The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio - what's the deal? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
if somebody told you to put down a deposit for a product that is priced very attractively, but you will have to wait at least 12 to 18 months, you would not buy that product. you are likely going to look somewhere else for a similar products that are readily available, and most of us would think and act that way.
Yet pretty much everyone knows that these are the waiting times for Stam Audio products, and still people buy them. So not everyone thinks that way. Building up a rig with nice gear is a long and expensive process anyways, so some people prefer to make it a little cheaper while waiting a little longer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
It's standard operating procedure for Stam not to acknowledge orders. Their position is your paypal receipt doubles as your Stam receipt.

You may (or may not) receive an update on order fulfillment progress if the promised fulfillment date is missed. You may (or may not) receive a reply if you enquire about it. After receiving a final invoice, the item may (or may not) actually be ready for shipment, then you may (or may not) get a tracking number and then the item may (or may not) actually ship. The situation is fluid. It's a different business model based on placating people through heavily discounted pricing and quality builds. You may (or may not) find that acceptable.

When I was a customer, Stam seemed to primarily use the Stam user Facebook page to let people know about missed deadlines. Regardless, be assured it's "shipping next week."
Thanks swafford, It does seem that this is the way they work but I would have thought they would of got back to me on the transformer mods I inquired about as you can't sellect these as they process your order.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Don't think Paypal will cover the deposit.

From their website:

..3.4 Single payment

You must have made the complete purchase price payment from one registered PayPal Account by means of a single payment (no installments, no down payments, no deposits, no deferred payments)......

The deposit on the stamchild is $500.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi all:
I received mine after like a year.
I never minded the long wait, since having a business degree in my other life, taught me that with that business model of Stam, it will be like that.
The guy made the stuff that rival the real thing for one seventh of the cost of the real thing.
So in my mind, I salute him for doing it for us, the music community.
And knowing how businesses operate, I also know that Stam is not making a whole lot of money. Not at all.
I ordered from Stam again, a StamChild, and I know that if I am lucky, I will receive it in the summer of next year.
And it is OK with me, since paying only less than $2500 for a legendary piece like that, it will be worth the wait.
My SA4000s that I received from Stam are heavy as a brick, meaning good power supply inside, and the sound is heck of nice.
dan
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldreads View Post
Long story short, this is sadly the same old story. I ordered 2 pieces from Stam Audio. One, over a year ago, and another at the beginning of this year. I check in with them every couple weeks, and every time, it's the same story. "Those are going to be shipping in the next two weeks!", "Those will ship out any day now!", and then there's nothing else, until I check in again.

I've been incredibly patient (probably my mistake for not being more demanding), and I really don't know what else to do.

I'm hoping someone that has had success in receiving gear from them can help me figure out how to get the gear that I ordered forever ago. I realize that I could probably just request a refund, but I really would like to get this gear. I just had no idea this would be such a frustratingly long saga when I made the decision to order them.

I guess I should've known better...
At the very least, they've lied to you many times when they said it would be ready in two weeks. So, realistically, it makes no sense for you to believe them when you contact them again and they tell you two weeks. And it appears as though your calls/contacts every two weeks aren't speeding the process up.

And also, it brings up the question "Why don't they just tell people it's going to be a year?" Are they afraid they would lose all their business? Me thinks many people would drop out, which would have the effect of shortening the lead time given a constant production output. But not everyone would. Their sales would be the same and they'd have mostly satisfied customers.

Or maybe demand is so high for their products that they can get away with not giving a f**k.
Old 1 week ago
I have a friend who waited like 8 months on his product. The worst part is that they said it was ready to ship like 2-3times during that period. Not being able to calculate how long it will take is just so bad. They've been in business for a while and should know how many units of X they'll make a week. Simple righr!?

Edit.. He actually canceled his order. Ordered in April, stam initially said delivery in May. Canceled in November. Wow...

