The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
basic microphone for vocals. Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

basic microphone for vocals.

This is my PC.

Upgrade recommendations (monitoring)

I use it for gaming and for recording my guitar.

I would like to get a microphone to add to this set up. Nothing very expensive. Just to record my voice and also use the same mic for gaming.

I was recommended the AKG C214

BAJAAO.COM - Buy AKG C214 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone with Aluminium Case Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

The other options are the Rode NT1, NT1A and NT2A

BAJAAO.COM - Buy Rode NT1 Cardioid Condenser Microphone Kit with SMR Shock Mount Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

BAJAAO.COM - Buy Rode Microphones NT1A Condenser Microphone Bundle Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

BAJAAO.COM - Buy Rode NT2A Large Capsule Studio Condenser Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

but the NT2A is a little outside my budget as is the Senheisser SM7B (recommended to my by the shopkeeper).

https://www.bajaao.com/products/shur...ant=1004433499

Unfortunately I am unable to try the microphones as they are all in sealed boxes so I need your advice.

Is the C214 adequate? How does it compare to the NT1 and NT1A?

Do I need to flexibility of the NT2A (Cardoid, Omni, Figure 8)?

Why was the salesman so adamant about the SM7B, is that that much better than everything else?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

The SM7b is a dynamic microphone, the others are condensers. Condenser tend to be better but only in well treated acoustic spaces as they often pick up the sound of the room more. Part of this is due to the type of mic but the other part is that you will likely be signing right into the mic with your lisps touching it. whereas the condenser you would normally be 8-12'in away. The other factor is the singer and the style of music.
So if the singer loud and have poor acoustics in your room the SM7b may be the better choice. But with good acoustics and softer voices the condenser are likely to be the better choice.

You should also consider your guitar, if you are recording acoustic guitar then the condensers are likely to be better. But good acoustics is very important for getting good acoustic guitar sound. If your recording electric then an SM7b can make a decent guitar cabinet mic. Dynamics are often used on guitar cabinets.

eventually you may need both kinds of mics. But get what seems to fit your budget and imeadiate needs and start working on getting your recording space acoustically sound as that will benefit all mics.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy View Post
The SM7b is a dynamic microphone, the others are condensers.

You should also consider your guitar, if you are recording acoustic guitar then the condensers are likely to be better.
Thanks.

I am only recording electric guitars via the 1/4" input of the audio interface. I was looking for a mic to record vocals via another 1/4" input of my audio interface.

Both guitar and mic will be connected to my UR44 Audio Interface.

While my room is a regular bedroom. The mic will be on my computer desk. When recording I can lock the doors so I am not disturbed.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The Shure (not Sennheiser) SM7B is the easiest to work with among those you mentioned.
It‘s not a stellar mic, but does see a lot of use in Studios everywhere because of that one thing it does very well (it was originally designed for radio anouncers).
So, for your intended uses, it‘s a no-brainer.
You‘ll get the same basic tone but less flexibility (no switchable low-cut or presence boost) for less money from the Shure SM57 or the SM58.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I'd steer clear of rode mics as a first mic. They're easily harsh if you don't have a really smooth voice to begin with and will record everything you don't want to hear in an untreated space as well, which will be terrible for gaming, their saving grace is that they're alright for guitar but so is the AKG 214 so I'd rather go for that one, if that's most important. The SM7B requires hell of a lot of gain to get a good signal out of but is a really great mic, especially in untreated rooms, it gets you that "radio voice".
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin advani View Post
Is the C214 adequate? How does it compare to the NT1 and NT1A?
They are all fine mics, except the NT1A (from what I have heard, I quickly add I have not used personally), which is infamous for a harsh high end.

Quote:
Do I need to flexibility of the NT2A (Cardoid, Omni, Figure 8)?
Probably not, based on what you've said.

Quote:
Why was the salesman so adamant about the SM7B, is that that much better than everything else?
Because he read it on the internet It has a very good rep so that might be why, or maybe he's actually used it in comparison to other mics and knows what he's talking about. Frankly I'd bet on that as the least likely reason, but who knows.

