The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Faulty Clariphonic?
Old 5 days ago
Faulty Clariphonic?

I've contacted Kush Audio about this via email, but I might need to return the unit so I wanted to get the ball rolling here.

Just received a used Clariphonic (not MS) from a private seller. The unit looks like it is in good condition but there is a strange anomaly:

When set to “Unbal" (switch up) the unit is very flat, however there seems to be a 6dB increase in output. I expect this to compensate for an unbalanced connection. However, when set to “Bal” (switch down) the mid range dips about 14.3dB at around 900Hz. I’ve included a screenshot to illustrate.
The phase response is also quite good and only varies slightly in the "Bal" position.
This is repeatable in both channels.

Please note that this is a proper transfer function and I've calibrated using my interface and converter as a reference. This is the same setup I use to test all of my gear (although I sometimes miss working in a lab with function generators and analyzers...)

Red = Bal
Purple = Unbal
Level compensation added to illustrate effect
Attached Thumbnails
Faulty Clariphonic?-clariphonic-bal-vs-unbal.png  

Last edited by Jeremiah Sheets; 5 days ago at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Added details
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

you've got problems
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
you've got problems
Definitely.
I'm hoping they'll come back with "just resolder this pin to that pin", but I'm probably going to be returning it...

One thing I noticed though was how minor the phase shift was when boosting frequencies. That's mighty impressive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search