The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing a LDC Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Choosing a LDC

Hello!
I've been recording and producing in my home studio (which is treated pretty well, minus a nice diffuser) for a a couple of years now and I'm expanding my mic locker.
The kind of music I'm creating myself I think can be described as alternative, but I'm also a jazz musician and a saxophone player so it has a lot of that in it too, but I'm also producing and recording for other people and that is less genre defined because the spectrum is a lot broader.
Right now, the mics in my possession are an sm57, an RE20, and a pair of Superlux S241s (which are very surprising!!), And I'm looking to finally get a large diaphragm condenser. What is most important for me is that it will flatter my vocal sound which is low and deep, but also let's say flatter female vocals and saxophone playing, all the rest could be great but is extra.
My budget saddly is about 1000$
What I thought about was:
This WA-47 (naturally)
Slate VMS
Telefunken AK47 mk1 (which a friend of mine is selling for 1000$)
I'd be happy to hear opinions and different ideas and also what you think of those options I presented.
Thank you!!
Old 4 weeks ago
There are lots of pretty good vocal mics around the $1k price point, but they tend not to be "fits everyone" mics. If the mic is intended primarily for your own use, then the only sensible approach is to demo the candidates on your voice (and horn) before you make a choice. Lots of people know what a RE20 sounds like, so if you are willing to post a clip of yourself singing though it, folks here could give you some general suggestions based on that. But even if that advice is "a U47 clone will work great on you", there are lots of different interpretations of that mic among the clone builders. You'll still need to try any given candidate on your own voice.

My best suggestion is to call all your recording friends, borrow everything you can get your hands on and choose a representative song to record on all of them. When you find a mic that works well for you, buy it and don't look back. If nothing floats your boat, then you'll need to look farther afield. If you have good credit and an ongoing business relationship, some dealers will send you mics on demo. You'll have a better idea what to request having already done your "homework". But my key piece of advice for a personal vocal mic is "Don't buy it if you can't try it first."
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Something like either...
Sennheiser 441 plus nice LDC (3U, ISK, or Oktava).
Or Beyer M88TG plus Advanced Audio CM48T.
That would cover a lot of ground.

BTW way under the GS radar, is the MXL V87.
It does have a strong U87ai-ish tone.
I'm giving a good friend mine, so he can record
pro level VO/narration.
(unfortunately unless run through a premium pre
the U87ai type sound isn't the best choice on me)

FWIW I have a marked preference towards "vintage toned" microphones, over the modern bright/clear ones.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You can get a second hand tlm 107 for close to that and it’s a terrific microphone and well suited to your needs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Some other LDC mics to consider for less than $1,000:

- Audio-Technica AT4047/SV

- Shure KSM44A/SL

- Stam SA-47F

- Stam SA-87

- Warm Audio WA-47jr

- Warm Audio WA-87
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

those tele ak47's are really pretty nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

you can get used AKG 414s for under $1000
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got a almost mint condition Lauten Atlantis for sale in the Classifieds for under $1K.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If I had a grand in my hand right now I'd buy an AA CM67se. That said, I own a bunch of mics, and I spent a couple months reviewing that mic and really liked it. If I was just building a mic cabinet, I think either a pair of something like AT 4050s, sE 4400 or T2 or similar "utility" mics would be a great idea.

Whoever said the AA 48 and Beyer M88 also has a good idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Do you think the AA 48 is better sounding than the WA 47? And what exactly is the Beyer M88 good for? How will it serve me?
Also, another friend of mine is selling the Flea U47 with EF12 tube for 2000, I'm considering biting the bullet because I've heard a lot of great things about them and amazing sources recorded with them. What do you think?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could look at a Pearlman TM2.
Well within your price range and it’s an amazing bargain for a hand built tube mic made in USA
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorcha View Post
Do you think the AA 48 is better sounding than the WA 47? And what exactly is the Beyer M88 good for? How will it serve me?
Also, another friend of mine is selling the Flea U47 with EF12 tube for 2000, I'm considering biting the bullet because I've heard a lot of great things about them and amazing sources recorded with them. What do you think?
I personally trust the QC of AA over Warm based on some things I've heard and read. I've used a couple of AA mic (not the 48 though) and they are quite nice.

The M88 is seriously good for a ton of things. Toms, guitars, vocals, Leslie, SD, BD, bass, horns. Its my favorite mic. I've got 3 and will have more as time goes one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If that Flea 47 is in very good (or better) condition, grab it!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorcha View Post
I'd grab that Flea if I were you.. and since it's a friend of yours you have the HUGE advantage that you could test it in your space and see if it fits YOUR taste (and vocals).. so it's not a shot in the dark..and has a Quality that is not comparable with the other mics you mentioned..

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search