Last edited by crille_mannen; 1 week ago at 10:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi all:
I never minded the long wait, since having a business degree in my other life, taught me that with that business model of Stam, it will be like that.
The guy made the stuff that rival the real thing for one seventh of the cost of the real thing.
So in my mind, I salute him for doing it for us, the music community.
And knowing how businesses operate, I also know that Stam is not making a whole lot of money. Not at all.
I ordered from Stam again, a StamChild, and I know that if I am lucky, I will receive it in the summer of next year.
And it is OK with me, since paying only less than $2500 for a legendary piece like that, it will be worth the wait.
My SA4000s that I received from Stam are heavy as a brick, meaning good power supply inside, and the sound is heck of nice.
dan
Your business degree taught you that Stam's business model of never meeting self imposed deadlines, continued obfuscation of order fulfillment, inability to set up a consistent customer response system, and taking full payment on orders and then not shipping product is the same thing as putting a down payment on product and waiting a long time? Because my Fine Art degree and 35 years of self-employment in businesses that rely on customer satisfaction to sustain themselves suggest that the sum of these business activities is not equal to a simple strain on patience.

Last edited by swafford; 1 week ago at 11:06 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Or maybe demand is so high for their products that they can get away with not giving a f**k.
Bingo!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I have a friend who waited like 8 months on his product. The worst part is that they said it was ready to ship like 2-3times during that period. Not being able to calculate how long it will take is just so bad. They've been in business for a while and should know how many units of X they'll make a week. Simple righr!?

Edit.. He actually canceled his order. Ordered in April, stam initially said delivery in May. Canceled in November. Wow...
Others are mentioning business models.
So this is my take on the economics, taken from Stam's posts around GS and other sites.

1. If people moan about the ever increasing turnaround times they are simply offered their deposit back.
2. That deposit is already spent.
3. To maintain cash-flow products need to get to an end user (unless Stam is very rich).
4. Full payment is being taken and products are not being dispatched which kind of addresses point 3 and perhaps 2.
5. Paypal will not protect deposits.
6. There is only 1 Stam (as far as I know).
7. The product is generally very good which some feel mitigates the above.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Others are mentioning business models.
So this is my take on the economics, taken from Stam's posts around GS and other sites.

1. If people moan about the ever increasing turnaround times they are simply offered their deposit back.
2. That deposit is already spent.
3. To maintain cash-flow products need to get to an end user (unless Stam is very rich).
4. Full payment is being taken and products are not being dispatched which kind of addresses point 3 and perhaps 2.
5. Paypal will not protect deposits.
6. There is only 1 Stam (as far as I know).
My point was more about that they should have developed a business model by now so that they know how many items they are able to produce each and every week. Then they would be able to give somewhat reliable delivery dates, which they seem to systematically fail at time and time again.

And if they are almost a year behind on back orders why the hell do they keep on releasing product after product. It's like asking for a disaster to happen, which to me already happened.
Old 1 week ago
500 series nutjob

I can understand some upset shipping date on a new product under development but at some point thing should be running smooth. In Stams case that does not seem to be so.

I why I look at it is this.
If you are using someone else's money, rather a customer, investor, or bank, there is a cost.
The customer get the product at a better price.
The investors reap's a percentage and make is nit.
The bank wants payments and interest on the note.

Interest is not that high these dat, so Stam could barrow build and pass the interest on to the customer. Adding maybe 20% to the cost.

I would rather pay more and be done.

If he cannot barrow money from the bank, I am not giving him any.

Sad because I wanted one of these but wanted to she how well it went for others and I am glad I did.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Please let me know when you find a fairchild clone for under 10k and ill jump on it and retract my statement.
Yeah, in fairness the Stamchild appears to be their only distinguishing product right now whereas everything else is standard clone fare. Still $2700 is a real chunk of change that could go towards a number of vari-mu or tube compressor options that could be in one's hands in 2 days.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IMHO it would help Joshua to have an advisor/business partner, ala the TV show "The Profit".

I like Joshua, and trust his word. Including "eventually" he'll make good on all orders.

But...

Personally I don't have this kind of patience.
Until things turn around, I'd only buy used if I wanted "anything Stam".

