The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decapitator and echoboy worth it? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Decapitator and echoboy worth it?

I was wondering:

Decapitator, lots of people seem to love it. I have Waves Scheps omni channel and the Scheps 73, which both have saturation. What will Decapitator bring me?

Echoboy. I have El capistan and Memory Man guitarpedals which I use as 'outboard'. What will Echo boy bring me extra?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Yes. Decapitator is fantastic. It's everything from a little saturation (in a few flavors), to absolute destruction, and it's sounds interesting throughout. Echoboy I use less as I often end up sending signal out and through a Timeline, but it's also useful and vibey.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

it's a more in-your-face saturation that sounds more analog, generally, the soundtoys plugins sounds more like outboard than the waves plugins, they're better for forming the actual sound whereas waves is better for tasteful adjustments. If you like the memory man and el capistan the echo boy will give you a broader palette and vast control of sounds into that direction, it also has a sort of distorted crunch to it if you push it that really brings attitude to whatever you put it on. I own a h9 and a timeline and still think everyone should own the echoboy, for mixing it's a no-brainer.
Old 4 days ago
They are now classic plug-ins. They are totally worth it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I just got Echoboy and I frigging love it. I'm working on something now where I needed some unusual delay effects like speed warping, infinite repeats, and so forth, and Echoboy is great for that stuff. I've done some of that in the past sending my signal out to a Carbon Copy pedal and working the knobs real time, but it's so much more convenient to automate the time parameter and tweak until you have what you want. You have so much control over the delay's tone, both initially and as it changes with each repeat, that you can make it sound like pretty much anything you want. And it saturates really nicely.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Decapitator, Echoboy (also jr.), Deviloc, Littleplate, LitteAlterboy, Phaser, Crystalizer... I mean the whole bundle is really worth it. Don't bother picking just a few plugins.

Echoboy is really good for mixing, use your pedals for special things and echoboy as complementary (fill-in) delay. It can do characterful/weird echoes too, but at least to me its strenght is in versatility.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Decapitator, Echoboy (also jr.), Deviloc, Littleplate, LitteAlterboy, Phaser, Crystalizer... I mean the whole bundle is really worth it. Don't bother picking just a few plugins.

Echoboy is really good for mixing, use your pedals for special things and echoboy as complementary (fill-in) delay. It can do characterful/weird echoes too, but at least to me its strenght is in versatility.
I typically insert the rack. I just find it more convenient to consider all of SoundToys processors as a whole.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

100%

Also check out Goodhertz. Fantastic plugins.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Yes, 100% on decapitator.

No on Echoboy. I rarely use it anymore now that Echofarm is back. Sometimes I'll use it for ping ponging delays, but probably never again for stuff I need to fit seamlessly into the mix.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I guess for what it's worth, I grabbed Echoboy during Soundtoys' Black Friday sale for $80 instead of its usual $200. Maybe at the full price I would have been a bit more hesitant, but it's worth $80 any day.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I hope everyone grab ed the full for $250 during the recent sale, because each plugin they make is a gem. Decapitator and EchoBoy are the crown jewels, but I couldn’t imagine not having all their other plugins.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes and yes.... and a big YES to Echoboy jr for great sound and ease of use
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Yes and yes.... and a big YES to Echoboy jr for great sound and ease of use
Same, love EchoBoy Jr.

AA's Lemon for leads (vox, guitar etc). Best delay imo.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Decapitator is very versatile.

It covers such a broad range that I consider it in many different usage situations. It can be used in such a subtle way, that it almost is a different plug-in from the thing you are using to "punish" a track.

I agree with thismercifulfate about the bundle, get them all.

I often 'roll my own' echoes, but I like Echoboy a lot and I use it often. I think Filter Freak is awesome, Alterboy, Microshift, Devil-Loc, they are all great "toy" type plug ins for doing wild and crazy stuff. But their Little Plate is one of the best reverbs I have, even when using it as a perfectly "normal" plate .

Soundtoys is the only company that I have purchased a bundle from. I already have tons of the meat-and-potatoes EQs and reverbs and compressors. ST excels at the things that I did not already have, the things that are well, more like "toys".
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Man these are still stand up and are great

Echoboy hangs with any outboard... decapitator is great, too

Do it!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

You'll use both everyday! I have plenty of saturation plugins, and delay plugins, but decapitator and echoboy are in their own league. Very efficient plugins too! can't over-recommend them. In fact, I recommend the whole soundtoys 5 bundle, they don't make a plugin I don't absolutely love. There are very few plugins in that bundle that will "sit on the shelf" so to speak, and effect rack is one of the most CPU efficient plugin platforms I've used.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

One of their plugs that hasn't gotten mentioned here is SieQ, which I think is really cool. I like the simplicity of it, and having a built-in overdrive control allows you to take a sound places a typical EQ couldn't.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Echoboy is the best plugin delay I tried so far.
Excellent GUI and great filters and saturations on feedback.
I much prefer to use hardware delays, especially Boss DD500 which sounds better then any plugin, but if I need to use a plugin, I always go for Echoboy.

I don't like Decapitator so much, I made a one by one test with PSP Vintage warmer 2 and there is no comparison, PSP is at another level if you need to give saturation to any sound
Old 3 days ago
din
Gear Maniac

Decapitator is one of my favorite plugins of all time. Echoboy is fun and useful but not essential.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Decapitator is a solid part of every mix I do. As is echoboy but I could use another delay just as easily.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
2 things I absolutely agree on is buy the bundle and they sound analog even though they are digital....I don't understand it but it really does feel like it's running through something analog when you open the plugin....Crazy....I can get nice bottom end punchiness in synths or especially my acoustic drums....I don't even use triggered drums much anymore since I can get most of what I want out of these plugs with my real drums...I can get a low end out of my snare I didn't even know I recorded...Mutt would have loved these plugs back in the day...LOL....moon
Old 2 days ago
Lives for beer

Buying the whole rack bundle was some of the best Audio Bucks I've ever spent. Love the whole thing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search