The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Poor man ‘s Sony C800 G (Jk audio vs Advanced audio)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #121
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateZoo View Post
There are quite a few so-called poor man ‘s Sony C800G

1. The earlier JJ audio Akita (which uses the same 6au6 tube and same transformer, and choices of 67 capsules)

2. The more recent Advanced Audio CM800T, much cheaper than the JJaudio one

In terms of lead vocal application, Anyone owned or tried both mics? Any comments as to which got closer to a sony? Or which is a better sounding mic? Or more Versatile mic?

Korby Kat White for sale! Tracy Korby's Take on the Sony C800G sound!

https://reverb.com/item/27170344-kor...ny-c800g-sound
Old 4 weeks ago
  #122
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
My AA CM800-T is on its way to me
Old 4 weeks ago
  #123
Lives for gear
 


Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #124
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
It arrived and OMG it sounds sooo smooth. Now I want their ELAM 251 knockoff, too, even though I can‘t afford it
Old 4 weeks ago
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Just for the record, I sold my TB-303 to be able to afford the microphone
Old 4 weeks ago
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
It arrived and OMG it sounds sooo smooth. Now I want their ELAM 251 knockoff, too, even though I can‘t afford it
I've never known a C800G to be smooth.... more like a hot knife through butter type sound. Where vocals sound very modern bright and forward with a tube compressed radio ready sound. IMHO, if your CM800T is smooth it might be broken. In fact almost every other mic will sound smooth next to a C800G, lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #127
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Just for the record, I sold my TB-303 to be able to afford the microphone
For real? That's a big move coming from you! Did you get something to replace it or are you just moving away from that sound?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #128
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
For real? That's a big move coming from you! Did you get something to replace it or are you just moving away from that sound?
I have an Avalon Bassline since years which I am keeping. It‘s more useful for my music these days. Most of the time I don‘t use it in a typical 303 manner.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I've never known a C800G to be smooth.... more like a hot knife through butter type sound. Where vocals sound very modern bright and forward with a tube compressed radio ready sound. IMHO, if your CM800T is smooth it might be broken. In fact almost every other mic will sound smooth next to a C800G, lol.
It definitely doesn’t sound broken. Its sound indeed is cutting through, yet smooth. Probably it‘s because of working with cheaper mics that in comparison the others are more harsh. With „smooth“ I mean that it doesn’t need a lot of de essing to smooth things out, for example. Also the frequency response doesn‘t need a lot of EQ to smooth things out, compared to the cheaper stuff I am familiar with.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #130
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ministertrav1 View Post
Im selling my Sony C800g clone with Neumann K67 and Custom 8.1 AMI transformer!!!! Same circuit as the C800g including the Vishay capacitor.190V power supply! 6au6 tube from russia. If anybody is interested!!
Also engineered by Chris at BARBARIC AMPLIFICATION! He is a genius! Mic is dead quiet!



https://reverb.com/item/21313901-sony-c800g-clone

Sample :https://soundcloud.com/user-635751624
That is a damn finding sounding C800G clone, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #131
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Testdriving on my own voice with a beat I made, I still keep pushing a ton of high frequencies in the mix (like +15 dB around 12k or so).

Previously I have test driven a Sennheiser Evoludion 945 dynamic microphone and somehow my friends ended up loving the vocals. In comparison the 945 sounds boxy but with some lowfi Charme in my voice. The CM800T sounds so much better and clearer but I am a bit scared one can hear my ****ty voice more clearly
Old 4 weeks ago
  #132
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Testdriving on my own voice with a beat I made, I still keep pushing a ton of high frequencies in the mix (like +15 dB around 12k or so).

Previously I have test driven a Sennheiser Evoludion 945 dynamic microphone and somehow my friends ended up loving the vocals. In comparison the 945 sounds boxy but with some lowfi Charme in my voice. The CM800T sounds so much better and clearer but I am a bit scared one can hear my ****ty voice more clearly

I usually add lots of HF using the air band in the Maag EQ2 or Lufticus. I have them set to 20 or 40K. Sounds natural and not trebly!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #133
Gear Maniac
 

Incoming U47 clone from Advanced Audio. I want this.

https://youtu.be/cIR3ovKKL-w
Old 3 weeks ago
  #134
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Is there a full catalogue of AA mics somewhere? I think that their website only lists their current stock? What’s the exact difference between the CM47 and CM47LE?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #135
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Any stores in London to demo the AA800T? Might bring in my Oktava Mk-319 to shoot against. I know, different class, but still...
Any demo halls?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #136
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Is there a full catalogue of AA mics somewhere? I think that their website only lists their current stock? What’s the exact difference between the CM47 and CM47LE?
Look in the Capsule description:

https://advancedaudio.ca/collections...roducts/cm47ve
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump