The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LTL Silver Bullet pres vs standalone
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
You know you’re right, that actually would get me most of the way there. I’d sort of discarded the thought of the Mr. Focus as I’m not a big fan of the tilt EQ and on its own it’s not all that appealing to me, but in combination with the Chroma it would get me two fully functional Colour slots and one simple on/off one. Good call!
Have you tried the Focus EQ in Chop Shop or Mister Focus yet? If not, I wouldn't discount it just yet. If you want to see how my design actually fares in real-world use you can do a virtual demo by downloading the demo of the Chop Shop plugin from Plugin Alliance. Let me know what you think. But like you said, you could always just ignore that feature on Mister Focus. Although I will say being able to adjust the tonal balance going into the wet path of a Colour module can be quite fun and effective.

cheers,
Brad
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah you mentioned the Palette and HRK platforms, and the Mr. Focus RGB is definitely a noteworthy color module platform. It's notables being the constant-gain feature, and tilt eq. It's affordable enough to just look at the tilt eq as free in your case, but honestly though the tilt eq is kind of clutch! A click or two forgives a lot of sins. I have the Mr. Focus Comp and I like the tilt EQ, especially pre-effect. If you already have color modules, or want to use different ones than offered in the other Mr. Focus variants, then the Mr. Focus RGB is there.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Guru

"Focus" is quickly becoming one of my most used EQ's. Simple, but extremely effective.
Old 18th January 2019
Yeah!

Love Focus. When I got Mr. Focus I immediately thought ‘this thing is worth the Focus knob alone. Also as a Colour fan, some Colours can bend tone too far one way or another depending, and the ability to rebalance that with one knob(plus mix!) really cracks it open. It’s genius.

Also, this
Attached Thumbnails
LTL Silver Bullet pres vs standalone-c9d11cd4-e12f-43c7-9ede-ad93b830ec57.jpg  
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post

Also, this
Watch out!! The battery's almost dead on your phone....
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I've been curious about the LTL pre's in comparison to other pre's also, so I finally scooped up a Chroma to try out. It's going to be a while before I have any time to try them out, but I have CAPI VP28's, Great River, Avedis MA5's, Stam 1073's, SCA N72's and some miscellaneous utility pre's to compare them against. Should be fun, I don't plan on doing a scientific test or anything but I'll post my thoughts whenever I can.
It's been a few months bowzin! Any thoughts yet? Favorite applications? Color slot filled with ??? Prefering A over N or vice versa?? Are you using the vintage filter while tracking?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's been a few months bowzin! Any thoughts yet? Favorite applications? Color slot filled with ??? Prefering A over N or vice versa?? Are you using the vintage filter while tracking?
Love it. Bought a second, haha. Very impressed.

I'll type up some more when I have more time, but basically it replaced the Great River as probably my favorite "go to" pre, especially on my "Max Mod" U67. It is like a cheat code with that mic/pre combo. Same familar comfortable N tone beef as my Neve clones and Great River, but even more detailed, and just clear as a bell. Natural and balanced all through the mids.

The A side was surprisingly excellent and useful, they're honestly neck and neck to me, which I wouldn't have expected. The A side is not as over-the-top as the VP28's, which are more source-dependent. Chroma A channel works on everything, even when it "shouldn't." Brings out a pleasing slight musical midrange punch, and things never get overcooked.

The term I've coined is Lossless Color. Thats the only way I can describe it, because I guess I was expecting (fearing?) like over the top color, but nah its like lossless color. This is exciting, dont have another pre that does that, and makes it useable on anything, including buses and stems.

Was expecting good and got great. Now I know for sure I'd really appreciate the functionality the Silver Bullet brings, because I def want to use these Chromas back and forth on tracking, overdubs, and on buses/2-bus.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Precisely! I often track guitar cabs with an SM57 on one channel and an R121 on the second channel. I split the gain down the middle. As long as you have reasonable headroom and SNR you can always trim or gain up in the DAW a few/handful of dB without much of an issue. Another thing that can work in your favor is if you want to track a quiet and loud source and know that the quiet source will be blended much lower in the mix anyway. Then it doesn't matter that you might not be getting as much gain "to tape".

As Bill mentioned, Chroma is the answer to the dual mono conundrum. It also happens to have slightly more gain on tap so that you can get a full 60 dB of gain out of a single Mojo Amp, as well as a polarity switch that doesn't affect two channels at once. Higher gain scenarios on the Silver Bullet sometimes require one to cascade using the A>N or N>A settings. It's not the end of the world though since it sounds so darn good. If you need even more than 60 dB of gain (for dynamics or ribbons) Chroma can be configured to use the Colour C-DRV knob as an extra 24 dB of clean gain.

