The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Coming Soon - Audioscape D-Comp Stereo Limiter
Old 11th May 2019
  #91
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrecording View Post
Bill

Excited for you! I wanted the d comp but way too many knobs for me

Holding out to *hopefully* get a v comp.

Fingers crossed.


Enjoy your new 'toy'! We're all living vicariously through you
Haha, once you get around it, the D is actually super-intuitive to operate. S/C HPF and Attack Controls are the two main guys to deal with. You can almost set everything else up once and kind of leave it that way (aside from I/O perhaps). ;-)

V-COMP! YES! We'll be announcing the OFFICIAL RELEASE Date / Time for these EXTREMELY soon

We are SO CLOSE now! I know there are literally TONS of people waiting to snag a V-Comp (same goes for the D, which we will have more of SOON as well) but hopefully you are able to snag one!

Thank you for your interest, man! Mucho Appreciated!
Old 11th May 2019
  #92
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post
Sucks that some DAWs are better with External HW Inserts than others. For instance, I use Cubase and it does a GREAT job compensating for any latency or weird time-domain related issues. But as always, YMMV...

I think the more you use the D-Comp, the more you'll figure out ways to kind of "get around" this while still attaining the sonic impact you're going for. Almost definitely.

Already happening. I come from that era where parallel anything was virtually nonexistent, so I'm comfortable in how to back off compression to get it to where I want it - or approach it differently.

And generally, that's still the way I work, but Brad has got me spoiled with the Mr Focus and Chroma's and their variable mix/blend for really aggressive stuff - and for me, the D fits well in that genre. I'll get over it and learn better with the D though. I got the EXACT amount of LF that I wanted (I wanted to get rid of a bunch of it) , by adjusting the attack. When I got it right alongside the SC, it was all good to go.

As for the latency thing, PTHDX is flawless on that camp. It's the "inter-sample" (between sample) latency that DAW;s can't compensate for. Just putting hardware on inserts is cake - it's the parallel stuff that CAN (not always) get wonky. I should start working at higher sample rates to alleviate it, but mostly I don't parallel unless the unit has it built in. So....

ALL IS GOOD! I won't complain anymore....

PS - I was speaking with a buddy (Steve) from the Phillipines tonight about your buss comp. He's dying to get one soon. You're making such great stuff!!! Keep up the good work, and make sure you save a V for me!! LOL
Old 11th May 2019
  #93
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's the "inter-sample" (between sample) latency that DAW;s can't compensate for. Just putting hardware on inserts is cake - it's the parallel stuff that CAN (not always) get wonky.
You know, you mentioned this at the other joint and I didn't think it was something I would hear (I can barely hear the air conditioner over the ringing in my ear), but I started running my mono OH drum parallel out to a Harrison 32 EQ for the awesome HPF and a little extra snare body and tom ring to ride under the compressed/EQ'd stereo track and I'll be damned if the whole thing is not just popping a little more before I engage the EQ. (After the EQ it's delicious.)


So, thanks for that lesson!
Old 11th May 2019
  #94
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post

Sucks that some DAWs are better with External HW Inserts than others. For instance, I use Cubase and it does a GREAT job compensating for any latency or weird time-domain related issues. But as always, YMMV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

As for the latency thing, PTHDX is flawless on that camp. It's the "inter-sample" (between sample) latency that DAW;s can't compensate for. Just putting hardware on inserts is cake - it's the parallel stuff that CAN (not always) get wonky. I should start working at higher sample rates to alleviate it, but mostly I don't parallel unless the unit has it built in. So....
I use Protools and Cubase. Cubase 95% of the time because PT Native's delay compensation isn't as good as Cubase's. Actually, Cubase is a bad azz DAW.
anyway...
As an AudioScape OG and NOT having a Dcomp, I'm gonna have to sit by the computer when more are ready
Old 11th May 2019
  #95
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
ALL IS GOOD! I won't complain anymore....

PS - I was speaking with a buddy (Steve) from the Phillipines tonight about your buss comp. He's dying to get one soon. You're making such great stuff!!! Keep up the good work, and make sure you save a V for me!! LOL
GREAT to hear, Bill! I knew you'd sort it out Just a small learning curve, like any gear worth it's salt!

That's AWESOME man! Tell him we should have more in stock in about a week or two! Again, waiting on supplies!! It happens. Gotta smile and take it in stride.

Your enthusiastic comments and kind words always lift us up, drBill!

We ain't stopping any time soon! Knee deep in the development of a few new products while we wait for components to arrive! We have some exciting product(s) under our hats As always, done the AudioScape way. No concessions.

