The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stompboxes?
Old 24th October 2002
Gear Nut

Stompboxes?

What stompboxes do the guitarists here use for distortion on guitars? Im looking for something that can give me a real heavy sound with alot of low-end thump. I use a boss MT-2. Thinkin of getting either a Rocktron Rampage or line 6 DM4. Wudduya think?
Old 25th October 2002
Lives for gear

HOTCAKE!!!!!!

Hand made in New Zealand by Paul 'emmelyn' Crowther of 'split enz' fame.. if u remember them? and evey GTR player worth their salt has one!!! seriously!

Chek it...

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Nut

Looks cool. Would probably sound great thru an ac30. If only I were rich, I would buy the DM4, the rampage, AND the hotcake(just to hear it thru a vox). I think the line 6 DM4 would be the best choice coz it's a whole lotta pedals in one. But the question i, does it sound good? Has any body tried one?

THNX for the suggestion wiggy
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

I've never seen a rave on the DM-4 from an experienced player. It's been given credit for giving interesting sounds, but it isn't quite like anything it's supposed to model, and their's something about it that's not quite on. I've read technical explanations that key harmonics for distortion are beyond the range of common digital gear (and I don't recall how high the resolution would have to go to change this). So definitely try before you buy to see if it works for you. While there is some dissension regarding the Delay and Modulation modeler, response to those pedals has been much warmer.

The low end thump thing I've always taken to be more from an amp than a pedal. Big bass on a pedal tends to be loose or mushy, rarely well defined. Easier to get that sound from a high power tube amp with a big output transformer pushing modern speakers with big magnets and fairly stiff cones loaded in a closed back cab. Probably not undoable, but I don't know just a pedal that'll get you in that zone.

Bear
Old 25th October 2002
I have a Hot Cake!

Er.. thats all I have!

And a Roland / boss Chorus Ensemble pedal

Old 25th October 2002
Gear Guru

The joint I pimp at part time just got in a few of the Marshal pedals. The gov'ner seems pretty cool. If you turn the mids down it;s like a Mesa in a box. A friend has one and he says he was able to get a lot of different tones out of it.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Head

I have a DM4, and i use it mostly as a part of my home (studio) setup. It can't compete with the pedals its simulating but its a great toy for experiments and the occasional dubs that require a distinct sound that my normal setup can't provide. As part of your main setup i'd go with something that delivers one or two GREAT sounds if i were you.
Old 26th October 2002
Gear Nut

Re: Stompboxes?

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
What stompboxes do the guitarists here use for distortion on guitars? Im looking for something that can give me a real heavy sound with alot of low-end thump. I use a boss MT-2. Thinkin of getting either a Rocktron Rampage or line 6 DM4. Wudduya think?
Try the Distortion Pro from Fulltone. It gets pretty damn heavy.

-Moze
Old 26th October 2002
http://www.badcatamps.com/home.asp

Haven't heard it, but this is from Mark Sampson from Matchless Amps fame (who was partners with Rick Perotta of Royer Microphones). Looks pretty cool...probably sounds great considering the lineage.
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

I officially can't get behind any fulltone product.

For rock stuff I try to get my hands on something like the old Matchless hotbox. Grunge, Big Muff. Stoner Rock, TS9 into a Marshall. Punk & Metal, gain from head.

You results may deviate, try everything.
Old 26th October 2002
Gear Nut

Thanx for the suggestions guys, but what about the Rocktron Rampage?
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

I'm rather fond of the Nobel ODR-1...between that, a vintage TS808, BlueTube pedal, and a tweaked Ibanez TubeKing, I can get pretty much whatever the situation calls for...

Live I tend to use a Boss BluesDriver...I have heard the Rampage, and it seems pretty indistinct, sounds pretty much like everything else...but that's just me.
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

The older MXR distortion+ units are cool. I've got an '81' that works great for a lot of things. The newer ones seem buzzier in a not so good way... at least to me.
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

a lot of distortion boxes ive heard so far sound kinda " thin " , compared to the undistorted sound . kinda like a vacum cleaner effect <----- swiiiiiiiishhhh " where is it " ???

last thing ive heard which made me go WOW ... that sounds like
a monster ( with a jcm 800 100W and 4*12 300 W celestion )

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/p...dals/gv-2.html

( maybe we just smoked too much , but its worth a try and its on a good budget , too , which is nowadays kinda rare )

good luck
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Tim L:
The older MXR distortion+ units are cool. I've got an '81' that works great for a lot of things.
AARRGGHH! I recently sold my prototype MXR Distortion+ to my brother Bobby.

The Danelectro Fab Tone is something kinda wicked you might want to check out. It features the sort of bass and treble controls that can re-create that low-end thump that Gone Fission was talking about...maybe even more than you are bargaining for. You can get some seriously hyped soundz from that pedal, direct in through a mic pre. Then double it out to stereo - whoah! Thirty-foot square waves. Surf's up, yo!

YMMV.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

The joint I pimp at part time just got in a few of the Marshal pedals. The gov'ner seems pretty cool.

Nope! The marshalls sound thin and take away what the gtr really sounds like. I want to step on a pedal and get the gain I want but not change the whole tone and when it's off. I want it off true bypass. Boss I used for years when I was a kid they suck. Step on it running into a nice tube amp will suck your sound away. Yuck!

Check out http://www.barberelectronics.com/

Direct Drive AC/DC in a box. Burn Unit I use alot run into many different tube amps they rock.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

AARRGGHH! I recently sold my prototype MXR Distortion+ to my brother Bobby.
You must love your brother very, very much.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

Don't forget to try a gain boost pedal in front of a tube amp. Make sure that it is pretty clean gain too. I really dislike any sort of distortion pedal in front of an already distorted tube amp. Just a little 741-based gain boost could help.

Ian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search