The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First trip to L.A., leaving tomorrow!
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
It's not so much for GTR.

It's that I'm getting sick of the ignorance on this thread.

Know what I'm saying ?

Yes. Though I talked a little trash about the valley, I did it in all good fun because I go there to shop, eat, etc. and it is still a part of LA- the greatest f-ing city in the world.

And you are right-- this thread is about how to enjoy LA for a newby, not to trash it.

All the folks talking trash about LA are most likely people who talk trash about everything else. Who wants em?

You know, Negative Nancys like CorkyFart in most cases will have a ****ty time living anywhere especially when they still live in their parents basement past the age of 40, like CorkyFart.

WIth that being said,

Best Guitar Shop in LA -- Truetone Music, in Santa Monica
Best Bass Shop in LA -- The Bass Exchange in Sherman Oaks
Best Lebanese food in LA -- Marouche on Santa Monica blvd, east of Hollywood.
Best Ethiopian food in LA -- Rosalinds on Fairfax
Best Chicken and Waffles in LA -- Roscoes
Best Breakfast food in LA - Toast on 3rd St.
Best Pizza in LA -- Pizzeria Mozza
Best Cheap Italian -- Alejos in Marina Del Rey
Best People in LA -- the ones who are not bitchinhg about LA

I love LA.... the weather has been KILLER this past week.
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Best People in LA -- the ones who are not bitching about LA
And there you have it.
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
been living here for over half a year now. lotsa thanks to GS'ers providing good tips. Picksail's recommendations are spot on with food. i'll also add LaLa's on Melrose, great steak! ...and the $15 all you can eat Korean BBQ is all-world (helps to have a Korean gf!)
We should hook-up for dinner sometime. Don't we live within a block of each other?
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

sure man, i'm right around the Von's @ Pico/Fairfax. when's good for you?
Old 17th May 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

PM each other you freakin homos .........

Love is in the air ..... da da da da da da .......

LOL !!!!!

Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
PM each other you freakin homos .........

Love is in the air ..... da da da da da da .......
LMFAO Hahahahaha

Very funny.
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
sure man, i'm right around the Von's @ Pico/Fairfax. when's good for you?
Geez man. All this time. You are literally right across the street.

Let me see how my schedule is after the weekend.
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Nut

LA is dirty, but fine. Crime really isn't any worse than any other major city I've lived in (and I've lived in a few...Phoenix was worse.) Hell, most cops won't even stop you unless you've either pulled a gun or decided to drive the rock way on the 101.

Go to Spaceland in Silverlake, hit Venice Beach or Santa Monica Peer, cruise through Burbank just to say you passed all the major studios and you're done.

Seriously, though. LA Weekly. That'll fill in the rest, on any budget. I'd offer to chill with ya if I wasn't working all through next week. Maybe next time!

Oh, and take anything you can from the Logic thing. I got certified a couple years ago, and though I got good at using the program, I haven't had access to it since. Hope Logic 8 finally irons out the quirks and makes it a contender again. Composers dream.

-Zen
Old 17th May 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
That's the Savadora MS 13 gang, the most vicious gang in the US and El Salvador.
They are known for dismembering their victims with machetes. Sort of like those nice fellows in Iraq. No worries, they are now in every major US city now.

The LADP could pick them up for no more than being a member of an established street gang, there is a statute for that. Then they could turn the 60% of them over to ICE that are illegal and deport them. The rest could be tried under the RICO statutes and imprisoned, but they are left alone to prey on people, mostly other illegals. Fear of retaliation is what keeps many of these victims quiet, thus the drop in reported crimes.

Unfortunately, LA is a "sanctuary city" due to special order 40 imposed by former police chief Darrel Gates in 1979. LAPD officers are forbidden to even ask about immigration status, much less call the Feds.

It's called anarchy.

Do come down to the San Diego area, much nicer, safer and cleaner. I did.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I live and work in LA too, alot of good and alot of bad here, I suppose it's that way everywhere. The entertainment industry nauseates me. My wife is from El Salvador. She and what's left of her family are some of the finest people I've ever known and the U.S. is lucky to have people like this. See, yer boy Ronny Reagan and his paranoid wing of the Republican party felt an overwhelming need to go down and meddle with her country using massive $ and troops to back a brutal regime that slaughtered a good portion of her family and friends and destroyed the country. She grew up with literally nothing, like a no food to eat kind of nothing . And you think L.A. is anarchy? **** goes both ways dude.
Old 17th May 2007
Gear Head

Yes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
I live and work in LA too, alot of good and alot of bad here, I suppose it's that way everywhere. The entertainment industry nauseates me. My wife is from El Salvador. She and what's left of her family are some of the finest people I've ever known and the U.S. is lucky to have people like this. See, yer boy Ronny Reagan and his paranoid wing of the Republican party felt an overwhelming need to go down and meddle with her country using massive $ and troops to back a brutal regime that slaughtered a good portion of her family and friends and destroyed the country. She grew up with literally nothing, like a no food to eat kind of nothing . And you think L.A. is anarchy? **** goes both ways dude.
Right on . Well said .
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Bump For gm5k's Visit

bump!

im gonna be in LA from the 25th to the 1st. so far the only set plans are to see Dream Theater on the 27th. any other ideas?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search