I'm a little confused if this is for your voice, guitar, or both? I know a LOT of guitarists are very happy with the SM57 (a dynamic mic like the 7B). Again I'm not a guitarist and can't say personally, but it is a good and versatile mic and excellent bang for the buck, and you can use it for voice as well. Personally I think there are better vocal mics for that price range (like the Sennheiser 835), but again that's just my opinion, and not sure how that would work on a guitar.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
The Shure (not Sennheiser) SM7B is the easiest to work with among those you mentioned.
So, for your intended uses, it‘s a no-brainer..
Thanks. My use for the mic is ONLY for voice. Judging by all the advice I have got so far it is either the SM7B or C214.

The SM7B is a bit outside my budget (it about 33% more expensive than the C214 in India) but if it is more suitable I can stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire View Post
but so is the AKG 214 so I'd rather go for that one, if that's most important. The SM7B requires hell of a lot of gain to get a good signal out of but is a really great mic, especially in untreated rooms, it gets you that "radio voice".
I will be connecting the SM7B (if I get it) to a Steinberg UR44 Audio Interface. I presume the UR44 will have enough gain for it? If not the C214 might be my best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I'm a little confused if this is for your voice, guitar, or both?
Personally I think there are better vocal mics for that price range (like the Sennheiser 835), but again that's just my opinion, and not sure how that would work on a guitar.
This is only for my voice. I mostly (actually almost always) only use my electric guitar. The guitar will go into one input of the UR44 and the mic will use another input. If I ever do connect my Acoustic guitar to the UR44 it would be via my LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI.

The purpose of this mic is the following:

My PC is used primarily for gaming. It is not a "gaming PC" compared to some high end gaming machines I have seen, but is just about ok. Currently I use a headphone mic for gaming.

But I also need to record my guitar and voice for my college admissions. So I need to have a set up that permits me to do this hence the addition of the UR44. Since I don't need to use 2 mics. I will hence use the same mic (C214, SM7B, etc.) for gaming.

There are the connections I hope to make:

Inputs:
  1. Mic (via 1/4" TRS) -> UR44 (via USB) -> PC
  2. Electric Guitar(via 1/4" Mono) -> UR 44 (via USB) -> PC

Outputs:
  1. PC (via USB) -> UR44 (via 1/4" TRS) -> monitor speakers
  2. UR 44 -> Over the ear headphones from Senheisser / Beyer Dynamic

I hope this makes sense.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

When you say "I also need to record my guitar and voice for my college admissions," so you're submitting some recordings for a class/degree? i.e. are you singing or is it just for speaking (voiceovers), or both? That makes a difference. Either way, while of course you want it to sound at least reasonably good, I would think/hope any decent mic would be fine, i.e. you'll be judged on the content, not a modest degree of difference between one mic or the other (assuming your teacher(s) can even tell the difference anyway). Unless you have a lot of extra money laying around, something like the Sennheiser I mentioned or a Shure SM58 (which makes more sense than the 57 for vocals) should be more than enough, but even that may be overkill, esp if it's just voiceovers, in which case you should look at the Blue Yeti, which is far more versatile than any of the others with many more features (so it would be much more practical for your gaming). Oh and the SM7 is your worst choice of all these, not because of quality but because of both cost and also being known to need more volume (interface gain on the preamp, basically) than even your interface will provide.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Sm7b is not the mic for you. A Shure beta 57 would be a much better fit. Good luck.
Old 2 days ago
The problem is, voices are very different, so the right mic for one singer may not be for another. That said, I really like inexpensive Blue microphones with a lot of singers.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
When you say "I also need to record my guitar and voice for my college admissions," so you're submitting some recordings for a class/degree? i.e. are you singing or is it just for speaking (voiceovers), or both? That makes a difference.

Unless you have a lot of extra money laying around, something like the Sennheiser I mentioned or a Shure SM58.
My college applications are for "Applied Physics" but I have listed music as one of my hobbies. My school counsellor told me to keep some tracks ready in case I am asked to submit proof of my interest in music.

I need to mic mostly for voice overs to explain the music and also in case I am asked to sing anything - one never knows what is asked for in an application.

The microphone would be placed on my desk about 10" from my mouth so I can keep the guitar on my lap and play and talk into the microphone at the same time. I was told a "directional condenser" microphone would be the best option because I would be holding the microphone to my mouth and the "directional" part would automatically filter out sound from the sides.

Thanks. The SM58 is a lot cheaper than the SM7B. I think know why the shopkeeper I went to never showed me this. He earns less from cheaper microphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Sm7b is not the mic for you. A Shure beta 57 would be a much better fit. Good luck.
Thank you. So SM57 beta or SM58 should be what I am looking at?

