The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KT-2A Vs WA-2A
Old 20th November 2018
KT-2A Vs WA-2A

I'm in the market for a hardware opto-style compressor and I've narrowed my choices down to the Klark Teknik KT-2A and the Warm Audio WA-2A. From everything I've read about both, it seems there is more unanimous praise for the KT-2A. However, I can't find any direct YouTube comparisons between the two.

Can anybody here who has tried or owned both tell me how they compare sonically? And also which one better achieves that thick LA-2A sound?
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Guru

cheapest price for KT 2A is at Front End Audio with black friday coupon code, comes out to $340 USD
Old 20th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
cheapest price for KT 2A is at Front End Audio with black friday coupon code, comes out to $340 USD
Wow, thanks man! And I was gonna buy it from Sweetwater for $500.
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
Wow, thanks man! And I was gonna buy it from Sweetwater for $500.
Yeah... I think paying "full price" for Midas / KT gear right now is starting to look like a mistake.

I sent my L10 lunchbox back for that reason. I feel like the price is going to come down. I'd rather put $500 into something else right now.

I'm wondering about Front End Audio's KT price, it's already lower than Sweetwater without the sale.

And obviously the Thomann.de prices are really noteworthy
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd rather put $500 into something else right now.
How about Satellite Quad Thunderbolt? Check your PM.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks for this. Was considering the WA-2A on Sweetwater but this is a great deal.
Old 21st November 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby View Post
Thanks for this. Was considering the WA-2A on Sweetwater but this is a great deal.

I just ordered a Kush Tweaker which is known to emulate the 1176 and LA2A but man the KT 1176/eqp/2a combo for $930 sounds noiice, feeling slutty
Old 21st November 2018
KT-2a is โ‚ฌ300 right now on Thomann, probably gonna be around that price soon for US...
Old 21st November 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
KT-2a is โ‚ฌ300 right now on Thomann, probably gonna be around that price soon for US...
Saw that but shows 7 to 8 weeks till in stock and shipping is $34.
Old 22nd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
Saw that but shows 7 to 8 weeks till in stock and shipping is $34.
Yeah but the weird thing is that they are shipping also now? I know someone who recently purchased it and he already has it. I also received my KT76 pretty fast.
Old 22nd November 2018
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
Yeah but the weird thing is that they are shipping also now? I know someone who recently purchased it and he already has it. I also received my KT76 pretty fast.
Wow, that's good to know. Thanks. Did you all get hit with any fees except for the $34 shipping?
Old 22nd November 2018
I live in Europe so shipping was free for me and obviously no fees. There's a few threads about buying from Thomann in the US I think.
Old 27th November 2018
Got my KT-2A yesterday. Haven't had the time to use it yet, but it is beautiful to look at.

Question: Should I let it run overnight to break in the tubes? Or is that just a myth?
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Got my KT-2A yesterday. Haven't had the time to use it yet, but it is beautiful to look at.

Question: Should I let it run overnight to break in the tubes? Or is that just a myth?
Hopefully they've already burned it in at the factory...

but really who knows, it is a standard practice however
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Answer: "Yes"
Old 28th November 2018
I really like the LA3A reissue from GAP - I have a pair - so I went with their LA2A and am very happy with both of those.

My latest track in my sig, "shooting star" runs the analog synth drums thru the LA3A and I am waiting on a track from my ME "strange place" that features the GAP LA2A and KT-1176 on a Moog Voyager bass out of its two channels into different effects ... should have it on my YouTube channel in about a week.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
Wow, that's good to know. Thanks. Did you all get hit with any fees except for the $34 shipping?

Ordered mine on 11/13 and received it yesterday 12/03. Total cost with shipping to California was 318.86.

You'll need a new power cord but the power supply is US/Euro so no problem

Last edited by dgkenney; 6th January 2019 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th December 2018
I used mine this past weekend and I'm happy. Gives me the sound I was going for. However, I didn't break in the tubes cause I'm lazy and it just feels weird to me to leave gear on like that overnight.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Hello,

I have a Kt-2A and i had the Wa-2a.

I paid $800 for the WA and i paid $295 for my KT2A (used from reverb)

The KT sounds just as good as the WA, it would be very difficult to be able to tell them apart in a mix. Both units sound great and do what they were built to do well.

i think for the price the KT can not be beat.

If this product was out at this price point 10 years ago people would have gone crazy.

I would say to get a used unit, save a few hunderd and make music.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

I used to own a WA-2A and I now own a KT-2A. I did NOT compare them head to head. They both have a different color than an LA-2A.

