The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Old" PCI card into PCIe 16x slot - converter?
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

"Old" PCI card into PCIe 16x slot - converter?

Hi all

I have an "old" Hammerfall DSP 9632 PCI card that I was unsing until recently in my PC. Great piece of equipment that served me well.

I've now switched to a new PC after the old one died - and realized a bit too late that the motherboard doesn't have PCI slots anymore, only PCIe (the small ones and the x16 big ones).

Is there any adapter/converter you are aware of that I can use to plug the old PCI card into a new slot?

Would be a shame to abandon it just because it doesn't "fit" anymore....
Old 9th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Just Google "PCIe to PCI adapter" and you'll find plenty available. Should be under $20 US.
Old 9th December 2018
I'm in the same boat (Multiface 2) but still have my PCI slotted PC. I know it won't last forever so I did some searching for an adapter the other day. Yes they exist but I didn't feel very confident about the reviews. Given how critical this piece of gear is, I'm not holding out much hope. But they don't cost a whole lot, at least there's that. I'd say just make sure you get one with a good return policy.

On a similar note, I'm shocked at how cheap these used Multifaces are going for. What was once about $500 is now closer to $150 (without PCI/PCIe/CardBus). And it's not like the newer stuff from RME or others is that much better. It's still a great converter (not top of the line, but very good, and it can be improved with a clock) with rock solid drivers, super low latency and what I would call top of the line MIDI.

Meanwhile, used PCIe Hammerfall cards are still expensive as hell. They pop up on eBay once in a while. I'm debating whether to invest in one, thus staying the course for years to come OR just giving in, selling the Multiface and going for a MADI setup. RME's MADI HDSPe card costs (gulp) $1800 but I'll get to hold on to RME's great drivers & MIDI while being able to use a wide variety of converter gear.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
.... I'm in the same boat (Multiface 2) but still have my PCI slotted PC. I know it won't last forever so I did some searching for an adapter the other day. ....

Meanwhile, used PCIe Hammerfall cards are still expensive as hell. ... RME's MADI HDSPe card costs (gulp) $1800 but I'll get to hold on to RME's great drivers & MIDI while being able to use a wide variety of converter gear.
Reviving an old thread here:

Yesterday, I just finished successfully testing an RME HDSP MADI (PCI version, under $300 used) in a StarTech external case.

The StarTech PEX2PCIE4L has two x1 PCIe slots and two PCI slots. It connects via a "DVI" cable into the computer to an x1 PCIe 1.1 card that also has a "DVI" connection. The provided cable looks exactly like a normal DVI cable, but the ports have the appropriate warnings to not connect a video input to that mechanically similar port.

I did this in my primary 2010 Mac Pro under Win10 Pro. High Sierra testing commences today, but I don't expect any problems. The StarTech inside has:
- PCIe Inateck KT4004 4-port USB 3.0 card
- PCIe UAD-2 Duo DSP
- PCI RME HDSP MADI

Everything works fine. The only compromise is that an x1 PCIe 1.1 is 250Mbyte/sec transfer (~2Gbit/sec), so an SSD on a USB 3.0 port (~5Gbit/sec) can't run at its potential. This is not an issue for me, and the advantage of getting all the slots in play is a tremendous help to retain this old Mac Pro with its NewerTech RAID card as a viable content creation platform. Power for devices in the StarTech PCIe/PCI case is limited to 36 watts, but there's no fan, so silence is guaranteed.

There's a larger story surrounding this that I will document in an article soon. The intent is to integrate a second Mac Pro as a MainStage soft-synth machine via an ExpressCard MADIface, and to run dual GTX 1070 cards in the primary Mac Pro.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So, here's the update on the High Sierra testing of the PCI HDSP MADI card: It doesn't work!

That's right, RME never wrote a PCI driver for macOS to cover the HDSP PCI MADI card. Only the HDSPe PCIe MADI, and the ExpressCard MADI cards are supported, even though the same driver package covers the product range.

This is confirmed in a post from 2014 in the RME forum. Bummer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Rather than looking for adaptor bandaids, there are alternative options. If one has an old card and doesn't want to part with it, simply buy a currently-manufactured windowsXp etc computer that has pci slots. Companies like Nixsys etc make those (in fact they also make windows98 computers). Then pop that computer as a master or slave into a daw farm setup and voila, you have use of your old card however you want.

For those who own older, working computers, those can also be integrated into farms....as well as whatever old peripherals you still want to utilize.
Old 4 weeks ago
re adapter

You can get one on Ebay. I am using my old PCI RME card as I type this with an adapter into an PCI express slot on my PC.

The only tricky part is that with the adapter the back of the card doesn't line up with the slot in my case.

You can get them for around $20 and up on Ebay.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yep they work, after upgrading my old i7 4770k pc to a new i9 9900k I was suddenly faced with no PCI slots for my Motu soundcards (love them for composing due to low latency).

Bought a cheap 2 x PCI slots to 1 x PCIE convertor and it all works fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Yep they work, after upgrading my old i7 4770k pc to a new i9 9900k I was suddenly faced with no PCI slots for my Motu soundcards (love them for composing due to low latency).

Bought a cheap 2 x PCI slots to 1 x PCIE convertor and it all works fine.
Which model adaptor?
Old 4 weeks ago
I really can’t remember which adapter and pc is tucked behind a load of cables which is also behind my main desk so chances of me opening it up to see are low, sorry bud.

But it was only about £10 on Amazon, cheap enough to take a risk on.
Old 2 weeks ago
MediaGary had the answer. There are a bunch of adapters out there. Some work & some don't. He found one that worked with his RME card (though unfortunately not for his Mac). Thanks for that update, I'll look into it.

Bottom line, make sure what you get has an easy return policy.

@ thenoodle -- Getting another PC is an option for some, depending on long term goals. But I'd rather have one PC and if I get a new one, I'd prefer an upgrade with all the advantages. In most cases I think the PC you run your RME card in would also be where you run your DAW, FX, etc. I'd have to do some research on the cost benefit but for me, I'd want at least an I7 for that. Seems like that would cost considerably more than the $400 or less that an external adapter would cost.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Rather than looking for adaptor bandaids, there are alternative options. If one has an old card and doesn't want to part with it, simply buy a currently-manufactured windowsXp etc computer that has pci slots. Companies like Nixsys etc make those (in fact they also make windows98 computers). Then pop that computer as a master or slave into a daw farm setup and voila, you have use of your old card however you want.

For those who own older, working computers, those can also be integrated into farms....as well as whatever old peripherals you still want to utilize.
How do you get the audio onto the computer with your DAW program?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search