I would also need to get a stand mount for my desk. Would I need to get a cloth filter for these as well?

BTW I found 2 SM58 but no SM57 beta.
BAJAAO.COM - Buy Shure SM58S Mic with Switch Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping
Buy Shure SM58S Mic with Switch Bundle Online | Bajaao
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
The problem is, voices are very different, so the right mic for one singer may not be for another. That said, I really like inexpensive Blue microphones with a lot of singers.
You recommend Blue over Shure, AKG, and Rode?

I found this. How would the software work with Cubase AI that I got with my UR44?
Buy Blue Snowball Studio All-in-One Vocal Recording System Online | Bajaao

found another 2 other Blue mics. The second one looks like it can sit on my desk.
Buy Blue Microphones Spark Condenser Microphone Bundle Online | Bajaao

BAJAAO.COM - Buy Blue Yeti Pro Multipattern Condenser Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

This one is about as expensive as the Shure SM7B (a bit outside my budget).
BAJAAO.COM - Buy Blue Microphones Bluebird Cardioid Condenser Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

The Blue Yeti Pro looks like me best bet from the Blue range.

Oh well now I am even more confused.

So I need to choose between Condenser or Dynamic?
  1. If Condenser: Blue Yeti Pro or AKG C214
  2. If Dynamic: Shure SM58 + desk stand

Thanks guys.

For the record the same shopkeeper also sold me the UR44. Unfortunately he cant give me microphones to try at home. He places and order only after I tell him what I want.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Just found this.

[Sound Test] Blue Yeti vs. AKG c214 Comparison

So given the rejection of noise by the C214 it is a 2 horse race now.

Dynamic: SM58 v/s Condenser: AKG C214

The AKG C214 is a full kit.

What sort of desk stand would I need for a microphone like this?
BAJAAO.COM - Buy Shure SM58-LC Dynamic Cardioid Professional Vocal Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
You recommend Blue over Shure, AKG, and Rode?

I found this. How would the software work with Cubase AI that I got with my UR44?
Buy Blue Snowball Studio All-in-One Vocal Recording System Online | Bajaao

found another 2 other Blue mics. The second one looks like it can sit on my desk.
Buy Blue Microphones Spark Condenser Microphone Bundle Online | Bajaao

BAJAAO.COM - Buy Blue Yeti Pro Multipattern Condenser Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

This one is about as expensive as the Shure SM7B (a bit outside my budget).
BAJAAO.COM - Buy Blue Microphones Bluebird Cardioid Condenser Microphone Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

The Blue Yeti Pro looks like me best bet from the Blue range.

Oh well now I am even more confused.

Thanks guys.

For the record the same shopkeeper also sold me the UR44. Unfortunately he cant give me microphones to try at home. He places and order only after I tell him what I want.
Yes. We a/b'd the Blue Yeti against a Neumann u87 and, shockingly, the mics were fairly close in character. Too Close! I would buy a Blue Yeti over a Rode. The Rode mics have a high end sheen that I don't really like.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just found this.

[Sound Test] Blue Yeti vs. AKG c214 Comparison

So given the rejection of noise by the C214 it is a 2 horse race now.
No offense to that post but I wouldn't base my decision on that. And honestly the 214 is more money than it makes sense to spend, given what you're doing.

Quote:
How would the software work with Cubase AI that I got with my UR44?
Cubase is a DAW; so is that, so you don't need it. If you know how to use Cubase and are happy with it, keep doing it. But it wouldn't hurt to try if you go that route.

Quote:
Actually the more I think about it, for what you're doing, a dynamic mic would probably serve you a bit better. (Sorry I forgot the Yeti is a condenser) Dynamics tend to not pick up as much unwanted noise and are more durable.

Although I saw on your Bajaao site that the Sennheiser 835 is only about half the cost and IMO is a slightly better mic than the 58. Certainly no worse. Of course others will say the 58 is better..but basically they are similar mics, so why spend twice as much? The 58 is not twice as good as the 835 or even close.

Regardless, unless you're rich, I'd forget the 214. Overkill for what you're doing. If you decide on a condenser, there are numerous other ones that are very good for half as much or less that wold work fine for you.
Old 13 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
Too Close! I would buy a Blue Yeti over a Rode. The Rode mics have a high end sheen that I don't really like.
Thanks. This forum has raised my knowledge level infinitely.