We are SO STOKED with how everything is coming along in AS world. Word of mouth has been huge and it's thanks to people like you (and the many others) who sing our praises any chance they get!

HAHA RE - V-COMP. OK. OK! 10-4 my good sir

drBill for PREZZZZZ!
Old 11th May 2019
  #96
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I use Protools and Cubase. Cubase 95% of the time because PT Native's delay compensation isn't as good as Cubase's. Actually, Cubase is a bad azz DAW.
anyway...
As an AudioScape OG and NOT having a Dcomp, I'm gonna have to sit by the computer when more are ready
Agreed with you here! Been a Cubase user for almost 15 years! Have used them all at one time or another, but Cubase just feels like home.

AudioScape OG's PLEASE STAND UP!!! That's amazing man. We love all of our AS Family, but the OG guys have a certain, special place in our hearts ;-)

Positive Vibes are flyin' about everywhere! We love it!

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
Old 11th May 2019
  #97
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I use Protools and Cubase. Cubase 95% of the time because PT Native's delay compensation isn't as good as Cubase's.
Yeah, I hear folks complain about it, but I've always been on a DSP based system - HDX2 now - and the Delay Compensation is absolutely flawless. But there are occasions when that return trip is less than a sample off (between samples) and it makes things less punchy and potentially phase if you're doing PARALLEL processing in the DAW. I mostly just do inserts without parallel unless the unit has it built in - (like some of the Serpent Comps).
Old 11th May 2019
  #98
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
You know, you mentioned this at the other joint and I didn't think it was something I would hear (I can barely hear the air conditioner over the ringing in my ear), but I started running my mono OH drum parallel out to a Harrison 32 EQ for the awesome HPF and a little extra snare body and tom ring to ride under the compressed/EQ'd stereo track and I'll be damned if the whole thing is not just popping a little more before I engage the EQ. (After the EQ it's delicious.)


So, thanks for that lesson!
Sure, no problem. As you've probably noticed, your DAW corrects down to the sample, but it can't' go smaller than that. That's why the "issue" becomes less obvious and less problematic with higher sample rates - as any amount of potential error is smaller in physical time. The round trip will generally not hit EXACTLY on a sample (as small as that is), and that's where the rub comes in if you want to parallel inside your DAW.

As mentioned, it can result in lack of punch, or phasey, smeary sound.

Recombining in the DAW is (usually) not as time / phase coherent as doing it in the analog world. Some notice it, some don't, some sounds are not as dependent on "perfect" alignment, and some converters at certain sample rates hit very, very close so it's not too much of an issue. It's a moving target on every system. Not all converters convert the round trip in the same amount of time. That's why you'll hear some guys saying it's a non issue, and others complaining.

For guys heavily dependent on the "parallel thing" like M Brauer, it becomes problematic for units without a mix or blend built in. From what I've been able to discern, I believe he has moved on to an Avid work surface off the console, and is using summing boxes to recombine wet and dry signals analog before re-entering the DAW. At least that's what I've been told.

Good luck! If it sounds good, it IS good.
Old 11th May 2019
  #99
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I mostly just do inserts without parallel unless the unit has it built in - (like some of the Serpent Comps).
Same here. I'm not a huge parallel guy in general... Mostly because I almost ALWAYS hear the phasing issues, unless of course the HW (or plug-in), as you mentioned, has it built-in.

Interesting RE: the knowledge drop on "INTER-SAMPLE" delays. Never thought about that but it makes perfect sense, especially working at 44.1 or 48k.

I like how M Brauer seems to be doing it, as you mentioned. Smart
Old 13th May 2019
  #100
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Starting to mix a Delta Blues / Americana style project this morning. Very dirty, very grimy. Using the dComp on DI'd Bass. Wanted it to sound like an amp. First up, bass thru a Silver Bullet on A mode, pushing fairly hard to get some live attitude back. Then thru a Locomotive 286a to put some "tube amp" grind on it. Then thru the D Comp to even things out, and put a little pointed definition back on it.

Perfection. Sounds like a pushed flip top. Dirty, but still sweet. A world away from the DI'd bass sound I was given. Super quick and simple. I'm happy.

The only plugins on this project so far is EchoFarm for some delay. Hardware is bringing the love.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #101
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Starting to mix a Delta Blues / Americana style project this morning. Very dirty, very grimy. Using the dComp on DI'd Bass. Wanted it to sound like an amp. First up, bass thru a Silver Bullet on A mode, pushing fairly hard to get some live attitude back. Then thru a Locomotive 286a to put some "tube amp" grind on it. Then thru the D Comp to even things out, and put a little pointed definition back on it.

