The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Western Electric Carbon Microphones Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Western Electric Carbon Microphones

I am attempting to make a series lo-fi recordings (just for personal amusement), and have started looking into the carbon based microphones by Western Electric. I've have come across a few models including the Western Electric 1B, 1D, 600A, 618A, 633A, and 635. Some models are much more expensive than others, and I could only find a few sound clips of them. I am aware that carbon microphones aren't that popular. If anyone has information on differences in sound and construction between models as well as any additional models I may want to look into, that would be great.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Just found out that the 633a is a dynamic mic, and that the 1B, and 1D, are just the enclosures for the 600a. Not sure if this is accurate though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Placid Audio makes a modern carbon mic that I've been eyeing for a few years.

I think it'd be a challenge to get an antique one working today, but I could be wrong. Carbon mics need a special power supply. The carbon granules also need to be set up properly.

As for the 633 (dynamic), I have one and it isn't a very lo fi microphone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
My bad, I should clarify, that I am not interested in their dynamic microphones. Also I have no issue with getting a vintage microphone, I really like the sounds I heard from the 635 model. Just want to know about other models, or if anyone has sound clips of other models.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Besides the Copperphone and Carbonphone have you considered Speakerphone by Audio Ease?

Audio Ease - Speakerphone - real speakers in their natural environment
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Are their carbon mics based of the WE mics, or are they just modern carbon based microphones.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

633 as an overhead [it's omni..unless you put on the adapter ring] or on snare was the go to for much of the 60's drum recordings..plus it's great on harmonica
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Here is a rare example of an Instructables.com posting that is actually useful:
Balanced Microphone From an Old Telephone | Instructables.com
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
That looks great, but I thought that carbon mics would require an external power supply though. Is this not the case?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
That looks great, but I thought that carbon mics would require an external power supply though. Is this not the case?
That's what he's using the 9-Volt battery for.

(And I agree with the poster at the bottom of the linked page, saying that 3 Volts is really about optimum.)

...Of course, you could just as easily modify the design to run from phantom power (but it would cost more to build).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

uggg i just pulled the trigger and spent 65 bucks for the "cardiod" ring [they only come up every few years] gonna paint it purple metal flake..it will look good with the drab flat green of the mic..and 3 bottom of the 633 cover plates which i'll prob make into door knob plates lolz
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

More info on Placid Audio's line of 'Low-Fi' mics:

Products | Placid Audio Custom Microphones
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search