The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Subwoofer Volume - Real Bass? Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Subwoofer Volume - Real Bass?

I have a pair of Genelec 8030’s which I’m using with a 7040 Subwoofer.

My question is, at what volume is the sub reproducing the exact amount of bass present in the audio being played?

For example, when I switch from my NS-10’s or Mixcubes to the Genelecs+Sub I start hearing a huge amount of bass and sub frecuencies (that’s completely normal I know), but when I have to set the sub’s volume is where I start to doubt.

Please don’t say “set it where it sounds better”, as the more I turn louder the sub, the better, but more hyped it sounds.

When I set it to low, I’m afraid it might be reproducing less bass than the one existing in the audio file being played.

I know studio treatment is very important but this is a theorical question, so let’s supose the monitors and sub are placed in an anechoic chamber.

How do you know how loud you have to set the sub in order to get exactly the real amount of bass frecuencies?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Dynaudio BM6a and a Dynaudio 9s subwoofer for mixing. I keep the volume of the sub so that reference material sounds natural and not overhyped on the low end. The purpose of my sub is for me to be able to hear the low end better to make critical low end adjustments.

I used REW to measure the monitors at the listening position for initial adjustments for sub volume, 50/80/flat selection and best HPF placement (options on the rear of the 9s) and then adjusted further by ear using the reference songs I've used for years in mixing and arrived at the most minimal volume, 50hz and HPF set to 150 as the best settings for my situation. Also placing the sub on an ISOAcoustic stand eliminated the tendency for the sub to bloom when away form the ideal listening position. Took a few days of farting around, thinking about what I was doing and tweaking stuff, but it sounds great. My biggest problem now is I want to crank the bass when mixing because it SOUNDS SO DAMN GOOD!!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My question is, at what volume is the sub reproducing the exact amount of bass present in the audio being played?
The million dallor question and no one can answer it. Why? Because every studio is didderent and it depends on many different varialbes, spme are abvious and soe are not, like the, the type of monitors you have, ware they are placed, how high your ceiling is, the furniture, ware your desk is, the type of floor you have and how many windows you have and what type of curtains you have on your windows and what of course how your room sounds and how it is tuned.

The same exact room will have differeent ways it resonates bass and the other sounds dependng on what is in the room and ware everythnig is set up in the room and of course, how the room is tuned...
You just have to use your ears for this. That is the onyl way. Theere is no set setting for this.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
I have a pair of Genelec 8030’s which I’m using with a 7040 Subwoofer.

For example, when I switch from my NS-10’s or Mixcubes to the Genelecs+Sub I start hearing a huge amount of bass and sub frecuencies (that’s completely normal I know), but when I have to set the sub’s volume is where I start to doubt.

Please don’t say “set it where it sounds better”, as the more I turn louder the sub, the better, but more hyped it sounds.

When I set it to low, I’m afraid it might be reproducing less bass than the one existing in the audio file being played.

I know studio treatment is very important but this is a theorical question, so let’s supose the monitors and sub are placed in an anechoic chamber.

How do you know how loud you have to set the sub in order to get exactly the real amount of bass frecuencies?
I had this problem for years and I couldn't get a straight answer either. I went through calibrating everything and still wasn't sure.

Finally after enough mixing I kinda figured it out.

You want more bass but you don't want louder bass, if that makes sense. Adjust it to where it still sounds about the same volume as it does without the subwoofer except you can hear much lower frequencies.

Then usually it will be about right in a mix. Sometimes I do miss mine being up louder than it is now, especially with stuff with double bass but I finally got used to it. Now it just makes it where I can hear a lot more frequencies rather than the lows dominating the conversation.

I would actually start with the volume on the subwoofer almost all the way down and just slowly move up. When you finally get it up enough that you feel it over power the rest of the frequencies then go back right before it did that. You want to be listening to something where bass would not over power as well. Don't do this with rap music for example.

I usually adjust to a song with a lot of double bass, because I want to be able to FEEL the bass not just hear it. A rap song will have too much sub bass to be able to tell.

Use this song, click your subwoofer on and off during the intro double bass part and hear the difference. Double bass kicks in around 30 seconds: YouTube

I do also use my studio set up as a place to listen to music, watch movies, youtube, etc. So in that case, I set it wherever I want, but usually I leave it as is now as I am used to it.

It sounds too good to watch a movie somewhere else in the house or listen to music on something else. So I use them for everything.

Some people don't like the way listening to music sounds on studio monitors but I got used to it and now prefer it. I was listening to a rock album the other day and it was as if I recorded it because I could really hear the tube amps and what they sounded like, rather than if I had regular speakers.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but if I did, I am to the point that I would set up studio monitors and a sub in the TV room. But I don't watch enough TV or Movies to justify even having a TV.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search