The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me solve this speaker distortion issue Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Help me solve this speaker distortion issue

I've been composing with some piano libraries lately, trying to achieve a very dark sound. I noticed that every time I would play the dark piano, no matter the library, I would hear some slight distortion, which I have never noticed before.
There is no distortion when listening to other music, both soft and loud, everything sounds like it always has to me. Also, with headphones I notice no distortion anywhere.
I hear the same slight distortion in a piece like this: YouTube
But not in a pice like this when the sub synth hits: YouTube
The latter I assume is because high frequencies are masking the distortion, whereas in Dream 3 or the pianos I play there is nothing on top.

So now my theories are two:
- my speakers are damaged
- my speakers used to be better then me, but now my ears graduated and started noticing their shortcomings

What do you think? Have you had this happening to you?
I have a pair of JBL LSR2328P coming out of my Apollo 8.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't hear any distortion. Could it be the piano sound is exciting/buzzing something in the room?

Can you record the distorted sound so we can hear it?

WW
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Way View Post
I don't hear any distortion. Could it be the piano sound is exciting/buzzing something in the room?

Can you record the distorted sound so we can hear it?

WW
You are right, I forgot to include some very important details.

There is nothing buzzing in the room. The room is pretty much empty, and I'm 100% sure the distortion is coming from the area where the speakers are located, where there is nothing but the speakers and the stands. I can distinctly hear it coming from the left and the right speakers.

This is where it gets weird: the closer I get to the speakers, the less noticeable the distortion becomes. Could there be some psycho acoustic explanation to this?

I have uploaded some samples:
- one from monitoring position (roughly 1,5 meters from the speakers)
- one with the mic up close to the cone, about 2 inches away. This is level-matched to the first one
- the first file with a bandpass filtered centered around 2k, the range where I hear the distortion
- the second file with the bandpass filter. Notice how, though the non-filtered file was level-matched, the distortion is less noticeable here
Attached Files

mon pos filt.wav (1.96 MB, 24 views)

mon pos.wav (1.96 MB, 22 views)

up close filt.wav (1.96 MB, 24 views)

up close.wav (1.96 MB, 24 views)

Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search