The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MH 2882 or Audient iD22/44? Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
MH 2882 or Audient iD22/44?

Currently, I use an SSL AlphaLink AX with an 8 channel SCA preamp, plus a few others. I bought a 2882 a few years ago when I planned to downsize and move to Mac, but never ended up doing it. Now, with the 3d cards FINALLY out, I could use my interface on Windows, but it's a $500 investment, on top of an interface I already have ~$600 in.

I've been out of touch of the recording industry for a while and have little interest in doing it professionally again, so I really just want to move to a more simplistic, smaller, setup - maybe pocketing a little cash at the end of it all.

The Audient iD22 and 44 have me intrigued, as I like the desktop form-factor with monitor controller. I feel it'd suit my workflow best. However, I still have the 2882 and, if I wanted to record drums, I'd still have to add another A/D converter to the Audient.

I can't seem to find any comparison in conversion between the 2882 and Audient, but I'll guess they're probably similar, since there's been a large gap in years since the 2882 was released. That said, the 2882's pres are mostly useless to me and I'd be forced to keep my SCA pres; I could potentially sell them to offset the Audient cost and probably end up with more money left over, though I assume the preamps won't be nearly as good, still. The 2882 still doesn't give me all the cool monitoring features of the Audient, but I do get DSP, which I'm unsure whether I'd use or not.

As far as channels are concerned, I've never really needed more than 8. Most of my recording will just be 1-2 channels, but I have a full set of mics mounted in my drum set, so I'd still like the option. Recording mostly guitar/bass as DI and reamping later with a 1-2 mic setup. I'll also be recording vocals, likely through an SM7b.

Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
I'm using an iD22 and I think the converters sounds great. The preamps aren't bad, either.
However I'm using it with a Lucid 88192 via Adat to patch in and out to external preamps and compressors. I'm very happy. No bugs that I've noticed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search