The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KT-2A Vs WA-2A
Old 24th August 2019
I'd love to hear clips too. Definitely keen to feast my ears on some of that 'fresh' sound.

Old 24th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
Has anybody swapped out the tubes in their KT-2A? I'd like to know if it really made a difference.
Everybody's doing it, don't cha know?

Does it really make a difference?? Ummm...how are we using that word 'really'?

Old 26th September 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Everybody's doing it, don't cha know?

Does it really make a difference?? Ummm...how are we using that word 'really'?

Yeah they do make a difference, but as always, if you want to listen the differences on a 100$ pair of monitors you won’t hear any.
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Addict

No such thing as run “x” amount of gain reduction.
20db is ummm a bunch though..

Listen, Adjust, use less than you think you need.
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

I’m planning to (soon) purchase both the kt2a and wa76. Anything I should know?

I’m not afraid of spending the “full $$”, if that’s what it takes.
Old 17th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDibubba View Post
I’m planning to (soon) purchase both the kt2a and wa76. Anything I should know?

I’m not afraid of spending the “full $$”, if that’s what it takes.
Get the originals then
Old 13th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
Could someone give me some tips on using the KT-2A? I'm still kind of a newbie with outboard compressors.

For instance, I understand that with a traditional LA-2A you run the vocals and/or bass with 20db of gain reduction. But the KT-2A, from what I read, has a faster attack and release time than an LA-2A. So would I aim for 3 or 6db of gain reduction then?
Haha! A guitar that peaks at 10db reduction on my ua-610 sometimes still sounds good and makes it on the record.. 20bd is unlikely....
Old 14th March 2020
I just replaced the opto cell in my kt2a with the black lion one and the low mids are beautiful and full sounding. I'll replace the tubes soon and see if these telefunken tubes are really about it
Old 14th March 2020
How about the medium low mids?
Old 14th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
I just replaced the opto cell in my kt2a with the black lion one and the low mids are beautiful and full sounding. I'll replace the tubes soon and see if these telefunken tubes are really about it
I will be interested to hear your findings on the fully modded KT-2a
Old 14th March 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone having any issues with the meters on the WA-2A? Mine was a DOA eBay purchase that ended up going back to Warm Audio and having the tubes replaced. Seemed to work fine for a while with limited use, but despite calibration attempts, I can't get the meter to budge with a Jazz bass into a Countryman DI > Rane MS1b (clean gain) > WA-2A.

Seems almost inaudible too, with heavy gain reduction, like it's a placebo box at this point. I know the LA2A thing can be subtle, but you'd think set to Limit and cranked Gain Reduction I'd hear something other than subtle tube distortion/harmonics.
Old 14th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdonnal View Post
older engineering is inferior
Starting from this plainly flawed premise, I guess you can sound as smug and self-satisfied as you'd like and still be wrong.
Old 14th March 2020
Quote:
A computer in the 60's cost millions of dollars and was the size of my condo. It also had less than 1/1000th the processing power of my cell phone.
We are not talking about computing tech.

Quote:
It should be fairly obvious that modern Chinese manufacturing can achieve higher quality controls than any other country in the world could 50-100 years ago.
CAN maybe, but that is different from DO.

They DO NOT spend the resources to refine techniques or achieve higher quality, and it's not even close. The entire modern manufacturing model is built on cutting costs. All of your self-satisfied confidence changes nothing about the truth.
Old 14th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The better the Tubes are in the signal (audio processing path anyway) path, the better. I really am interested in your findings. I'll be watching out and keep reading this Thread since I am very much thinking buying one (two actually). There will be improvements and I very much like to read opinions and finds regarding these particular boxes.

Digress: I boght two for 'stereo pair' EQPs and after some time I swapped Tubes. Nice add-on I must say. That's why I find this Thread interesting! Keep us posted. ;-)
Old 17th May 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm looking at replacing the 12ax7 and 12Bh7a in the audio path of the KT-2A too. Are there any considerations needed in terms of biasing or will they be 'plug and play' with tubes of the same type? I've heard the tung-sol 12ax7 can help with the low-end definition, but the 12BH7A is not as easy to get hold of in my area so going to pick up an EHX.

Last edited by joebeesley; 17th May 2020 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 18th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeesley View Post
I'm looking at replacing the 12ax7 and 12Bh7a in the audio path of the KT-2A too. Are there any considerations needed in terms of biasing or will they be 'plug and play' with tubes of the same type? I've heard the tung-sol 12ax7 can help with the low-end definition, but the 12BH7A is not as easy to get hold of in my area so going to pick up an EHX.
I haven't tube swapped yet but I will most definitely.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear
So how did the tube swap go on...
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashjive View Post
So how did the tube swap go on...
Tbh I'd have to do some bypassing as I grabbed a telefunken tube and a 12bh7a and grabbed a heritage audio 1081a channel strip
📝 Reply