The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trying to wrap my head around this. Please help!
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear

Trying to wrap my head around this. Please help!

I wish I could wrap my head around this but it seems that I just can’t fully understand this concept, even with the amount of effort that I have put in to find the answer. It might just be that I am over thinking it, which is always a possibility with me, or I am actually right on the verge of enlightenment.

I want to be specific with a scenario. Equipment that may be included as a specific guide: RME digiface usb (adat), Grace Designs M108, Dangerous Music Convert-8 and Dangerous Music AD+ as well as my Dangerous Music Dbox. What I am having difficulty wrapping my head around is with the sensitivity alignments. The M108 has fixed sensitivity of either -20 dbfs (+4dbu) or -14 dbfs (+4dbu). The settings on the Dangerous gear can be changed to either -14, -16 or -18. I don’t want to use the -14 settings because I want the headroom of the 20. I guess my question is what problems will I have using the M108 at -20 and the Dangerous equipment at -18.

Yes I am a novice but I have put in a lot of effort from different sources to get this (+4 dbu/-whatever dbfs) under my thick scull. I see this as the M108 into the DAW – tracking at either -18 or -20 dbfs (RMS) and the analog path going out through the Convert 8 with the setting at -18 then into the Dbox for summing. The output from the Dbox is going to any outboard finally ending at the Dangerous AD+ (-18) back into the DAW.

Am I over thinking or does it matter in this scenario what the m108 setting is because I am actually not going back into that for AD conversion but going into the Dangerous AD+. Is the 2db difference really that much of a factor anyway. Last what affect will all this have on any outboard that may be used in any of the analog path.

I really appreciate any enlightenment on this scenario that anyone can give to this novice to help him understand. I service x-ray and imaging equipment for a living and actually find that easier to wrap my head around than a lot of the things that I have encountered since starting this hobby, especially on the digital side. It seems like there is not a real standard on the digital side that manufactures can use as a real replacement for the +4 dbu (1.228V) or 0 dbu (.775V). It is confusion when you start to connect different equipment.

Thanks
John
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Maniac

If it were me, I'd run everything at +4dBu = -14dBfs. That is how I have my whole rig calibrated and headroom has never been an issue for me.

But, to be honest, I don't think you'll have much issue running the m108 at -20 and everything else at -18. You might have to push the m108 a little hotter to get the signal you want. With lesser gear would this be a problem? Maybe. With the Grace? Probably not.

Couldn't hurt to try it both ways, though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search