The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam S2V's or Ax series + sub
Old 29th November 2018
  #1
Adam S2V's or Ax series + sub

Guys I'm looking for a desktop pc speaker setup to be used for music games and movies.

I've been using Hi-Fi speakers for years now and since they aren't tuned for nearfield listening I am looking for studio monitors.

I have found a local Adam audio dealer who has now become my friend and so I would like to narrow my options to Adam's offerings.

I am in love with the S2V's even though I haven't given them a listen as they will arrive at the end of January.

They are quite above my budget of 2-2.5k $ (4k$ a pair) so I will have to save up a lot to get them but that's ok if they are what I'm looking for.

My other option is either an A3x with Sub7 or the A5x with Sub8.

The speakers' backs will be close to a wall and my room is about 25 square meters.

I like to play quite loud at time and value sound quality/musical enjoyment above all other factors (price, size, looks etc.)

What setup would be the most ideal for my requirements?
Old 29th November 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
25 square meters!!! That’s a pretty big room! Wow!! That’s 82 square feet!!! Man you could have four rooms with that space. Seems like you might need some bigger monitors!! At least you shouldn’t have to deal with bass modes with a room that size. Wow. That’s a warehouse!!
Old 30th November 2018
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
25 square meters!!! That’s a pretty big room! Wow!! That’s 82 square feet!!! Man you could have four rooms with that space. Seems like you might need some bigger monitors!! At least you shouldn’t have to deal with bass modes with a room that size. Wow. That’s a warehouse!!
Yeah well I'm lucky to have such a massive bedroom I guess.

So what would be my best option S2V's or A3/5/7/8x's with sub?

Again sound quality is the main concern here...
Old 30th November 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jlaws's Avatar
I'd go with s2v's and maybe get a couple of subs later on down the line. You'll do quite well with those already, and you can upgrade them later if you need more low end whereas you'd be taking a step down in quality going to the a series for a bit more bass now if you went the other route. You can check sub bass with headphones if you feel like you're missing some info.
Old 1st December 2018
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
I'd go with s2v's and maybe get a couple of subs later on down the line. You'll do quite well with those already, and you can upgrade them later if you need more low end whereas you'd be taking a step down in quality going to the a series for a bit more bass now if you went the other route. You can check sub bass with headphones if you feel like you're missing some info.
As I will not be mixing or mastering with these units all I care about is how big a smile they will put on my face when listening to my music.

Not a huge fan of bass just enjoy beter stereo imaging, articulation, detail etc.

Only problem with the S2V's is the price as I can only afford to buy on unit at the moment
Old 1st December 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
25 square meters!!! That’s a pretty big room! Wow!! That’s 82 square feet!!! Man you could have four rooms with that space. Seems like you might need some bigger monitors!! At least you shouldn’t have to deal with bass modes with a room that size. Wow. That’s a warehouse!!
Multiplying by 3.3 is correct for converting metres to feet for distance, but you need to multiply by 10 when calculating area. So, it's 250 square feet - or a room that's 16 feet by 15 feet, which is pretty respectable. (Possibly a good idea to divide the sarcasm by 3.3 to compensate!)
Old 2nd December 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri View Post
Yeah well I'm lucky to have such a massive bedroom I guess.

So what would be my best option S2V's or A3/5/7/8x's with sub?

Again sound quality is the main concern here...
If you’re looking for something for gaming and listening to music, the s2v with sub should be fine. You could also look at the 5 inch dynaudios with sub. I’d suggest something with a 5 inch woofer and a sub. But there are lots of options. Have fun!

