The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone rented a countryside house/building to record a one-off session in? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th December 2018
  #31
Gear Addict
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 

Heart Full of Honey, Handful of Smoke | Pet Parade


The Big Bend | Pet Parade


Unleash the Furry | Pet Parade


Kevin Moquin and the Bad Ideas | Kevin Moquin and the Bad Ideas | CD Baby Music Store


all of these records were done in cabins/living rooms/non traditional studio spaces. some of the most fun i have making records. in the states it is pretty affordable to find/secure offseason vacation housing. most of the houses were picked for their high vaulted ceilings and wood construction. were they perfect, no. did they sound cool and was i able to track something compelling, yes.

Last edited by Blaine Misner; 16th December 2018 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 16th December 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
White Falcon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Me and my friends Green recorded an album in a massive plumbing warehouse. Everyone was happy with the results. I have to say I really enjoyed the process. I think the drum sound is unique.

Drum and guitar were done in the warehouse, we did bass, vocal, and saxophone overdubs back at my "studio."

the weight of the chord | green
Cool sound, I like it

It sounds a bit like Surfer Rosa (by The Pixies) on Crystal meth.
Old 16th December 2018
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner View Post
Heart Full of Honey, Handful of Smoke | Pet Parade


The Big Bend | Pet Parade


Unleash the Furry | Pet Parade


Kevin Moquin and the Bad Ideas | Kevin Moquin and the Bad Ideas | CD Baby Music Store


all of these records were done in cabins/living rooms/non traditional studio spaces. some of the most fun i have making records. in the states it is pretty affordable to find/secure offseason vacation housing. most of the houses were picked for their high vaulted ceilings and wood construction. were they perfect, no. did they sound cool and was i able to track something compelling, yes.
Yeah, man. All that Pet Parade stuff is dope. It's a little harder to tell about the Kevin Moquin record what with the 30 second clips, but what I could hear sounded good.
Old 16th December 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Cool sound, I like it

It sounds a bit like Surfer Rosa (by The Pixies) on Crystal meth.
I always love that kind of feedback haha, thanks for having a listen!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post
LOL like the Shining hotel.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
You've got to check it every day... it creeps!

;-)

(A hundred mph hail storm in 2017 took out two roofs, two walls, two windows, and five vehicles. Cleaning glass and ice out of the control room wasn't fun. Mowing two acres of grass, five starting in April, ehhh. Trips BACK to town when you forget something...well, it's a headspace thing. Swap the CD out, or listen again.

Besides that, it's pretty much all play.

:-)

)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #36
Here for the gear
 

Dude, save your money and buy a Neve preamp or something.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #37
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner View Post
most of the houses were picked for their high vaulted ceilings and wood construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate
The producer and I checked the place out beforehand and made a plan in which rooms to use for what. The place had 25ft cielings in the living room,
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan
As mentioned, ceiling height will be very important.
no no
you guys are going about it all wrong

you are actually selecting the locations?

Don't you know you are supposed to pick a space at random so that you "don't know what you are getting into"? This will give you a 'challenge' forcing you to adapt to the situation. How can you fully embrace the limitations of the space if you go around deliberately choosing spaces with fewer limitations?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Addict
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
no no
you guys are going about it all wrong

you are actually selecting the locations?

Don't you know you are supposed to pick a space at random so that you "don't know what you are getting into"? This will give you a 'challenge' forcing you to adapt to the situation. How can you fully embrace the limitations of the space if you go around deliberately choosing spaces with fewer limitations?

hell, even scouting the locations gave us a "challenge." we just didn't want to go in with our pants down.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Gear Addict
 
Blaine Misner's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag J View Post
Yeah, man. All that Pet Parade stuff is dope. It's a little harder to tell about the Kevin Moquin record what with the 30 second clips, but what I could hear sounded good.
i wish the bad ideas record was more available. that dude is a fantastic player.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ericlouis / Label and Industry Offers
0
newpollution / So much gear, so little time
5
MikeyMike / So much gear, so little time
11
TehGuitarist / Studio building / acoustics
12
TriTone Digital / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump