The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting that “Classic” Vocal Chain.. on a budget. Condenser Microphones
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Shhh... About the Aphex 107, we don't want the ebay/reverb prices to go up!
Chris
Old 22 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby View Post
That’s a lil disappointing to hear. But it may just have to come to me just buying the hardware through Sweetwater and if I don’t like it I’ll just return it and try the KT-2A otherwise I’ll just stick with a 1073 clone and save up for a CL1B.
Agree as well. The WA2a doesn’t do the same thing as an LA2a. Sounds different enough that you might be disappointed.
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Agree as well. The WA2a doesn’t do the same thing as an LA2a. Sounds different enough that you might be disappointed.
Does this make the WA bad? The SOS review on them acknowledges there’s some difference between the WA2A and LA2A but outright the WA2A is good holding it’s.

This doesn’t help now that Warm is doing a 15% off everything but I do wonder if anyone has experience with the Klark Teknik KT2A and whether it’s an improvement over the Warm.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Essentially what David Bock did (genius that he is!) is take the U87ai "style sound"/K67 capsule as a platform, and then modify the mid-range tone to have less "bite"/smoother tone...

Thus the U195.
(Don't get me wrong, I also regard the U87ai as a modern classic!)

How about the OP gets at least one excellent vocal microphone, get the room sonics under control (if needed)... Then just stay primarily "plugin" after that?
IMHO you can still make excellent records, well within the budget of $3000.

Maybe even sell a lot of records, THEN buy more "stuff"

Chris
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby View Post
Does this make the WA bad? The SOS review on them acknowledges there’s some difference between the WA2A and LA2A but outright the WA2A is good holding it’s.

This doesn’t help now that Warm is doing a 15% off everything but I do wonder if anyone has experience with the Klark Teknik KT2A and whether it’s an improvement over the Warm.
Correct. This doesn’t make the warm sound bad, just different. The problem with these types of threads asking for pro sound on a budget is that Most of the sound will be coming from artist and the guy behind the desk. If The song and the artist and the engineer (and room) are all excellent then chances are the only quality left to improve upon will be the equipment.

Which brings us back to the question: are there any budget chains that sound like the expensive ones?

My experience is that there are many less expensive chains that are professional enough to use at the highest level. The issue is they won’t sound the same as these “holy grail” chains that are mainstays in the bigger and prestigious spots.

My original advice was to buy gear that isn’t trying to overtly copy anything from the past, but still offers excellent sound quality. I am not the biggest fan of the warm audio gear, mainly because for a bit more you could buy something better made without any of the stigma attached.

No one is going to walk into a control room and look at the warm and say “wow! This guy is smart AND frugal! It’s just like the real thing!”

It’s not.

On the other hand, the build quality of the Inward Brute and it’s sound is the real deal. It’s sort of similar to an LA3a but not really. Same with the Chandler 500 series or the MAAG. They are just as good as an LA2a, without all the GS hype. They are around the same price and arguably more professional. Also, chances are the guy you are recording won’t have one in their bedroom studio. People are more likely to pay for services they cannot provide themselves.

The KSM42 mic suggestion comes from experience and having an inside look at Shure’s factory and knowledge of their company ethos. Shure studio mics don’t get a lot of love (exception: KSM32 in the low end forum) around GS, but they make their gear to a very high standard and with an insane amount of R&D, probably more than many other manufacturers combined. That mic hangs with the big names.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search