The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor (500 vs rack) BGV Mic Pre Chain Channel Strips
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
Compressor (500 vs rack) BGV Mic Pre Chain

Hi guys, I would like to hear your thoughts on what compressor you think will sound best with my current setup and a Background Vocals Mic Pre Chain. My room is almost done and I have:

Aurora (n)
Sure SM7b
RND 5032's
Neumann KH120

Auralex Roominator 32 kit
Primacoustic London 8 kit

I almost went for 2-3 Klark KT-76's last week and held back because I was discouraged by a few people who were encouraging me to save and get a much better 1176 clone like the Wes Audio Beta 1176 or the Mimas and a 500 series rack.

I'm battling whether to plunge into the 500 series at this time or not.

So I have two RND 5032 mic pres and would need 2 compressors to track guitars and bass; Cab and DI.

We have (3) Background vocalists so I need 3-4 identical mic pres. I don't want to have to get 2 RND portico modules to fill a rack space, they are pretty expensive and if I go RND again i'll go the newer versions instead of the Portico but to purchase three at this time is a bit too much. Other options are to get something like Focusrite ISA 428? Think I can get away recording bgv’s without compression but definitely need something good for lead.

What compressor would sound good with the 5032 and SM7b?

Last edited by musicminister187; 5 days ago at 12:29 AM..
Old 5 days ago
  #2
I have the kt-1176 and like it a lot, its simple yet flexible and works just about on anything. No problems with mine.

I have two api 6b lunchboxes, generally I only buy modules not in another format ... For compressors in my case its 2 x api 525.

I'm using my gear for my analog synths and my wife's vocals. If I were to choose two of my comps for bass and guitar I would choose the GAP la2a and la3a respectfully with the kt-1176 and 525 as alternatives. All of those are often used for vocals too.
Old 5 days ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I have the kt-1176 and like it a lot, its simple yet flexible and works just about on anything. No problems with mine.

I have two api 6b lunchboxes, generally I only buy modules not in another format ... For compressors in my case its 2 x api 525.

I'm using my gear for my analog synths and my wife's vocals. If I were to choose two of my comps for bass and guitar I would choose the GAP la2a and la3a respectfully with the kt-1176 and 525 as alternatives. All of those are often used for vocals too.
Thanks I’ll check out the GAP gear. How would you compare the sound to the KT-1176. Have you had the chance of testing any other 1176 clones?
Old 5 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
A couple quick comments:

1) The most important thing is what you want the compressor to do. Do you want something that will cleaning manage dynamic range or something that will color the sound?

2) with 3 background vocalist, you absolutely do not need 3 identical mic pres. In the hundreds of albums I have made it has never dawned on my for a second that I would need to use the same mic pre for all BGVs. If you want identical mic pres, that is find, but you sure do not need that.
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
A couple quick comments:

1) The most important thing is what you want the compressor to do. Do you want something that will cleaning manage dynamic range or something that will color the sound?

2) with 3 background vocalist, you absolutely do not need 3 identical mic pres. In the hundreds of albums I have made it has never dawned on my for a second that I would need to use the same mic pre for all BGVs. If you want identical mic pres, that is find, but you sure do not need that.
1. Not quite sure, The 5032 is a bit cleaner than the vintage Neves. Clean isn’t bad. I think I want to cover the 1176 style to begin with.

2. Awesome, thanks for the advise here.

Last edited by musicminister187; 5 days ago at 05:20 PM..
Old 4 days ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 
drycappuccinoguy's Avatar
A compressor would be nice, but get a decent LDC first. Your SM7b is your weak link.
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy View Post
A compressor would be nice, but get a decent LDC first. Your SM7b is your weak link.
Okay, I have plans to soon. We did a live recording (5 tracks) in London and the sm7b was used and now we have 3 more songs to track (studio versions) so I wanted the lead vox to sound very similar. Just for this project.

I’m not going to invest in the 500 series just yet. I’m looking for a good vocal compressor under $1000???
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Gear Addict
 
drycappuccinoguy's Avatar
The SM7b is a good dynamic mic and for live performances has good rejection so I could see it being really useful in that environment. It can be good for some vocalists in the studio as well. It may be the right mic for your situation. If you are recording live performances then you may not want an LDC and I can see why you might want a compressor next.
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
bowzin's Avatar
I think go back to your original instinct with the Klark 1176! If you want to try a hardware compressor, but aren't terribly sure which one, seems like that's a perfect choice for that situation and keeps money in your LDC budget which is way more important. Also immediately buy Klanghelm MJUC for ~$30 it's an excellent tube vari-mu style compressor plugin, especially good for vocals and bass. There's even a free version on his site.

With the 1176 first in the chain, whether you track with it or use it during mixing, and then Klanghelm MJUC after it in the DAW... that would be really, really flexible and I bet you'll be very happy and you'll have lots of money left over to replace the Auralex foam! J/k j/k
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I think go back to your original instinct with the Klark 1176! If you want to try a hardware compressor, but aren't terribly sure which one, seems like that's a perfect choice for that situation and keeps money in your LDC budget which is way more important. Also immediately buy Klanghelm MJUC for ~$30 it's an excellent tube vari-mu style compressor plugin, especially good for vocals and bass. There's even a free version on his site.

With the 1176 first in the chain, whether you track with it or use it during mixing, and then Klanghelm MJUC after it in the DAW... that would be really, really flexible and I bet you'll be very happy and you'll have lots of money left over to replace the Auralex foam! J/k j/k
Lol really? You don’t think I should use the Auralex kit? What will go best with the small Primacoustic kit? I have the MJUC but haven’t tried it yet, I will today.
I’m also thinking about making the stretch and get something like Wes Audio Beta76, Serpent Splice or Black Lion Seventeen and be done with it. Want something I’ll keep forever. I wish I could hear these for my self tbh, that way I’ll know exactly what I want.
How does the Klark compare to these? Are they worth the extra?
A good 1176 will do it for starts. I forgot to mention the previous songs we complete were done with a Purple MC77 but I’ve found too many negative reviews on this piece.
I saw the Portico 5043 for cheap but not sure how it does for tracking. I’ve ready it’s more on the transparent side and good on the bus.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
You don't immediately have to buy 2 or 3 klark 1176s, but right now it's so cheap that you can buy one just to check it out. Paid 160 euros ex VAT for mine new, that's a crazy good deal IMO. You can always get a more expensive option but you might love it already (I know I do).
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
richie0801 / Low End Theory
11
ollieneedham / So much gear, so little time
8
Mofat Recording / So much gear, so little time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump