The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo Microphone Question Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Stereo Microphone Question

Those of you using stereo mics w/variable angles- ala AKG C24/33, Neumann sm69 and the new Vanguard V44s: how do you center the mic when the lower capsule is fixed?

Let's say you want a 60 degree stereo field and rotate the top head to 60 degrees. Since the bottom capsule is fixed, the only way you'll get that 60 degrees is if you rotate the mic to the point where the capsule angle is coincident with the source.

Seems like it's a guessing game at that point- a visual (or audio) best guess. Or am I missing something?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use an SM69fet all the time. It’s not hard to visually line it up. It’s actually really easy if I line up the mic within its shockmount, and then just point the shockmount at the source.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I use an SM69fet all the time. It’s not hard to visually line it up. It’s actually really easy if I line up the mic within its shockmount, and then just point the shockmount at the source.
Thanks!

Just to clarify- you are rotating the mic until you visually estimate the capsules are at the same angle to the source (centered in the mount). So now the middle of the mic (the badge) is off center from the mount. (Goodness...I feel like I'm being a bit dense here!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

You should be able to see the center line where the capsules bisect. That what you point at the center of the source.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

With the USM69 I usually eyeball it and then confirm it with what I hear.
For instance on drums, I listen if the snare is indeed in the center.
But even if it‘s a bit off center, it usually doesn‘t matter in the final product since there is so much more obvious asymmetry going on in a mix.
Trust your ears.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search