The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What album, in your opinion, is divinely/perfectly mixed?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Delay lines and modulations are great.. for musicians. For mixers, I'd be extremely sparing with them. They are addictive, and easily lead to overproduction. By the time you got them where you think you want them, you have listened to the track at least several times, and you lose a sense of what the track sounds like to fresh ears. I can't tell you how many times i have heard great live performances cursorily mixed only to hear the crappy overproduced over effected studio version. Seems engineers have too much time and too many toys that they just need to use these days.
Oh sure, it's easy to overcook any mix. I guess that's why the albums in this thread stand out as exemplary is the producers and teams had the best intuition and judgements to dial things back as needed and to push things as far as they needed to go and not too much further.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Oh sure, it's easy to overcook any mix. I guess that's why the albums in this thread stand out as exemplary is the producers and teams had the best intuition and judgements to dial things back as needed and to push things as far as they needed to go and not too much further.
I don't think it's a coincidence that so many of the cited albums were mixed on tape. One thing I have learned from 25 years of playing multiple instruments and mixing and producing over a decade, is that limitation is key. Also not having a screen to mix on is crucial. Visual mixing and OCD tend to take over with the grid, having every tool to choose from on every track. Also taking too long on a mix can like I said make you lose sight of what a mix sounds like to the end listener.

That's why I have been more and more producing using improv, being in the moment not only playing but also when mixing (using 1" 8 track). so I can eliminate some of the impeding factors and just do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that so many of the cited albums were mixed on tape. One thing I have learned from 25 years of playing multiple instruments and mixing and producing over a decade, is that limitation is key. Also not having a screen to mix on is crucial. Visual mixing and OCD tend to take over with the grid, having every tool to choose from on every track. Also taking too long on a mix can like I said make you lose sight of what a mix sounds like to the end listener.

That's why I have been more and more producing using improv, being in the moment not only playing but also when mixing (using 1" 8 track). so I can eliminate some of the impeding factors and just do it.
Yeah absolutely. I think knowing when to stop is a huge thing. And then the other huge thing is having your "workflow" dialed in so deeply that you can get a good sound going almost automatically, with very little input, like a preset workflow or whatever. Thousands of decisions almost automatically made or accounted for.

I was just explaining some small parts of the recording process to some relatively novice friends recently. I guess I take for granted sometimes the years of experience and effort that go into a producer mindset, or workflow, or release schedule. It happens while other people are goofing around or focusing on other parts of life.

It's not really on topic for this particular thread, but I just wanted to put this somewhere. A good friend asks the question, "Does it even matter what different microphones you could use?" And that just sort of takes me right back to the very beginning.

I have been meeting a lot of aspiring producers recently and it's kind of exciting to see people at the beginning of the journey.

On the topic of the thread I think the landmark reference albums are really the gateway drug, as well as the teachers along the way, to a truly inspiring music listening experience. Just a process of de-mystification and technique acquisition.

Music seems like "magic" to people who don't know the process but that's also a sort of goal, to be a magician, or the man behind the curtain.

So yeah, here's to great music.
Old 4 weeks ago
The new Springsteen Western Stars is turning out to be the long awaited sonic journey that I've been missing for some time

Lots of musicians playing
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted be25781
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Tango In The Night sounds great.

I think it would be smart to use some gated reverbs, use some simple digital FX like the UAD Precision Delay/Modulation plugin just get some really simple delay lines and modulations going. Maybe an SSL channel strip on some things with gates and basic VCA compressors.

I did a few tracks like this last year but I forget exactly what I used. I just love that sound though. It's addictive. Just sounds kind of broken in a Motown kind of way, the best possible way to sound distressed or effected. There could probably be a whole thread about people trying to break down the recipe for that sound.
No SSL involved in the making of Tango in the Night, it was recorded on the Trident console at Rumbo Records, and mixed on the Neotek Elite at Lindsey's house. Some tape involved during tracking, mixdown went to Sony digital 2-track. If you wanna get close you better get yourself a Fairlight sampler. Or the emulation. Lindsey also loved the cheaper Lexicon effects like the pcm 42 and the pcm 70 on guitar. Also AMS effects.

Last edited by Deleted be25781; 4 weeks ago at 07:47 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Anything before 1999.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That was by Prince... Right?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be25781 View Post
No SSL involved in the making of Tango in the Night, it was recorded on the Trident console at Rumbo Records, and mixed on the Neotek Elite at Lindsey's house. Some tape involved during tracking, mixdown went to Sony digital 2-track. If you wanna get close you better get yourself a Fairlight sampler. Or the emulation. Lindsey also loved the cheaper Lexicon effects like the pcm 42 and the pcm 70 on guitar. Also AMS effects.
Yeah AMS and Lexicon, Fairlight, that sounds about right. Digital 2 track that sounds right also.

I got the remaster, and the original of Tango In The Night.

I don't like the remaster at all, it's too fat and warm sounding.

The original master is more trebly and thin, crunchy, and I greatly prefer it for this kind of music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Really interesting question..... tempted to just post fav records. Perhaps if the question was posed what are best mixes on records u are not a big fan of. That way u are focusing on mix and not ur love of the music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Really interesting question..... tempted to just post fav records. Perhaps if the question was posed what are best mixes on records u are not a big fan of. That way u are focusing on mix and not ur love of the music.
I got an easy one. Rick Rubin / Ryan Hewitt produced Avett Brothers records.