Brad
Would you say the Silver Bullet can drive an Sm7b to good tone?
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiin View Post
100% yes. Plenty of gain on tap. I haven't had any issues, even with the most gain-hungry of mics.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not yet plugged my SM7 into one of my Chromas, but they have a boatload of gain. I'm confident they'll handle your SM7 without breaking a sweat.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Love it. Bought a second, haha. Very impressed.

I'll type up some more when I have more time, but basically it replaced the Great River as probably my favorite "go to" pre, especially on my "Max Mod" U67. It is like a cheat code with that mic/pre combo. Same familar comfortable N tone beef as my Neve clones and Great River, but even more detailed, and just clear as a bell. Natural and balanced all through the mids.

The A side was surprisingly excellent and useful, they're honestly neck and neck to me, which I wouldn't have expected. The A side is not as over-the-top as the VP28's, which are more source-dependent. Chroma A channel works on everything, even when it "shouldn't." Brings out a pleasing slight musical midrange punch, and things never get overcooked.

The term I've coined is Lossless Color. Thats the only way I can describe it, because I guess I was expecting (fearing?) like over the top color, but nah its like lossless color. This is exciting, dont have another pre that does that, and makes it useable on anything, including buses and stems.

Was expecting good and got great. Now I know for sure I'd really appreciate the functionality the Silver Bullet brings, because I def want to use these Chromas back and forth on tracking, overdubs, and on buses/2-bus.
Awesome bowzin! Thanks for a great description!!
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
We did exactly that!!!! They're called LTL Chroma's. For mixing and stereo bus duties, I personally prefer the Silver Bullet, but for tracking / mic pre use - or for mono only use, the Chroma's are 98% of the exact DNA of the Silver Bullet and are a bargain price wise (they are $599 right now...). They are a tad different due to the architecture differences (500 series vs. Rack Mount), but they are essentially the same design and components.

Certainly worth auditioning if you only need a mono - or true dual mono/stereo - mic pre's.

The Silver Bullet architecture is true stereo (i.e. ganged L/R controls) so true independent mono operation is not an option. Personally, I love having a true stereo mic pre where I don't have to worry about "matching" sides - but I also employ 4+ Chroma's for those mono sources or when I need independent (like 48v on one channel and a ribbon on the other) control. cheers, bp
Is this only ture for dual mono, or can i track a vocal with the SB or a mono synth? Or would a Chroma be better for that?
Is there a convenient way of having the SB sitting between my Apollo x8 Outs and the monitors for having it on the mix bus/monitor way for saving additional i/o or how the best set up in a multi purpose way of tracking and mixing?

Thank you! Looking forward!
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is this only ture for dual mono, or can i track a vocal with the SB or a mono synth?
You CAN track a vocal or mono synth with the SB.

Quote:
Or would a Chroma be better for that?
That's a personal preference / judgement call. Which is better - an apple or an orange?

Quote:
Is there a convenient way of having the SB sitting between my Apollo x8 Outs and the monitors for having it on the mix bus/monitor way for saving additional i/o or how the best set up in a multi purpose way of tracking and mixing?

Thank you! Looking forward!
Yes. Check out the manual on the LTL webpage for application notes on how to use the Silver Bullet in production applications.

Good luck!
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
You CAN track a vocal or mono synth with the SB.

That's a personal preference / judgement call. Which is better - an apple or an orange?

Yes. Check out the manual on the LTL webpage for application notes on how to use the Silver Bullet in production applications.

Good luck!
Thank you! That was a good read. Lots of useful information. Very much appreciated!
Now, where to purchase this thing? I am in Vienna/Austria middle Europe.
Only possible way via your online shop on the website? If there is no other way how long would delivery take? Thank you!
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you! That was a good read. Lots of useful information. Very much appreciated!
Now, where to purchase this thing? I am in Vienna/Austria middle Europe.
Only possible way via your online shop on the website? If there is no other way how long would delivery take? Thank you!
Hi Aquiin - yes, the LTL website is where you would go to purchase. If they are in stock (I didn't check, but they probably are), it takes a couple days for processing on this end, and then generally less than a week to ship over. Customs is a little different in every EU country, but it's generally pretty fast.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search