The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Gear sellers and flood of Ebay lowballing request Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Best offers are kind of pointless, if you're pricing things to move.

If you're taking offers it means you haven't listed at your genuinely lowest acceptable price, which you should have.

Slightly undercut the rest of the market and you'll sell.
I always make sure I tick the box which requires immediate payment with buy-it-now too so I don't have to deal with any dreamers.

I only sell now though when the £1 seller fee promos are active. 10% plus Paypal fees is too much commission to stomach, especially when you have to pay it on the postage too, and even more so when they're calculating the 10% before the Paypal fees, so you're paying commission on money you were never going to get.

Greedy gits.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Sort of the opposite of those who post a $500 item for two grand. The water always finds it's level somewhere between the nutcases. Neither tactic creates results.
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Head

If person making offer has a lot of items for sale, I usually assume they are making lots of offers like this and planning to resell the items. Easy to ignore.
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper0 View Post
If person making offer has a lot of items for sale...
Seems to me that most of the smart flippers buy on eBay and CL and sell on Reverb. So you'd never know.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Other times the buyer gets screwed when someone covets an item..i just bought the cariodiod ring for a salt shaker ..it was listed for 79..with 3 bottom caps for saltshakers which god knows who needs..i could only get the guy down to 65... it's just a chiped paint rusty inside metal ring..but i wanted it to complete the microphone..i got the mic itself NOS for only 180
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear
Lowballing is a technique. Weather or not it insults the owner of said object for sale or service a lowballer does not care. It is their way to attempt to get something of value or service at a reduced rate. A lowballer may then bring the 2nd attempt to a higher value hoping the seller feels obligated to comply somehow with the end result being they got the object/service at a reduced rate.They then feel like they have won. Negotiation at best is a win/win for both parties.The way I look at it is if I give you my best price and TELL you that is my best price I won't move from that! my 2cents
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
I love this place. A buncha rich guys padding around expensive studios doing a job that qualifies as a game, bitching and moaning about their pennies and how they are getting "screwed". Hilarious!!! Carry on. Fantastic entertainment!!!
I'm guessing that most haunting GS would not qualify as "rich guys." More like a lot of hard-working Joes (and Janes) trying to eek out a borderline living in of a very difficult art-based business environment. Probably a few rich ones in there. Just guessing.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Hard working, of course. We are bitching about pennies though. Anyone who can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a rack of esoteric electronics, is haggling maybe out of need, but mostly from pride and trying to "win". Making a living in music has never been easy, but the path is a "chosen" one. I wouldnt consider it a "borderline" existence, you can make a solid middle class living, and some DO get rich...
Fair enough. A poll of average annual income (from music activities alone) would be interesting, although maybe a bit too intrusive.
Old 12th December 2018
500 series nutjob

just becuase you thin something is worth X amount does in no way mean it truley is.
i see nothing wrong with haggling and making offers. as the seller if you do not like the offer kindly do not except, seem easy.
i have seen guys ask prices that IMHO here nuts high and try for years to sale for no avail. and sometimes they get lucky.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search