Perfection. Sounds like a pushed flip top. Dirty, but still sweet. A world away from the DI'd bass sound I was given. Super quick and simple. I'm happy.

The only plugins on this project so far is EchoFarm for some delay. Hardware is bringing the love.
Dr Bill - you've had the D-Comp for a while now (assuming you still have it)...how is it settling with you? I've considered getting one many times since he announced its release.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #102
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Dr Bill - you've had the D-Comp for a while now (assuming you still have it)...how is it settling with you? I've considered getting one many times since he announced its release.
hey Matt - I'm liking it. It's not as much of a "meat and potato's" type comp for me as an 1176 or 2a/3a. That's not good or bad comment, just a comment. I could probably use it like I use those, but I have those, so I tend to lean into them vs. experimenting. I've been on a project for quite awhile now (about a month) where it's not seeing as much use as it's brother - the V Comp. But both are valuable tools in the tool chest. The D Comp is just a bit more esoteric for my uses. Different, and when it works, it's really great. Honestly, I'm still getting to know it though, so take all this from a preliminary viewpoint.... In 6 months I'll have more cogent thoughts...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #103
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
hey Matt - I'm liking it. It's not as much of a "meat and potato's" type comp for me as an 1176 or 2a/3a. That's not good or bad comment, just a comment. I could probably use it like I use those, but I have those, so I tend to lean into them vs. experimenting. I've been on a project for quite awhile now (about a month) where it's not seeing as much use as it's brother - the V Comp. But both are valuable tools in the tool chest. The D Comp is just a bit more esoteric for my uses. Different, and when it works, it's really great. Honestly, I'm still getting to know it though, so take all this from a preliminary viewpoint.... In 6 months I'll have more cogent thoughts...
Super helpful - thanks for the feedback.

I was already looking to build a Drip Sta Level...now you’ve got me reconsidering...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #104
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Super helpful - thanks for the feedback.

I was already looking to build a Drip Sta Level...now you’ve got me reconsidering...
yeah, the v comp is killer. All the AS gear I've purchased has been outstanding. Pick your flavor and go!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #105
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
yeah, the v comp is killer. All the AS gear I've purchased has been outstanding. Pick your flavor and go!
Which version of the V Comp did you opt for?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #106
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Which version of the V Comp did you opt for?
I've got the 6386 version.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #107
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
yeah, the v comp is killer. All the AS gear I've purchased has been outstanding. Pick your flavor and go!
Thank you!!!!!! Broken record over here but, that's all I've got.

I agree with you though, pick your flavor and go!

Regarding the D-COMP, I know exactly how you feel! It's a piece of gear that the operator really has to spend a good amount of time with (which can really only be done by owning it for several months) to "unlock" all of the different sounds / uses contained within it!

It's certainly not quite as fast as throwing an 1176 or 2A on a vocal, but once you've cracked the D-COMP code, it can be just as fast to dial in, sit back and cheese out!

As always, your comments and sentiments towards our gear is greatly appreciated!

And yes, drBill paid for his AudioScape gear
Old 3 weeks ago
  #108
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post
And yes, drBill paid for his AudioScape gear
hey yeah.....

maybe it's about time those freebies start flowing west,,,,,,,

Old 3 weeks ago
  #109
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
hey yeah.....

maybe it's about time those freebies start flowing west,,,,,,,



You know, Bill, I can't disagree with you there...

I think you would have a great interest in the newest product we are currently prototyping / getting just right.

It falls in line with one of the compressors you mentioned in the post I quoted above; but the BEST part is.... you will NOT have to clear out any extra rack space (provided you have slots available).

That is all I will say on this matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #110
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post


You know, Bill, I can't disagree with you there...

I think you would have a great interest in the newest product we are currently prototyping / getting just right.

It falls in line with one of the compressors you mentioned in the post I quoted above; but the BEST part is.... you will NOT have to clear out any extra rack space (provided you have slots available).

That is all I will say on this matter.
I have only one thing to say on this matter.....

You NEED beta testers. Actually, you only need ONE beta tester.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #111
Gear Nut
 
AudioScape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I have only one thing to say on this matter.....

You NEED beta testers. Actually, you only need ONE beta tester.


We're still a little ways off to having something that's sounding and functioning how we expect it to. We'll check back. Put a pin in it ;-)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump