The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Interface
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

Audio Interface

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice for my home studio

I've currently got a Steinberg UR22 interface, which has served me well, and was fine when i was primarily recording with my limited kit - mainly guitar & vocals.

Over time my kit list has grown and i've branched out from just recording guitar+vox.

Basically i want someway of keeping all my kit connected so i can just walk into my studio an play and record instead of keep unconnecting things and connecting the instrument i want to play/record.

What's the best way to do this? - a new interface with more inputs or some other way?

If it's a new interface - any recommendations?

My kit that i want connected is:

1. Guitar
2. Mic
3. Bass
4, Moog Model D
5. Juno 106
6. Roland Boutique Tr08
7. Roland Boutique Tr09
8. Roland Boutique TB03
9. Cyclone TT03

And (old) rackmount and effects pedals to used as external send/returns from my DAW
10. Yamaha SPX90
11. Alesis MidiVerb ii
12. Eventide Space
13. Delay Box

Someone had mentioned a focusrite scarlett 18i20 - which seemed good and a good price --- but then someone else recommended spending more because of latency and quality of pre-amps.... They recommended a RME UFXII.

Any advice -- on the best option on how to do this would be great

Thanks
Old 12th November 2018
Gear Head

One big concern to keep in mind is that you'll either need to spend a lot more money to get a lot more inputs with equal or greater sonic quality or you'll be sacrificing quality for convenience.

Even in the case of your synths that do not require mic preamps and could connect directly to a line input on any audio interface, there is still signal quality to be gained or lost depending on the quality of your interface. Have you ever dialed in a patch on your Model D using headphones plugged straight into the synth, then recorded it into your DAW and listened back to the recording only to find that it sounds dull and more 2-dimensional on playback compared to when you were plugged straight into it?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Why not use a mixer?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search