The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
With no mixing console, but outboard gear, what are my options with a patchbay
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Head

With no mixing console, but outboard gear, what are my options with a patchbay

So my PatchBay wired Type 1 (Everything Out) and is currently set up as such:

My set up consists of my DAW which can receive 4 inputs through the BAD4 card and can send 8 outputs through the BDA8 to a Burl B16.

Then I have 4 pieces outboard gear connected to the patchbay. I have a 1073 (in 1/out1) and a 1073eq(in2/out2), then 2 channel Tube Tech Mp1a mic preamps (in3-4/out3-4), A pair of Neuman passive EQs (in5-6/out5-6)and a pair of PYE 4080 compressors. (In7-8/out7-8).

And thats for the most part all I have. Connected straight in the back of my patch bay - I do own a variety of other outboard equipment that I can simply plug straight into front to my Burl, which is fine, but I would love a better, or at least another options for this.

I don’t currently own a mixing console, so that (from my understanding) takes away the ability to patch in busses.
I also currently only take up 16 of 48 ins and outs available to me on my patchbay.
Writing a lot of effects or other mic pres I have not already connected is basically an issue of buying/having a lot of very expensive wires made in order to get in them to the back of the patchbay.

I am wondering, however if there are any other options I have? Is there any ‘tricks” of wiring a patch bay where I can split signals without having to have them normaled thru? Is there any way I can run a few effects through EMPTY slots in the patchbay? I guess that doesn’t even really make sense

Does this wiring make sense for my setup? Is there any other way you would do it?

Looking for some friendly advice !

Basic Patchbay setup

OUT: | [1] 1073MicPre | [2]1073EQ | [3-4]TubeTechMP1A | [5-6]NeumanEQ |
—————————————————————————————-——————————
IN: | [1] 1073MicPre | [2] 1073EQ | [3-4]TubeTechMP1A | [5-6]NeumanEQ |

OUT: | [7-8] PYE | [9-16] BurlDAOut(ch 1-8) ||
IN: | [7-8] PYE | [9-12]BurlADIn(ch 1-4) |[13-14]2-ChMixer |[15-16] Stereo Monitors ||

OUT: | [17-48] Nothing
IN: | [17-48] Nothing

For my patchbay I use the Audio Accessories MINI SHORTI Quick-Switch to DB25 WDBP-9615-SH Audio Accessories
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

i've been installing/using almost all patchbays half-normalled, outputs on the top row, inputs on the bottom row: this gives you free split outputs from all the outputs iin the top row yet still sends signals to the bottom row when nothing is patched. it's also the way most any mixing desk with integrated patchbay works: insert send/insert return, direct out/tape in, tape out/tape return, aux send/efx in, efx out/efx return etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search