The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do you allow people by themselves?
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Insuring gear tends to be very expensive in my experience. You have to have liability if you are doing legit business. Even your "best friends" might sue you if something bad happens, or they claim so. If you have enough cash you can "carry your own paper" but if you have enough money for that you would probably not be booking singer/songwriter/self producer types .
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Addict
The is too hilarious. I have no comment, no words ....other than to say ...this is just too hilarious.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Guru

I've only lost one item to theft in my whole life.

It was a Nord Electro 2 keyboard I co-bought with a bandmate. He allowed people to freely come and go in his home. For "rehearsal."

The Nord and a few other items freely went out of the house with a person who was also never heard from again.

I was a little burned about it. I felt like it was a lesson that should not have been learned. Some people have good intentions to a fault. I believe the term Pollyanna is referring to that. I later got a Marshall 1960A from the friend so now I feel the debt has been equaled.
Old 10th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
It seems that there is a trend where artists are moving in the direction of using their own engineer(s). So your model may be a good one.

My concern would be damage to the gear and the facility. I guess it would be a matter of having a contract along with a returnable deposit in the event that there is damage? Kind of like how car or vacation rentals are done. Of course this might scare people away, I don't know.

This is just me thinking out loud. I don't have a huge studio, its mainly a singer/songwriter setup in my home. For obvious reasons I would not allow people run of my house without being there myself. For a "Pro" facility on the other hand, I can certainly see the value of renting it out. Especially if you are a one man shop, have another job, don't have the budget for an assistant, or don't like the idea of being in the studio 24/7. Please keep us posted.
Trend? It’s called the “commercial studio” model, and it’s existed for as long as there have been freelance engineers. The “new” thing is the model of having private studios good enough to make pro level records, and that’s only existed for as long as daws have enabled it!

The idea of letting someone into a home studio or production room as if it was a commercial space is things coming full circle. Of course, the problem is now that the space is not set up to facilitate this. So - you take a risk, or you hire an assistant (or assist yourself - which is possibly not financially worthwhile).
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Trend? It’s called the “commercial studio” model, and it’s existed for as long as there have been freelance engineers. The “new” thing is the model of having private studios good enough to make pro level records, and that’s only existed for as long as daws have enabled it!

The idea of letting someone into a home studio or production room as if it was a commercial space is things coming full circle. Of course, the problem is now that the space is not set up to facilitate this. So - you take a risk, or you hire an assistant (or assist yourself - which is possibly not financially worthwhile).
I was speaking in the context of personal/private studios.
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear
Only if they had a fat wallet and plenty of insurance. Especially if they're sent by a label with label money.

Who am I kidding? I produce music in my underwear.
Old 12th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I was speaking in the context of personal/private studios.
Right. Generally a bad idea I’d think - because it’s not set up to work like that, legally you’re possibly not covered (especially a “home” studio) and there’s all manner of personal risk.

I’d only do this with people I knew - and never really with a home setup.
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear

I might just make an exception if she looked like Nicole Kidman, or Selma Hayek! Chris
Old 12th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I might just make an exception if she looked like Nicole Kidman, or Selma Hayek! Chris
the question is letting people in "by themselves". It is not very much fun for you to have a beautiful actress in your studio, if you are not there.

You leave a key under the mat, and if you are lucky, maybe you can smell their perfume in the control room when you get back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search