Everything is pitch perfect, immaculately sculpted, but the music just bores me to tears.

There are really too many to mention though.

A lot of the Massenburg stuff fits this category for me also.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

There's all those amazing-sounding commercial records, mixed by the Gods of Olympus with golden ears. And then....there's those murky weird-sounding records that are technically "wrong" but just have some kind of magic. That's what I'm into these days! Anything by Lee "Scratch" Perry, weird badly-recorded claustrophobic free jazz from the early 60s on labels like ESP and Fontana, ethnographic recordings from 20s through 70s....

Magic is superior to perfection.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
TOTO IV

John Mayer Continuum
TOTO IV - yep, agree! I had forgotten about that. One of my favorite albums. Great tunes, great performances, great arrangements and a great mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Matchbook - Ian Moss.

Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil.

Popular Australian albums/artists, but less known elsewhere these days.

Maybe not as exemplary now as they seemed at the time ('87 and '89), but still both a good listen with respect to the production. For the most part on the decent loungeroom system, just a slight nudge up or down of the Bass-Treble amp tone controls gets them to a happy place, possibly being more down to mastering choices rather than their mixing. Both are excellent albums in other respects.
Old 4 weeks ago
7+1
Lives for gear

a weird one... but I love love the sound of the First Semisonic album.

Last edited by 7+1; 4 weeks ago at 05:31 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
What album, in your opinion, is divinely/perfectly mixed?
Most of the Divinyls albums.

They're great...some would even say....divine?

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space
Tom Petty - Wallflowers
The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse

In addition to the classics already heavily represented here:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Beck - Sea Change
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
NIN - The Downward Spiral
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Old 4 weeks ago
I like how these albums sound :

Helios - Eingya
Melody Gardot - The Absence
Tycho - Dive
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

" The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight"

Most definitely! A superb sounding record, helped by the minimalist and expertly played arrangements. They are always an intelligent band sonically. First Band on the Moon sounds to me like an outrageous attempt to take the lounge pop of their first two albums, and beef it up towards the metal bands they loved. It's really unique, and Lovefool becoming a smash hides how crazy that album is.

I've always loved the sound of Emmerdale as well. Rise and Shine is the definitive indie pop sound to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I’ve noticed on Apple Music they’ve been releasing remastered versions of many of their albums, including Gran Turismo and First Band to the Moon.

These new masters, to my ears, were nice improvements on the previous 90s era mastering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post

Most definitely! A superb sounding record, helped by the minimalist and expertly played arrangements. They are always an intelligent band sonically. First Band on the Moon sounds to me like an outrageous attempt to take the lounge pop of their first two albums, and beef it up towards the metal bands they loved. It's really unique, and Lovefool becoming a smash hides how crazy that album is.

I've always loved the sound of Emmerdale as well. Rise and Shine is the definitive indie pop sound to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If it hasn't been said already, a shout for Leftfield - Leftism.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it has as much to do with the tracking, but put on Quincy Jones “Soul Bossa Nova”...then look at the date of 1962. Yeesh!

Not necessarily my favorite style, but wow, the sound.

Edit: and I mean the whole record, not just the title track.

Last edited by toledo3; 3 weeks ago at 02:49 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post

I was surprised how heavy they were live. I seem to remember the set being more like Black Sabbath than “Love Fool”...opening for Beck, the year of that hit, iirc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Dark Side of the Moon , Mezzanine , Thriller , In Utero , 90125 by Yes , Abbey Road , King for a Day...

All super sounding mixes/albums that give me enjoyment every time I hear them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Anything by Faith No More sits really well.

Quote:
Yup I love a really good eighties mix. To me it's a pivotal sound. A lost aesthetic, the reason I am building the studio that I'm building today.

Call it thin and sculpted indeed bit it's massive. Just massive.

Love the eighties too ! Something about the combination of the technologies at the time gives it an interesting sheen.

Simple Minds 'Sparkle in the Rain' I had on today and it just sounded fantastic and warm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Cor- new Cardigans masters. I have to check them out!

I live in hope they'll make a new record one day. I love everything they've done.

I played in an indie pop band for a while that had a rotating crew of Danish members, and we played Sweden a few times. That was a complete dream come true for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Listened to it several times through now, Bruce Springsteen's latest album 'Western Stars'......He still has that knack of creating huge sonic landscapes, and what a poet he is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

almost everything from MJ!

pure gentle & punch! It sounds even better year by year like old premium vino.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Burt Bacharach Greatest Hits that has his face on the cover and multi color lettering, produced by Phil Ramone...where they re-recorded semi-instrumental versions of the songs, is an amazing recording and mix. Check the instrumental version of Wives and Lovers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just bought "the other" Rhino BB CD that has a selection of the original hits.
Essential listening for me, partly as I'm studying Issac Hayes catalog (similar kind of voice here), partly as they're great records!

Come to think of it, Issac's work (like Shaft!) sounds great too...
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just to switch it up a bit, electronic...

Heimische Gefilde by Dominik Eulberg.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search