The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overheads for 1.5k per mic (Peluso P12?) Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Overheads for 1.5k per mic (Peluso P12?)

Hi guys,

I have done some major upgrades in my studio over the past couple of months and have now decided to get some new overheads.
I am looking for an LDC and as I said, it is mainly for overhead purposes and maybe a bit acoustic guitar and vocals. I am planning to get one mic right now and the second one later when I got the money (I really like mono overheads anyway).

I thought my quest for drum overheads was over when I got a pair of Coles 4038, but then I tried them as room mics and well.. now I need new overheads, because those room mics are not going anywhere ;-).

I am planning to spend 1000€-1500€ per mic. The one I was looking at was the Peluso P12, haven't tried it, but I am a big Peluso fan. A friend of mine has a P87 and a 2247 LE and both are incredible mics.

Another possibility is the MA-200 by Mojave which is significantly cheaper, but I heard really good things about it.

Are there any other mics in this price range I should consider? What about the 22-251 or the 22-47 by Peluso? Both in the same price range, but unlike a c12 not really your "classic" overheads.

Looking forward to your ideas.. Thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I've used both the P12s and MA-200s as overheads, as well as another mic you might consider, the Telefunken CU-29.

Of the three, The P12s were my favorite for overheads and piano. Something about it really highlighted all the right parts of both those instruments in a way I haven't been able to replicate with any other mic. The place I'm working now also adores the P12 for choir recording.

The MA-200 is a great mic as well, though. It won almost every vocal shootout i tested it on, including against the other two mentioned. They're definitely no slouch as overheads either, but it's a distinctly different flavor than the P12. It uses a k67 style capsule with a rather modern sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

R88 for sure. Even with Coles as rooms.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
How about two more ribbons? Did you dislike the Coles as overheads?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'd look at the AA CM12se over the Peluso, personally. The AA capsules can handle loud sources better than the Peluso caps.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I really loved the Coles as overheads, but I am now using them as a Blumlein Room pair and it just gives me so much depth.

I really don't want to get any more ribbons at this point, since I am building up a mic locker and I don't own any LDC, yet. I have access to some, but I want a good pair in my collection.

I will definitely take a closer look at the cm12se and the Copperhead, so thanks for the input.

Any opinions on the 22-251 and 22-47 as overheads?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've used the 2247 SE as a mono, or center overhead a few times and it has always given me good results.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihi DDL View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to spend 1000€-1500€ per mic. The one I was looking at was the Peluso P12, haven't tried it, but I am a big Peluso fan. A friend of mine has a P87 and a 2247 LE and both are incredible mics.

Are there any other mics in this price range I should consider?

Looking forward to your ideas.. Thanks a lot!
I owned a P12 and own a 2247 SE. The P12 is a very bright mic and would be too bright for overheads imo. I was in your situation a couple years and bought a pair of Lauten Atlantis 387 mics after getting the files from SoundPure who did a video here. They are very even overhead mics in their normal setting which is what I always used them in. The decay of cymbal crashes was beautiful. They have three polar patterns (I always used cardioid), but they can be adjusted if you want a more or less bright mic. I've got a pair available in the link below. PM me if you'd like to hear sound files of my recordings.

Last edited by Swurveman; 1 week ago at 07:12 PM..
Old 1 week ago
I also like peluso mics although for OHs my favorite is the km84. Gone through quite a few highend mics this last year including u67, u87, 414eb and coles and after some testing i came to the conclusion that the km84 rules haha! The 414eb sounds very nice but im not sure i would want that top end on cymbal bashers.

Especially like the coles /km84 combo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong with these, !!!!

Gefell MT 71S - Vintage King
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Can't go wrong with these, !!!!

Gefell MT 71S - Vintage King
+1 I love my vintage UM70s on OHs. Every Gefell mic I’ve heard sounded awesome.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I did some research on all your recommendations and listened to some sound files and I am torn between the P12 and The MT71s, which is pretty appealing since it is so much cheaper than the P12.. Lets see, I don't wanna rush it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I love a combination of Coles 4038's and Gefell UM70's as overheads/room mics, have a pair of both and use them like this. Mostly um70 as overheads for clarity/sheen and the Coles on rooms for punch and depth, sometimes the other way around.

Never tried the P12 on drums, but I'd imagine they're a bit too bright for my taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you really loved the coles why not getting another pair for OH? Or maybe an AEA R88.. Fantastic ribbon mic.. Great as OH or room..in the end looks like you'll be using all 4 anyway.. And bith mics works on many different sources imho and ime.
And let me add that while these have maybe a sound signature, they work incredibly well on vocals and as any ribbon take eq extremely well.

If you really want nice condensers as OH, that are not too shrill/bright (since you liked the ribbons) I'd suggest looking at:

- Neumann u89 or tlm170 (or 193, these are basically the same mic)
- Sanken CU-55 if you want a nice detailed, open top end without being overly bright
- a pair of used shoeps cmc5 or 6 with mk4.. also great on ac gtrs (on vocals an mk41 might work better)
- AT 4047 is more like a regular ldc, but works great on OH without being harsh

those could be found within your budget or less and will hold their value very well, unlike some other brands mentioned above.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 1 week ago at 05:50 PM.. Reason: added infos

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search