The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audeze Ldc 2 classic or Sennheiser HD 800
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Nut

Audeze Ldc 2 classic or Sennheiser HD 800

Hi guys,

I'm thinking to buy some good headphones.
I've found a black friday deal: 750$ for audeze lcd-2 classic and 1000$ for hd 800$
Which one would you recommend for mixing?
I mention i will use the headphone amp from Audient ID22.
Maybe the amp from id22 will not be enough for hd800 at 300ohms?...
Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

Bump?
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

I'd get the hd800. I don't have the lcd-2s, but have the lcd-3 and the hd800. The hd800 is way more comfortable (important for long sessions) and more detailed. If you find it a bit shrill, just do one of the mods (they're pretty easy to diy). That's not to say that the audeze are not good. They sound great and can be quite good, depending on what your tastes are.

Really, You can't go wrong with either set of headphones but I think if you're planning to use them as your main mixing reference, the comfort will be very important and the hd800 feel like they're not even there, whereas the audeze youll definitely notice.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks for the reply. I mention i will mix rock and metal.
I have a concern regarding hd800, maybe the headphine amp from my id22 is not strong enough to drive them.
Maybe i should get a good dac with a headphone amp...
I am thinking atBurson conductor V2+ which is about 1250$ or Cambridge Azur 851D which is 1100$
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

You could certainly do that, but then you're spending a lot more on that when you might not need it. I'd say get the hd800 then try it out. If your interface can't drive it, then go and spend on the amp. You won't really need a dac either way because the id22 is pretty good in terms of conversion.

If you want more stuff though, by all means get the amp dac, but you probably won't need it for mixing/making music.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
You could certainly do that, but then you're spending a lot more on that when you might not need it. I'd say get the hd800 then try it out. If your interface can't drive it, then go and spend on the amp. You won't really need a dac either way because the id22 is pretty good in terms of conversion.

If you want more stuff though, by all means get the amp dac, but you probably won't need it for mixing/making music.
Thanks a lot. Well this is the plan then. First the headphones; if i find i am lacking power then i search for a proper amp.
One more question, have you compared hd800 to hd800s? Do they worth the extra price?
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
Thanks a lot. Well this is the plan then. First the headphones; if i find i am lacking power then i search for a proper amp.
One more question, have you compared hd800 to hd800s? Do they worth the extra price?
I haven't compared them directly, but from what I've read they have a similar sound signature with more bass. The problem is that the extra bass is achieved with some more distortion, which may make it more enjoyable, depending on taste, but worse for mixing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search