Last edited by Slug1; 2nd December 2018 at 01:28 PM..
Old 2nd December 2018
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
If you’re for something for gaming and listening to music, the s2v with sob should be fine. You could also look at the 5 inch dynaudios with sub. I’d suggest something with a 5 inch woofer and a sub. But there are lots of options. Have fun!
I can barely afford the S2V's so getting a sub with them is out of the question. Can always add one in a year or so as the price is quite exorbitant.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri View Post
I can barely afford the S2V's so getting a sub with them is out of the question. Can always add one in a year or so as the price is quite exorbitant.
Yeah they are expensive. The Dynaudio BM6 with sub will be great as well, but far less expensive. For gaming and music they will be great. You might be able to also get Dynaudio sub.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
I recently did a monitor shootout with a friend at his home studio. It’s similar in size to yours, and he has some decent acoustic treatment. We compared the Adam S2V to the Focal Be6 Twins. The Twins were superior in every respect. I was really disappointed with the Adam because I’m a fan of the older S3a’s. The S2v’s exaggerated the bass, yet didn’t have the extension that the twins have. Overall they felt like they had a natural “smiley face EQ” to them. And they also felt somewhat aggressive. The focals sounded more relaxed, natural and had no bumps or dips in the frequency response that caught my ears. They blew the Adam away with their deeper and wider imaging, huge sweet spot and resolution/detail. Maybe check out the Be6 Solo, since the Twins cost $200 more than the Adam.
Old 2nd December 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
25 square meters!!! That’s a pretty big room! Wow!! That’s 82 square feet!!! Man you could have four rooms with that space. Seems like you might need some bigger monitors!! At least you shouldn’t have to deal with bass modes with a room that size. Wow. That’s a warehouse!!
I'm way off topic here, but my jaw dropped when I read that. That's HUGE! And that's your bedroom? WOW!

I was honestly going to recommend the ART RM5's with a subwoofer, but I'm not too sure how close you'll be listening to them - I mean, you did say "nearfield", but those ARTs definitely won't fill a room that size. The thing about the ARTs are they're VESA mountable, of good build quality, stylish, passive radiators, have Bluetooth, and have Reference, HiFi and Theatre EQ modes built-in. And also, they're very affordable for a pair ($500USD).
Old 3rd December 2018
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I'm way off topic here, but my jaw dropped when I read that. That's HUGE! And that's your bedroom? WOW!

I was honestly going to recommend the ART RM5's with a subwoofer, but I'm not too sure how close you'll be listening to them - I mean, you did say "nearfield", but those ARTs definitely won't fill a room that size. The thing about the ARTs are they're VESA mountable, of good build quality, stylish, passive radiators, have Bluetooth, and have Reference, HiFi and Theatre EQ modes built-in. And also, they're very affordable for a pair ($500USD).
Yeah well I do like myself a large bedroom as that's where I spend most of my free time really.

Will be listening from about 1-1.5 meters away as they will be positioned at the edge of my desk (1.6m in length).
Old 3rd December 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri View Post
Yeah well I do like myself a large bedroom as that's where I spend most of my free time really.

Will be listening from about 1-1.5 meters away as they will be positioned at the edge of my desk (1.6m in length).
Okay. Well, you should also consider the ART RM5 as well. There are a few reviews out for them, and they've gotten nothing but praise. There's a thread here about them on GS too, and users generally have good impressions about them.
Old 3rd December 2018
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Okay. Well, you should also consider the ART RM5 as well. There are a few reviews out for them, and they've gotten nothing but praise. There's a thread here about them on GS too, and users generally have good impressions about them.
Thanks for the recommendation but I'd like to stick with ADAM's offerings for reasons previously mentioned.
Old 4th December 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jlaws's Avatar
You won’t be able to get very loud with just one speaker before it distorts. Also, you’ll have trouble with place,ent if you’re trying to listen on them while watching a monitor. your best bet might be getting a set of used a7x then a used sub. If you decide to move up in the next few years to the higher model, at least you won’t get hosed so much on the resale value since you’ll have bought it used.
Old 5th December 2018
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
You won’t be able to get very loud with just one speaker before it distorts. Also, you’ll have trouble with place,ent if you’re trying to listen on them while watching a monitor. your best bet might be getting a set of used a7x then a used sub. If you decide to move up in the next few years to the higher model, at least you won’t get hosed so much on the resale value since you’ll have bought it used.
Who said anything about one speaker? I'm buying a pair of them...
Old 5th December 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

The older S2X can go insanely low and insanely loud already. It was around 20–25 Hz and my guts were churning of how loud it was.

