The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor controllers Monitor Controllers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Monitor controllers

Hello,

These things are discussed often so a brief-ish reply will be good.

I'm looking at 3 monitor controllers without spending too much !!!

Presnus Monitor Station V2 £250 or less
Mackie Big Knob Studio Plus £250-£300
Drawmer MC 3.1 £775 (reduced!!!)

I can appreciate the Mackie and the Presonus are "budget" offerings but doesn't mean they are cheap - OK compared to a Dangerous Music offering @ £2,000 they are cheap.

Drawmer is a price that is just about OK and the quality should be alot higher than the Mackie and Presonus.

I'd like to know why it is superior and maybe people would quote AD/DA etc....circuit improvments etc.....but an accurate brief explanation may be best.

As it is I need 2 monitor controllers but may add a 3rd like the Drawmer as being higher quality.

Just having functionality is a blessing in itself -
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazz View Post
These things are discussed often so a brief-ish reply will be good.
What impressions did you get from the discussions? Those might help focus your thread a bit more.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
What impressions did you get from the discussions? Those might help focus the discussion.
Discussions were from a while back and found on Google search engine.

Usually when a product is priced more highly it will be ok better quality.

Sometimes there can be a premium placed on a product and the buyer can be paying for the name and the product may not be much better or not by twice the price.

This is what is difficult to tell.

So when I read about monitor controllers that cost £2,000 >>>> £7,000 - that is a lot of money

Finding the sweet spot is important
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

OK, thanks. I took a closer look at your list, and I see you're interested in active units. I've got no experience with those; sorry about that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I use the Coleman Audio SPK5+1 Speaker Switcher. It may be a little over your budget, but you have room to grow as you can have 5 monitors and a sub on and off switch and did I mention, its an awesome unit!!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Check out the McOne Active. Happy with mine.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Check out the McOne Active. Happy with mine.
Hi, Just seen this and again I've never heard of this make - 3 ins/3 outs ++++ - Who makes the McOne? =edit - i found the home page "New Old Sound" - this does look pretty good -

>>>To the guy who suggested Coleman, I've seen the M3PH - Which I could stretch to at some point - I love the green colour.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Monitor Station v2 is bad.

Friend bought one and barely kept it 2 months. Doesn't track stereo channels well (imbalance), LED lights pretty useless for any metering, sound would sometimes be scratchy, and calibrating/trim was a joke for how poor it was.
Convinced him to move to a higher quality controller (much higher price than you are looking) and it's been smooth sailing since and he's been happy. Told him he should have done it the first time but his budget wasn't there when he got the Monitor Station.

You should look for used controllers (the Dangerous ST or one of the Graces -- even the Grace ref headphone amp can function as a controller). They could fall near the Drawmer cost and are much better devices.

In any case, the Presonus is just a bad device. I'd investigate the Drawmer issues before going that route too... especially at that price.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

....to carry on from the end of the last post. I'll probably get a Presonus Monitor Station and a Mackie Big Knob Studio Plus......But keep a look out for some good monitor controllers like....

the Drawmer MC 3.1 & the newly discovered (to me) New Old Sound McOne. I can see the desk top design being desirable to me and form what I've seen mutliple outputs/inputs can be used at the same time where as the Coleman may be switchable.

I speculate that the Drawmer and New Old Sound may develp like the Presonus and the Mackie has eg - have more ins/outs but with better circuits etc.....and effectively offer the same things but at a higher level of "transparency"???

Anyhow thanks for the pointers - keep them coming - and I'll hold off any purchase just to see if I change my mind.

If someone like me is knocking an idea together or experimenting I don't think it matters what make is being used -- If more recording etc...is taking place and the end result is affected by the monitor controller then it does matter ---- just some thoughts so take it EZ ----- -

PS-I think it'd be nice if there was a horse jumping over a hedge instead of the PAC-man character --
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search