The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inspiration for unusual/organic drums or beats Electronic Drums
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Inspiration for unusual/organic drums or beats

Hi.

I'm interested in hearing about any workflows and software you may use to create interesting drum tracks, in the box. I'm particularly compelled with beats or drum/percussion tracks that sound natural, organic and human.

So far, I've been using good quality Kontakt Instruments (like Organic Percussion from That Sound) inside Logic to some success. I've also downloaded some really well recorded jazz and african drumming one-shots and loops and found I was able to cut them up in interesting ways.

I realize that recording a live performance would probably be the best option to have the most human, imperfect feel, but the toss up is that my ability to record drums or even basic percussion is not great yet and sonically they don't sound close to as good as many of the one-shots, loops and even some software instruments I can download online. So there's always that decision of prioritizing great sound or great human performance.

I'm wondering if anyone does stuff like this and if so, what kinds of software, workflow, techniques people use?

As for musical inspiration,

Four Tet ("probably" sampling pieces of other songs to create the beat)
YouTube

Don Cherry (all live performance, of course)
YouTube

Dawn of Midi (all live performance)
YouTube

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I don't understand a thing, can you play a drum loop if someone gives you a ready sound?
If yes, are you interested in plugging a Roland TD11kv >> midi out >> superior drummer?
It's not a pricey setup. And you can modify the loop after the recording because it's a midi, not a wave.

Or you can use superior drummer alone and you program the drums via midi with the mouse
(it will cost way less than having also the roland, but you can use only your mouse)

Superior drummer is after a couple of minutes (in the first part he uses the standard sounds)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search