I'd say get S2Vs, you'll likely won't need to go lower, or louder (at least at the correct distance). Who says you won't be able to buy a sub in 10 years' time. In the meantime the S series does literally everything better than the A series.
Old 5th December 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jlaws's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri View Post
As I will not be mixing or mastering with these units all I care about is how big a smile they will put on my face when listening to my music.

Not a huge fan of bass just enjoy beter stereo imaging, articulation, detail etc.

Only problem with the S2V's is the price as I can only afford to buy on unit at the moment
You said you can only afford one unit at the moment? I assumed you meant you'd buy one first then buy another when you had money.
Old 5th December 2018
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
You said you can only afford one unit at the moment? I assumed you meant you'd buy one first then buy another when you had money.
I meant i will save up until I have enough to buy a pair what good would one do me?
Old 8th December 2018
  #20
Guys What kind of XLR cables should I buy to pair up with the S2Vs?

Do I need fancy cables or will mogami gold cables be good enough in terms of sound quality?
Old 8th December 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri View Post
Guys What kind of XLR cables should I buy to pair up with the S2Vs?

Do I need fancy cables or will mogami gold cables be good enough in terms of sound quality?
Lol what are fancy cables if you consider Mogami "good enough"?

You could have a mile of Mogami XLR cable without audible sound degradation on a fully-balanced line-level signal.
Old 8th December 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
paul brown's Avatar
I would only use cables with arrows on indicating the correct direction of signal flow. I have found that if these arrows are printed in a gold colour the resulting sound is more holographic. I found silver arrows resulted in a harshness to the sound that was fatiguing. Obviously, YMMV.
Old 9th December 2018
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Lol what are fancy cables if you consider Mogami "good enough"?

You could have a mile of Mogami XLR cable without audible sound degradation on a fully-balanced line-level signal.
I mean non of that audiofool silver cable BS required
Old 9th December 2018
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
I would only use cables with arrows on indicating the correct direction of signal flow. I have found that if these arrows are printed in a gold colour the resulting sound is more holographic. I found silver arrows resulted in a harshness to the sound that was fatiguing. Obviously, YMMV.
Good one
Old 17th September 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I recently did a monitor shootout with a friend at his home studio. It’s similar in size to yours, and he has some decent acoustic treatment. We compared the Adam S2V to the Focal Be6 Twins. The Twins were superior in every respect. I was really disappointed with the Adam because I’m a fan of the older S3a’s. The S2v’s exaggerated the bass, yet didn’t have the extension that the twins have. Overall they felt like they had a natural “smiley face EQ” to them. And they also felt somewhat aggressive. The focals sounded more relaxed, natural and had no bumps or dips in the frequency response that caught my ears. They blew the Adam away with their deeper and wider imaging, huge sweet spot and resolution/detail. Maybe check out the Be6 Solo, since the Twins cost $200 more than the Adam.
Interesting. As far as I see, most people complain about Twin6's low frequency and recommend a sub6 with it. It is a 6.5" woofer with limited stroke and power after all.
Focal marks Twin6's low frequency to 40Hz. Based on some real test, this will not better than -6dB.
Adam marks S2x/S2v's low frequency to 35Hz. Most people are pretty satisfied with this 7' woofer's performance.
Old 17th September 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLX View Post
Interesting. As far as I see, most people complain about Twin6's low frequency and recommend a sub6 with it. It is a 6.5" woofer with limited stroke and power after all.
Focal marks Twin6's low frequency to 40Hz. Based on some real test, this will not better than -6dB.
Adam marks S2x/S2v's low frequency to 35Hz. Most people are pretty satisfied with this 7' woofer's performance.
There is no standard for measuring any speaker (or microphone for that matter), so published specs should be taken with a grain of salt. This is true of frequency response, wattage, etc.

More power doesn't mean louder either. It doesn't take the efficiency of the drive unit into account. Many four cylinder sports cars can outrun a big trucks with a V8s. You have to account for the mass of the object you're moving.

I've heard many monitors that go lower and louder than their competition, who have better specs on paper. Audition them yourself and make your decisions with your ears, not some arbitrary numbers the manufacturer gave you.
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

anyone compare these to s2x?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump