The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverse mixer 2:8??? Mixers (Analog)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Reverse mixer 2:8???

This might be a weird query but I wish to track a stereo synth and send it to 4 different stereo out stomp boxes in different amounts.

So basically what I’m looking for is a mixer that has a stereo input and 4 stereo returns. So I’d send the stereo synth to let’s say a chorus, a flanger, a hardware comp, a reverb etc and blend those returns thru a pair of preamps/line amps and record.

There most likely isn’t such a device made but since this is gearslutz someone might have more insight or an idea of how to do it.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If the synth is man enough to drive all four pedals at once you could use a regular mixer and some home made cables. If you made some slitter cables that convert the synth output into five separate outputs you could connect four of them to the pedals and the fifth to the mixer. Also connect the pedal outs to the mixer and blend to taste.

Cheers

Ian
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Could you be looking for a distribution amplifier like this: Sonifex RB-DA6G 6 Way Stereo Distribution Amplifier With Output Gain Control
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There are very few tasks like this that can't be achieved with a small Mackie 1202 mixer and a semi-normalled patchbay.

First split the stereo signal into 4 using a patchbay.

Then you could fudge some sort of solution with the Mackie as follows:

Main Outputs
Alt 3/4 Outputs
Aux 1 Send Outputs
Aux 2 Send Outputs

Potentially the L/R phono Tape Outputs and even the Cans Outputs could be deployed somehow as well.

The issue is going to be the 'stereo-ness' of the Aux send signals, because I suspect the sends on the stereo channels just send a summed L/R to the mono Aux out.

But if you're planning to mangle the sound with some stomp boxes it's debatable that you need the all signal paths to be true stereo, no?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
This might be a weird query but I wish to track a stereo synth and send it to 4 different stereo out stomp boxes in different amounts.

So basically what I’m looking for is a mixer that has a stereo input and 4 stereo returns. So I’d send the stereo synth to let’s say a chorus, a flanger, a hardware comp, a reverb etc and blend those returns thru a pair of preamps/line amps and record.

There most likely isn’t such a device made but since this is gearslutz someone might have more insight or an idea of how to do it.

Cheers!
Maybe I'm understanding the question wrong; my appologies if that's the case.
But, unless having ONLY ONE STEREO INPUT PAIR is a hard requirement, isn't that what any 8 buss/subs mixer would easily do?

You'd just input the source/synth into channel, say, 9/10, select all 8 subgroups buttons on this channel pair, leaving the "mix" button unselected.
Then on channels 1-8, where the 8 subgroups are hardwired/bussed to, you can insert any desired effect and adjust the desired balances on the faders (hard panned per pair).
Of course you'd then have to record the whole thing via the main outs, and not, as you'd *normally* do, through the sub outs themselves.

* On a console the main outs are used to record the mix to 2-track machine, while the multitrack machine is recorded on through the sub outs/groups.*

Success.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I guess I could split the signal in my eurorack with a buffered mult and record it all to ableton and then just blend to taste. Getting a huge mixer is out of my budget. I could get a lot of synth for that price!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search