Heck, I have the greatest respect for the late/great
microphone genius, Stephen Paul
-but I wouldn't have had the patience to wait 1+ years for his mods either!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Your business degree taught you that Stam's business model of never meeting self imposed deadlines, continued obfuscation of order fulfillment, inability to set up a consistent customer response system, and taking full payment on orders and then not shipping product is the same thing as putting a down payment on product and waiting a long time? Because my Fine Art degree and 35 years of self-employment in businesses that rely on customer satisfaction to sustain themselves suggest that the sum of these business activities is not equal to a simple strain on patience.
Hey, I am really and truly sorry to hear that you SAID that you have PAID for the item and have not received it.

BUT, I can't be on your side until you show us with a picture of your full payment on PayPal to Stam.

Stam has been very good at issuing out refunds to customers who don't want to receive their products anymore.

Please be cool and copasetic about this whole thing since we are all musicians, and musicians are mostly copasetic.

For you to come here and complain and use harsh words about Stam without any proof is kind of unfair for Stam.

But if you really paid for it and did not receive it, then I really FEEL for you.

Please don't think that I am blindly on Stam side. I am just a customer, just like you. If you are right, I will call Stam myself.

Cheers.

dan
Old 6 days ago
Here's my little history w/Stam:

First order: SA2A - deposit, takes forever (like a year) -> full payment paid, receive tracking number in a few days, soon announces SA2A MkII.

2nd Order: 1073 - deposit, takes forever, full payment paid, receive tracking number in a few days, announces 1073 MkII w/EQ. Item received w/sub par QC (cardboard shim, upside down button) See attached.

3rd Order: S-87: deposit, paid, quick turnaround = happy camper

4th Order: SA-76 Blue Stripe: deposit, takes forever, full payment paid, sits on my money for almost 2 months before receive tracking number, announces SA-76 MkII.

Between sitting on full payments w/out shipping and announcing a new version by the time you get the one you ordered, it's quite disappointing. It's a shame because the products are great for the money. I really wished they would've gotten their sheet together by now, but it seems it's only getting worse.

pan60 hit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio - what's the deal?-1073inside-1.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
w/sub par QC (cardboard shim, upside down button) See attached.
That's crazy.

Quote:
announcing a new version by the time you get the one you ordered
That would aggravate and frustrate me to no end. And you can't even complain or return it for the new version because even if he accepted it, you'd have to wait a year, minimum probably.

I know people love to champion the underdog and there's probably plenty of people here thinking, "Give him a break, it's a one man operation" but the fact is that there's plenty of one man operations that don't operate like this. To accept this as normal is not right.

I'm not trying to dogpile on the guy, but for example, I've ordered stuff from Buzz Audio with no issues. Yes, I know they don't make clones but it's still a one man operation - it's still Tim Farrant in a workshop. I usually want mods done to my stuff so I just contact him directly and I'll tell him what I'm looking for in a piece of his gear, from simple (different colored lights for the metering) to more complex (change the output from transformer to electrically balanced).

I generally get an email back in under 24 hours with a price quote. I pay the quote and get a standard, "Might take 2 weeks to build due to custom mods" and usually get a shipping notice in about 5 days instead.

I don't have anything to do with Buzz, I'm just using them as an example that not all gear builds with one man operations have to turn into year long drama with unanswered emails and bad QC.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all:
What business model ever has had the motto to over promise and under deliver? Stam created its own problems. It didn't have to be this way, but it is what it is.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
In Repromissione Sub Libera?
fail .... ......

--------------------------------------
The trenches have vanished long under the plough
No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now
Bogle.
Old 6 days ago
Stam Audio is the hot chick that you really want but cant get. Almost evil in how she lures you in...and plays with your heart.
Any self-respect you had for yourself, immediately turns into a bowl of jelly... given her price-point and quality.

When she puts out, its pretty good, I'm not gonna lie.....but its the unobtainable factor, repeatingly broken promises and cheating with other customers before you, that makes the lust for Stam grow deeper.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
What business model ever has had the motto to over promise and under deliver? Stam created its own problems. It didn't have to be this way, but it is what it is.
Really, I just try to point out that to make a product or a whole bunch of products at that price point is REALLY difficult.
I have received their products and what I am trying to say is that the products are of very high quality, with very good power supply.
You can dislike Stam for all you want, but have some compassion.
He is trying to do something that is quite extraordinay.
For those who don't like his business model, then don't buy or if you have put a down a deposit, then ask for a refund. They are very decent about refunds.
dan
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

My SA4000 came pretty quick, like a month after promised. My SA2A was just a bit later.

