The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mics and Compressors for a Newscast-type Channel
Old 15th November 2018
Here for the gear

Mics and Compressors for a Newscast-type Channel

Hello,

I'm trying to build a basic video recording studio to do a news show. It will look something like nightly news or the Daily Show, a guy sitting at a desk with pictures above his shoulder. It would be better if there weren't any mics on-screen, unless it's lavaliers.

Currently I have a Rode NT-3 cardioid which I place overhead, going for about 60-90cm away from the speaker. It's working okay, but I think I'd like to bring a 2nd mic into the mix or try something different because the amount of gain I can put into the NT-3 just doesn't quite give a satisfying loud vocal signal that I'm looking for, and I think I can do better by running two mics and possibly mixing them together. I currently just have the NT-3 running dry into an Audient id22, no external preamp or compressor. I place it appropriately based on the cardoid pattern, so it's not a noob problem like not paying attention to the pattern. The only other mic I currently have available is an SM57.

My budget for audio improvement is maybe $400-600.

I thought about getting something like an AKG C214 or Audio-Technica AT2035, maybe with a preamp/compressor, then I would just place it on the desk outside the camera frame. But once again, you'd realistically probably be 50-100cm away from the speaker. It's not podcast work unfortunately. A different preamp or something could maybe boost the signal, however the Audient id22 already has decent XLR preamps. Since it's basically all "talking," I'm not sure a compressor would add much at all, since the volume does not have huge variability.

Also, I've started to wonder if at this price range I shouldn't just go for a high-end lavalier mic. I think that's what they are usually using in TV broadcasting.

Any advice on how to spend my money effectively would be appreciated. I'm just not sure if I should go with another mic similar to what I have (overhead/side/off-screen), go for a lavalier, and whether it's worth toning down the microphone spend in order to buy specialized preamps or compressors.

Last edited by OWimOWe; 15th November 2018 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I would go for some good lavaliers (i like the voice technologies vt500 / 506) and a couple of rodelink-filmmaker kits. they are very affordable and good sounding. transmitter on the bigger side, but no problem in a controlled evoirement. in this case, you can easy mic up some guests and you have a constant sound.

here is a insight from curtis judd about the vt 500: YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search