The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage vs. Ai 87 500 Series Preamps
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Vintage vs. Ai 87

So I picked up a 87 ai in the 60k serial number range..I popped it thru vp28 to test it..at a 4 inches and cardiod it was fat of course but it didn't emit that 600-1.8 "cab forward" of the late 60-70's 87's ..personally I found it more pleasing but not refletive of the original...other opinions?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

i have personally found them to be somewhat similar other than the headroom issues...

however, the 4 battery pack 87's we have all sound fairly different... age, abuse, etc. you know the story

i could make a recording with either
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

The ai's have a "bite" that the older ones don't, and on some things I kinda like it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I like both for different things. We have an old one which distorts on anything remotely loud but it’s brilliant on acoustic guitars and instruments or voiceover. The new ones sound really great for pop vocals into a tube pre and around a drum set.
Old 4 days ago
The vintage is more balanced. Not that annoying mid peak around 3k and isn't to thick around 400hz which is my main complaint about the AI.

Both are usable but not awesome if you got some other highend mics to chose from you'd probably reach for those first
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

The Neumann spec for that capsule is +-2db at any given freq. that’s a 4 db variance to be in spec, so some will certainly be brighter/fatter/thinner/peakier than others....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

i have read that there are internal circuitry differences between the 2.

the old original 87s, are supposed to have a section of circuit, which negatively attenuates the high frequencies slightly.

the newer Ai lacks that circuit, and is therefore brighter. according to what i have read.

a technician would be able to give details

i only have the old genuine 87s here, so i can't accurately comment on the new Ai.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this circuitry business.

thanks Buddha
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I think they derive fig 8 differently and there are a few circuit changes..plus lol I'm old..I was like where are the battery slots...yeah I heard the 400 and like it rather take it out than have a hole there in the first place
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
So I picked up a 87 ai in the 60k serial number range..I popped it thru vp28 to test it..at a 4 inches and cardiod it was fat of course but it didn't emit that 600-1.8 "cab forward" of the late 60-70's 87's ..personally I found it more pleasing but not refletive of the original...other opinions?

Its nothing like the original, electrically. The U87Ai has an increased capsule polarization voltage, no negative feedback capacitor, and a different way of connecting the capsule to the rest of the circuit. All of those modifications add up to 11dB more sensitivity at the capsule, which translates to 6dB more output. The added sensitivity makes the U87Ai easier to drive into distortion.

I own both. Just have to watch what you point it at. Both are great mics, with a wide range of uses. If I could only have 1 mic, the U87 would be it...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I like both
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Other things being equal, I like the sound of the U87i better on its own-more mellow. I realize pairing the AI with an excellent pre, (like Mike T's) helps immensely.

Plus the sonic association with voices like Karen Caprenter's, doesn't hurt either!

Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search