auction so I just threw a bid on it. It's a Lee Wilson 247. I did replace the tube in it because the original tube was a little too grainy for my liking. I have to look and see what I threw in it, but it was a Holy Grail NOS tube that was ridiculously expensive.. I like that microphone even though I nearly threw up when I saw I won the auction.
Old 18th February 2019
While I didn’t have my grubby hands on one I did spend some time singing through one at The Barbershop Studios in NJ. They had an M49 and an M49C. That mic just sounded like gold on me. I spent a few hours singing through their M49C, their favorite U67, M269, among a FET others. We even had my MK67 and Advanced Audio CM49 up. My voice is huge so proximity isn’t much of an issue standing about 2 ft back in a good room. The MK67 turned out to be darker than their U67, which is something I had expected going into the session. The CM49 wasn’t bad, but sat sonically somewhere between the M49C and the M269.

I had previously tried the FleA 49 wth their F49 (K49) capsule in my studio next to my CM49 and BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II with the B7 (U47 style) cap. I was shocked just how good it sounded. A number of people I trust had advised me to go with FleA’s F7 (M7) capsule, but I couldn’t do it without trying it first. Luckily one of the dealers I buy from a lot had a FleA 249 with the stock configuration (F7 and stock tube) and a FleA 49 with the F7 and AC701k. I spent a day and headed out there. Got to hear both. I immediately knew I preferred the F49 over the F7 on my voice. The M49C I had tried had neumann’s K49. I debated for a while about the AC701k since it adds a low extension the other tube seemed to lack a little bit. I just didn’t want to deal with the rare vintage tube game, so I opted for their stock tube and optional F49 capsule. This is why it’s important to demo mics. There are only a few high quality M49 clones. Each has its own sound. Which sounds like your ideal M49 is totally your decision based on your aesthetic.
Old 3 weeks ago
BA-49 Custom

Just received my Barbaric Amplification BA-49. So far, on initial listen...the BA-49 is everything I’ve dreamed about. I can’t imagine getting any closer to the M49 sound for this amount of money. Big to Chris for making my dream a reality! I am super excited to get it in the fray. Chris does all point to point with turret board assembly. The mic is perfectly quiet, amazing depth and tone, zero harshness and super warm & cozy on my ears. Zero sibilant distortion here. Very impressed!!

Parts used:
CU-49 Body kit and Shock-mount
Accusound AT-7 cable w/ Binder ends
Thiersch STW7 with STS7a holder
Selected 5840W tube
AMI-TAB BV8R [6.5:1 ratio]
collective case PSU case
Attached Thumbnails
Let’s talk M49 clones-ba49.jpg   Let’s talk M49 clones-ba49-guts-1.jpg   Let’s talk M49 clones-ba49-guts-2.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search