The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones: AT's 50 vs 40 vs 30 vs 20 Studio Headphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Headphones: AT's 50 vs 40 vs 30 vs 20

Longshot but hoping to hear from someone who has heard any combo of these side by side and what if any diff's they noticed. These will be used for both mixing and tracking. I did hear 50 vs 20 back when and noticed little diff, but the conditions weren't great and I'm not quite convinced I'm OK going with 20s. I do know I don't want the 50s as the bass is notoriously hyped. I guess one of my main concerns is how far down the line that goes and where if anywhere did anyone hear a noticeable gap in any way?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
i'm happy with my 20's for mixing and mainly tracking
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggi View Post
i'm happy with my 20's for mixing and mainly tracking
Thx. Have you used any of the others and how did they compare?
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

The bass on the 50 isn't that hyped, it's boosted a bit, not as much as a dt770 tho. But it seems to be on the 50x. I did see a head-fi graph showing the 50x had a good few db more in the low end. The 50 still has great mids detail, really nice, snares sound great.

The 40x may be a little flatter, I haven't used them though, just what I hear about now and again.

Depends what you're using them for. I don't know how much I'd like to mix on them, they're a useful 2nd or 3rd set for analysis, Imo, there's a lot of better options around the same price for mixing, even with other closed backs. They are great headphones though, no mistake.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Thx. Have you used any of the others and how did they compare?
unfortunately not the 20's i have are the only reference i got. In my opinion they are pretty balanced for closed headphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The 50's are slightly scooped in the mids. The 20's have a significant high end boost. Neither are good for mixing.

But the 20's do reveal things in the high end and are helpful in that regard. The 50's? Not particularly revealing in any part of the spectrum. Neither pair are particularly isolating either (for tracking).

You can find Sennheiser HD6 MIX headphones for $150 these days- they have great isolation, come with coiled and a straight cords (detachable) and sound better than the AT's.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velour Jumpsoot View Post
The 50's are slightly scooped in the mids. The 20's have a significant high end boost. Neither are good for mixing.
Interesting, given how often 50s are touted as one of "the" phones to mix with (in that ballpark price range at least, if not more).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For tracking the 50’s have the best comfort and isolation. I also think they sound the best of the lot. I would never mix on any headphones so I can’t comment on how they do for that. If someone put a gun to my head, I’d choose my DT770 Pros for mixing. I also prefer them for tracking over the AT’s.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I've had the 50x, 40x, and 30x's for a few years now. I've never used the 20's.

The 50x have the most low end and best isolation of all of them. For me personally the low end is just a little too much for mixing. Bass players get these when tracking in my studio and they work great for that.

The 40x's sound the best to my ear and are my favorite of the three. Still more bass than probably most headphones but that's how I like it. I have successfully used them for mixing and mastering on a few occasions. I have some Denons that I like a little better than these for mixing/mastering but the voicing is in the same ballpark. I also usually give these to vocalists when tracking.

The 30x are still excellent, they have a little bit less bass and might be the flattest of the bunch. They are not hyped in the high end or low end and they still isolate very well. Since they're more midrange focused I usually give these to guitarists tracking in my studio.

I've got several other different pairs of headphones as well. I have no idea which would sound best or flattest to you, you really have to try them out, but I hope this helps.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It does and all the replies appreciated! I realize the only way to really KNOW is try them, but that's not a luxury I have (I'm not into buying a bunch of headphones and returning all but one, esp if I order any online). And I figure opinions like opinions on most anything will vary, I guess hoping I hear enough of the same kind of thing about the same ones that it's a reasonable conclusion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
It does and all the replies appreciated! I realize the only way to really KNOW is try them, but that's not a luxury I have (I'm not into buying a bunch of headphones and returning all but one, esp if I order any online). And I figure opinions like opinions on most anything will vary, I guess hoping I hear enough of the same kind of thing about the same ones that it's a reasonable conclusion.
All-in-all, the 50's are decent sounding headphones for the money, and they'd be ok for checking certain aspects of a mix. But you wouldn't want them as your sole reference.

Also, be aware that the ear cups will degrade after about 4-5 years of use, as will the headband. If you'e shopping, I would definitely consider the newer Yamaha's as well as Shure.

Any of those will get the job done, as long as the job isn't a sole reference for mixing!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use headphones as a sole ref ever, but thanks...just wondering what diffs the diff models have from each other (e.g. the hyped bass which I hate so 50s are out) and how much.
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

If you want neutral, I couldn't recommend the KRK 8400's more. I have more expensive neutral headphones, AKG550, I think voted best headphone under 200gbp by one of the big audiophile magazines, reference headphones, but the KRK ones are perfect, amazing for a closed back headphone. When I take them off and check through monitors it's exactly what I heard through the phones, all the levels are spot on on everything. No bass hype.

KRK KNS 8400 |

They cost about the same as m50x's now as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search