Quote:
N
honestly the 214 is more money than it makes sense to spend, given what you're doing.

Actually the more I think about it, for what you're doing, a dynamic mic would probably serve you a bit better. (Sorry I forgot the Yeti is a condenser) Dynamics tend to not pick up as much unwanted noise and are more durable.

Although I saw on your Bajaao site that the Sennheiser 835

Regardless, unless you're rich, I'd forget the 214. Overkill for what you're doing. If you decide on a condenser, there are numerous other ones that are very good for half as much or less that wold work fine for you.
I guess the reason I thought about condensers is that the microphone will be about 10" from me. Will a dynamic microphone work even if the microphone is not near my mouth. I was told that dynamic mics are better for stage use when the singer is singing into the mic and condenser mics are better if the singer is more than 2-3" from the mic.

My object is to put the mic on a desk stand (see link below) and then I can hold the guitar and play and talk at the same time.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/i...and_285063.jpg

If a dynamic mic will function 10" away from my mouth, then I can get the 835. I am going back to the shop on Friday (I have exams till Friday) so I hope to have decided by then.

There is an 835S and a 835 which has a switch. Should I get that instead of the 835?
BAJAAO.COM - Buy Sennheiser e835S Cardioid Handheld Dynamic Microphone with On/Off Switch Online India, Musical Instruments Shopping

Thanks everyone.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear
The 835S and the 835 are exactly the same mic. You can decide if the switch is of any use to you. I’ve never seen a switched mic in a real pro studio, but I do have one at home that is sometimes used as a talkback mic.
To me, the 835 sounds better (sweeter?) than a 58 or an SM7b, and I do own all three. The 835 is still made in Germany and is a well engineered and finished microphone.
Old 12 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The 835S and the 835 are exactly the same mic. You can decide if the switch is of any use to you. I’ve never seen a switched mic in a real pro studio, but I do have one at home that is sometimes used as a talkback mic.
To me, the 835 sounds better (sweeter?) than a 58 or an SM7b, and I do own all three. The 835 is still made in Germany and is a well engineered and finished microphone.
Thanks. Chalk up one more for the 835.

Is the 835 (or for that matter the SM58) sensitive enough to pick up my voice from about 10" distance?

What is a talk back mic? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear
Yes, the 835 will pick you up at 10”.
A talkback mic is a mic the engineer in the control room uses to communicate with musicians in the studio (live recording room). In my case, substitute “living room” for studio.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Is the 835 (or for that matter the SM58) sensitive enough to pick up my voice from about 10" distance?
Keep in mind that the more distance there is between you, the more room will be picked up... which, in an untreated room it may sound like an echo-y mess..
10" is not terribly far, but you still may find that recording in 2 passes, where you can record vocals much closer to the mic might help you cut down on your room sound if it becomes a problem
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. Any mic will do that. Or even from ten feet away. But "handheld" type dynamics are really meant to be worked much closer, usually from zero to about three inches. Any further than that and the sound tends to "thin out" very noticeably. The further away the worse, generally. Of course, you can compensate to some degree with EQ.
And as was posted above, the further away, the more of "everything else" will be picked up (room, computer fan, outside sounds, and especially acoustic guitar, just for a few examples).
A condenser on the other hand may sound more "natural" at a distance, but will usually be even _worse about picking up "ambient" sounds. Unless it is a type specifically made to work at a distance and reject from the sides, e.g. a "shotgun" mic or something similar.
I don't recall if this has already been mentioned, or dismissed, but a good quality dynamic "headset" mic might be worthy of consideration. They look "goofy" IMHO, but do solve the problem of ambient rejection almost completely.
Otherwise, you should look for a "hyper-cardioid" or "super-cardioid" pattern mic, and probably a dynamic for simplicity and less ambient pickup, e.g. a beta57 (or beta58 if the beta57 is unavailable). IMHO. Good luck.
Old 21 minutes ago
Lives for gear

I kinda miss my 'ol 835. They're so cheap and sound good. I may pick one up for home use early next year. They're way less fussy than a Shure 57/58 regarding "which pre?".

Plus I'm curious now that my Baritone is getting fuller.
(at least there's some benefit from getting older!)

That 835 sounded tremendous on a barbershop buddy of mine, with a Bass-Baritone.

I'm biased away from those "Beta" Shure's due to my natural sssibilance.
But they sure sounded great on the Allman Bros. live vocals!

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search