The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL EQ's and compressors vs API 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 6 days ago
SSL EQ's and compressors vs API

I am looking at these two company's and it seems like the SSL has a clean pointy sound that it great for some things but you wouldnt want it on everything. If you do, you would need lots' of tape plug ins on your channels and other compressors to calm it down a little.

I am more of a blues/jazz rock guy but I don't want the sound of the 1970's. I do want a more modern sound. I am thinking if I like the SSL sound but I want a little more roundness but not as much as Neve, the API would be the best all around sound for my style. Do you agree? Granted SSL has sweeping EQ's which make them a lot more flexible especially when you want to remove certain freq's.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Hmmm... I don’t know... Between the two, I think you’re right that the API might be more for you. However, I’m thinking something more like Aurora Audio or RND Shelford might be more appropriate.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m pretty sure SSL EQs have been successfully used on all kinds of music including blues and jazz. SSL, API, and Neve all have their own personalities, but they are not music style specific personalities.

If you have to resort to tape plugins or compressors to cover up the effects of your EQs, maybe EQ isn’t the thing you need in the first place. If used judiciously, none of the EQs you mention should require you to cover them up with other processing.
Old 5 days ago
500 series nutjob

API discreat, ( big plus ) sweet punchy and in your face.
moxy, mojo, magic!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Exactly... Not really my choice for Blues/Jazz... Hence my suggestions; as they’re a much more refined-roundness and definitely modern at the same time! They aren’t your papa’s Neves!
Old 5 days ago
Mix and match. You can’t go wrong.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

There is a couple of things to think about in regards to you wanting a less pointy signal. Type of preamp makes a difference, the neve style will lessen the attack transient in a good way compared to others. Next with the SSL vs whatever, depends on which SSL ? I sold my silver face SSL as it was a bit too hard sounding when turned up and I far prefer the black face SSL. Also for the style your doing just dont crank the top end on the eq.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I dunno, I still think it is strange to describe EQs in music style specific terms. I have never run a track for a rock song through a Neve or API EQ and thought, “oh no, that sounds too jazzy or bluesy now” whatever that even means.

I would pick an EQ based on whether I like how it sounds in general on any source, and then focus on more practical features like number of bands, frequency points, Q widths, availability of hi and low pass filters.

I really think the modern emphasis on collecting a bunch of “flavors” of gear including EQs is overblown. What’s next, music artist specific EQs? Maybe an Eric Clapton EQ that automatically shaves off all transients and applies an undefeatable 10 dB boost to your mids whenever you run an electric guitar through it? Lol.
Old 5 days ago
I generally record with Rupert Neve pre's with the silk button on. I also use the Portico compressor and HP Filter on vocals and guitar tracks as well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlecutz View Post
I dunno, I still think it is strange to describe EQs in music style specific terms. I have never run a track for a rock song through a Neve or API EQ and thought, “oh no, that sounds too jazzy or bluesy now” whatever that even means.

I would pick an EQ based on whether I like how it sounds in general on any source, and then focus on more practical features like number of bands, frequency points, Q widths, availability of hi and low pass filters.

I really think the modern emphasis on collecting a bunch of “flavors” of gear including EQs is overblown. What’s next, music artist specific EQs? Maybe an Eric Clapton EQ that automatically shaves off all transients and applies an undefeatable 10 dB boost to your mids whenever you run an electric guitar through it? Lol.
That's about right for me too.

Just do a shootout and pick the one you like.

If you have UAD they have models of all this gear you can get a ballpark idea from.

The only genre I'm really aware of that sort of requires specialized gear might be classical music. Different recording techniques are used as well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I am looking at these two company's and it seems like the SSL has a clean pointy sound that it great for some things but you wouldnt want it on everything. If you do, you would need lots' of tape plug ins on your channels and other compressors to calm it down a little.

I am more of a blues/jazz rock guy but I don't want the sound of the 1970's. I do want a more modern sound. I am thinking if I like the SSL sound but I want a little more roundness but not as much as Neve, the API would be the best all around sound for my style. Do you agree? Granted SSL has sweeping EQ's which make them a lot more flexible especially when you want to remove certain freq's.
API 554 is very similar to SSL EQ in both functionality and sound. It's not as thin sounding as SSL eq but does not have quite the flexibility. As far as classic API eqs like 550 It's tough to beat the 2520 opamp and 2622/2503 transformer mojo.

SSL eq is not a color/mojo EQ. It is more a corrective EQ used at mix time. No one tracks on a SSL out of choice,They do it becasue that's all they have a available. So in other words, in your case, you want a mojo eq for tracking. SSL is not going to give you anything there. Arguably it is going to be counterproductive in that regard. Buy a nice fat color EQ 550a and then use a plugin for corrective purposes (cut, notch, pass). Get a mojo eq that sounds nice on the bells and high shelving. SSL do not work well for these applications. SSL eq are good for high pass, low mid subtraction notch and high cut
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't necessarily agree with that. I think the SSL EQ (plugins in my case) are good for any kind of EQ that you want. I boost on them all the time. I think it's one of the best multi-purpose channel strips out there.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Obviously, I wasn’t saying I pick gear based on genre. But the reality is that API in general is certainly known for being awesomely-agressive; especially the more you push them (that’s what we love about them for rockin’ roll); not that I don’t use them for any particular genre!

When I had my SSL 6048E, there was nothing only-fix-at-mix about it with the “brown” and “black” EQs! And I’d say UAD has got that vibe down pretty-we’ll!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post

When I had my SSL 6048E, there was nothing only-fix-at-mix about it with the “brown” and “black” EQs! And I’d say UAD has got that vibe down pretty-we’ll!
So you are going on record claiming an SSL 6048E EQ sounds as good an API 550? And if you had both E series eq and 550 and need to aggressively boost 3k on a guitar track you would use the SSL??
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

To the first question, yes.

To the second question, I never claimed anything even close to that!

However, I can get an SSL E-channel to get just as aggressive; in a different way of course! The best aggressive-combo is track with API and mix with SSL E... That’s what I did!

By the way, API 560 takes the cake for me if talking boosting that range for aggressive guitar!

The last agressive guitar project I did had 212 and 550 on guitars and mixed on a Neve 8128... That worked out nicely!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search