The Warm has some of the tube sheen thing going on but overall is pretty clean, hifi sounding unit and the compression is pretty transparent. I thought it lacked low end. Some might hear interpret that as a tight low end, but regardless because of that I didn't like it much on bass. I compared it the Waves and UAD LA2A plugins and actually preferred the plugins. I think it's good for tracking vocals.

The KT-2A has more color and more low end than the Warm. It's big, fat, and warm sounding. I compared it to the Waves and UAD plugins and liked it better than the plugins. I think it's going to be my go to compressor for tracking bass and vocals.

At less than half the price and coming with a 10 year warranty I feel like the Klark Teknik is a no brainer, unless you're one of the "never Behringer" folks. I'd imagine that the folks at Warm are very nervous about the products that Klark Teknik is putting out. Which one is better is up for debate but which one costs less is not.
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Guru

I would imagine that Warm Audio is doing some serious planning and adjustment right now. I don't see how they could simply continue business as usual.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Are you guys leaving gap in your rack for airflow for the Klark Teknik KT-2A? Be curious to see some pics. I have two and dig them!
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear
I hope warm doesn't adjust to KT standards to sell at the lower price. I haven't tried the 2a versions, but TO ME the wa76 was far better than the KT. Even after the KT had the revive mod. I'd prefer to pay the extra for the cinemag transformers rather than the Chinese alternatives. Maybe with the tube gear it is less important but is preferable to me for their solid state gear. I think having both alternatives with a bit different cost is better than having 2 of the same thing at the same cost.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
I hope warm doesn't adjust to KT standards to sell at the lower price. I haven't tried the 2a versions, but TO ME the wa76 was far better than the KT. Even after the KT had the revive mod. I'd prefer to pay the extra for the cinemag transformers rather than the Chinese alternatives. Maybe with the tube gear it is less important but is preferable to me for their solid state gear. I think having both alternatives with a bit different cost is better than having 2 of the same thing at the same cost.
That may be a story for the 1176

but as far as I can tell the concensus is the KT LA-2A is better than the Warm one, which is what this thread is about

the pultecs I'm not sure which ones come out on top
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

the pultecs I'm not sure which ones come out on top
I have only the Warm 1176 and the KT-2A so I can't compare head to head. I do however have both EQP varieties so I can give you my opinion on those.

I really like the Warm on the mid to highs. A slight sense of clarity over the KT. On the low end I prefer the KT - especially on the boost/cut config. Maybe too much color for some but I like the mass and warmth it brings. Again I find the difference slight but good to have in the palette.

To mix metaphors and mangle an old saying, I wouldn't throw either out of the rack for eating crackers
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Guru

I don't have the Warm, but I agree that the EQP-KT does have a good low end going for it.

The EQP-KT highs are serviceable but not really exceptional in my experience.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
I compared it [Warm WA-2A] to the Waves and UAD LA2A plugins and actually preferred the plugins.

The KT-2A has more color and more low end than the Warm. I compared it to the Waves and UAD plugins and liked it better than the plugins.
Yikes. That's certainly not what Warm wants to see about a new competing product at half the cost. If anything, it should imply that the WA-2A is probably only worth half the cost.

Anyways, you get what you pay for. It's literally impossible for budget clones to come close to the real deal. Such gear is expensive because of what's inside the gear -- not just because of the core style of processing and the faceplate.

An original UTC HA-100[X] transformer used in the original LA2A costs almost as much the the WA-2A. Granted, they aren't available any longer -- but, point made. Iron, tubes, wire and point to point wiring all takes time and money... and it all matters to the overall sound.

Without ever using it, I totally believe that you found Waves/UA's LA-2A to sound better than Warm's WA-2A. 100%.

That said -- I'm very intrigued that you think the KT-2A is better. I am not going to get one, but if that's true -- then that is impressive.
Old 27th March 2019
Could someone give me some tips on using the KT-2A? I'm still kind of a newbie with outboard compressors.

For instance, I understand that with a traditional LA-2A you run the vocals and/or bass with 20db of gain reduction. But the KT-2A, from what I read, has a faster attack and release time than an LA-2A. So would I aim for 3 or 6db of gain reduction then?
Old 27th March 2019
JAT
Lives for gear
And what do you think the price of kt hardware will be once warm and gap and other less expensive manufacturers are driven out of the market.

Behringer will be behringer.

Last edited by JAT; 27th March 2019 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For instance, I understand that with a traditional LA-2A you run the vocals and/or bass with 20db of gain reduction.
Good Lord... where on earth did you hear/read that?
๐Ÿ“ Reply