The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Will a patchbay act as a heat sink in a rack?
Old 13th November 2018
Will a patchbay act as a heat sink in a rack?

I am a little short of rack space and I was wondering if I could sandwich heat producing units between patchbay units.

Specifically a Metric Halo ULN8 between an ADC 2U patchbay (30cm deep) and a 1U patchbay (12cm deep) without any space between in a upward angled rack.

Or is it all about air flow?

Last edited by bcslaam; 13th November 2018 at 04:40 PM..
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Guru

Couldn't say about the airflow. But you may want to consider what you're mounting your patchbay on top of, because the dangling cables will get in the way.
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Addict
I would say it's all about airflow. Actual heat sinks are very tightly coupled to whatever they are sinking.
Old 13th November 2018
Yep both good points. Given the uln8 a 1/3 space either side and put patchbays together beneath.
Old 13th November 2018
Putting in a patch bay or other non-heat-producing unit would be better than a heat producing one obviously -- and more than a bit depends on the design of the units above and below -- but, for sure, air flow would be better. Don't forget that heat sinks work by coupling to the heat-producing object and then, typically, using air fins to dissipate the transferred heat into the air.
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Most patchbay are not full depth rack units, and if this is the case they will not block the vents on most rack gear. With that said, having patch cables dangling in front of the controls on your rack gear is reason enough to not organize your rack this way.

Just buy another rack and be happy your only problem is “I have too much gear.”
Old 13th November 2018
Ah, but when the wife sees a new rack appear, with just one unit in it, her mind is going to race ahead to the inevitable conclusion that it's only a matter of time...

This is why it's much kinder to the spouse to just lease a building and go whole hog. The kids can pay for their own university...

It's the gearslut slippery slope.

A guy's wondering if he can get away with putting a patch bay between two pieces of rack gear and the next thing you know, he's taking out a second mortgage...
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Ah, but when the wife sees a new rack appear, with just one unit in it, her mind is going to race ahead...
Just like when the husband sees a book of baby names appear.
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Addict

I agree that a patch bay won't work as a heat sink, since it's not coupled to the heat-producing units (and even if it were attached to their outer casings, it wouldn't do much... it'd need to be coupled to the actual components within that generate heat).
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Just tell your wife you are actually saving money by buying another rack, because that way you will not accidentally burn down your studio/house by trying to use a patchbay as a heat sink. Doh!
Old 14th November 2018
ha

as long as we can watch movies in here on the projector then wife is happy
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
Yep both good points. Given the uln8 a 1/3 space either side and put patchbays together beneath.
My ULN8 has sat under my Redco patchbay with a power amp beneath it for 4 years. Cabling's not an issue as most of the ULN8 functions can be controlled via software and my bay is 75% normaled and I at most have 6 or 8 cables hanging from it. I find the DI and HP jacks easy to find.

I live on the wild side.

ETA - the Redco is pretty short.

Last edited by swafford; 14th November 2018 at 02:22 PM..
Old 15th November 2018
500 series nutjob

no way i could see it acting as a heat sink bout would offer some air space. if the ait does not move not sure what could it would be?
and if the air did move if it done what i assume you want, there is no way in HE doule hocky sticks i would want the dangling cables over some othe unit i want in my rack. if it was gear i. did not care about it would be in the rack and there would be no issue anyways.

even as the 500 format slutz i am i can stand gear such as mixer type thingys that rely on cabe hanging out the front panel. thats why i've always said iff you want a mixer design it for it own bucket not the 500 frame.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search