My SA-47F took forever and I had a lot of emails going back and forth with them. When it arrived, I was just not quite as "WOW'ed" as I was hoping to be. It is a nice mic and will be used.

All in all, I like the 4000 and the SA2A so much I would still consider myself a fan.

The pricing on all of my items was incredible. In the future I would likely still consider them for rackmount gear, but probably not for mics.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I also unfortunately fell victim to STAM with an endless string of postponed shipments. I then cancelled and it took the better part of a year to get my money back.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician View Post
I also unfortunately fell victim to STAM with an endless string of postponed shipments. I then cancelled and it took the better part of a year to get my money back.
Approximately how long ago did this take place? Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Stam Stam

I really got pissed when shortly after receiving my SA4000 the MK2 was announced a few weeks later.

Especially since no discounts or upgrades are available for existing owners.

Stam will do their thing for a while, maybe some years but eventually they may fizzle out and it may be a game of musical chairs where some of the people at the end of the line lose their payments and deposits when stam inevitably goes out of business.

THis somewhat reminds me of Abe Chapman of AC Sound. Another young ambitious guy who could make good gear but couldn't run a business.

As far as I can tell there are at least 1 or 2 other people besides Joshua involved with Stam. As a business owner myself I can say for sure this is no way to run a business.

Ultimately stam will either need to raise their price to lower their demand or eventually their hype will fade. At this point if another company came in and matched stams gear quality and prices they could usurp stam, if warm audio could get a bit better at product development and marketing they would be poised to totally crush stam.

There must be someone out there watching and thinking "hey i could do what they do but with better customer service". I would even consider investing in a company that wanted to compete with stam on that basis.

remember black lion audio? they were all the rage on gearslutz 10 years ago but who talks about them now? Stam Audio is the black lion audio of this decade.

This is why I prefer to give my business to companies like Handsome Audio who are making new innovative products, not clones, and who are slowly building and growing like a normal business. Maybe they do things differently in chile. I had a chilean girlfriend once. She was...different.

Last edited by boneshowell; 5 days ago at 09:27 AM..
Old 5 days ago
IBE
Gear Addict
Joshua is normally fast to any threads pertaining to Stam Audio's reputation. No chiming in here. That's weird.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I ordered a SA47 just over a month ago because it was "In Stock". I wonder how long my wait will be.
I really like my SA4000. Purchased on Reverb, got it in a few days. Used is the way to go with Stam gear.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviated View Post
I ordered a SA47 just over a month ago because it was "In Stock". I wonder how long my wait will be.
I really like my SA4000. Purchased on Reverb, got it in a few days. Used is the way to go with Stam gear.
A month to ship an in stock item.
Makes you wonder whether they are being listed as "in stock" to reel more people in.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
My experience with a Stam "In Stock" item was as follows: Ordered an SA-47F - paid in full via Pay Pal on October 4th, 2018. The mic arrived at my house on October 12th.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really, I just try to point out that to make a product or a whole bunch of products at that price point is REALLY difficult.
I have received their products and what I am trying to say is that the products are of very high quality, with very good power supply.
You can dislike Stam for all you want, but have some compassion.
He is trying to do something that is quite extraordinay.
For those who don't like his business model, then don't buy or if you have put a down a deposit, then ask for a refund. They are very decent about refunds.
dan
I don't dislike Stam and I do have compassion. Still, it is pretty basic business practice to under promise and over deliver. If they had done that they wouldn't be having this problem. You keep suggesting that their business model is to over promise and under deliver, and if people don't like it, ask for a refund. But there's a cost of money being tied up in this situation, which Stam should have been cognizant of. I think this is a fairly basic case study of what not to do as a start up business. I hope Stam learns from it and lands on its feet.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Honestly...I have offered several times to just build my units myself if they give me the parts and schematic. I wish they would let me. I know I'd very much enjoy making my own units and I feel like selling kits would be a good business model for Stam.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search